Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Postby Shadows » 17 Mar 2016, 09:40

Crotalus wrote:Yes, this is a very useful mod and it's a shame it needs to be a SCD-mod, I think Shadows should aim to get it integrated into FAF. An idea could be to let FAF shadow /texture/ui/common/game/strategicicons/ in init_faf.lua with the appropiate icon set depending on what icon settings a user wants.
It is possible, but putting it in FAF's lobby is not my decision to make.
Crotalus wrote:Yes, this is annoying. Better if mass storages / fabs have their own icon classification and just let the current mex one be default and everyone should be happy.
I wish it was that simple. The problem is with the compatibility for old versions of ASI. There are a lot of people (the majority) who dont check for updates and run old versions of the mod while feeling pretty content about it. Enforcing new separated files would make some of the units to show up for them without modded icons, making it look like broken teeths and it would be a big lack of consideration.
Shadows

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: Shadows

Postby Lionhardt » 17 Mar 2016, 10:34

i always wished we had a functionality that would check a database of mods and maps ids with their current version number for any new versions, that the person does not have yet. if there are newer veraions of a map or a mod, that he has, then he would get a notification. that would also stop outdated and bugged versions of maps being played...
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby nine2 » 17 Mar 2016, 12:20

Shadows wrote:would make some of the units to show up for them without modded icons, making it look like broken teeths and it would be a big lack of consideration.

I absolutely hate this attitude. Nothing would ever get done if everyone did this.

Not that I agree with the opposite attitude of lets break the entire lobby for a month.

Progress is ok and if people dont like it then thats a choice they make
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby mirroredwang » 25 Mar 2016, 19:33

I tried the mod and would like it much, much more if it changed only the icons of special units and buildings, not normal stuff (engineers, spam units, normal buildings, i think we all have enough common sense for this)

Can you provide us with a "mixed" version between ASI and vanilla FAF?

Otherwise brilliant work i would not have thought possible, but then again, who am I.
mirroredwang

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Topkack

Postby Shadows » 27 Mar 2016, 03:35

mirroredwang wrote:I tried the mod and would like it much, much more if it changed only the icons of special units and buildings, not normal stuff (engineers, spam units, normal buildings, i think we all have enough common sense for this)

Can you provide us with a "mixed" version between ASI and vanilla FAF?

Otherwise brilliant work i would not have thought possible, but then again, who am I.
You are the most important person - the player.

It's already pretty much as you describe how you want it to be with the exception of the engineer symbol. ASI is a mix of old and new symbols. The icons themselves are visually more prominent (with symbol highlighting and markings) and might be bigger if you choose them to be, but the regular "spam units" and normal buildings retain their original vanilla symbols.
Only special units and buildings have new symbols like the radar, the tactical launcher, the stealth field generator and the nuke launcher.

Maybe you doubt in the efficiency of the new symbols or colored markings, but like many well-known players and developers that used it and wrote about it in the past, I can assure you that the markings as well as the new symbols are only an improvement that gives you the ability to grasp a base at a glance.
    Sources:
  • Spoiler: show
    Sheeo is the main developer of FAF and also an old fan of the mod, look at what he wrote about the icons:
    Sheeo wrote:I've played quite a few games with the new version today, and so far I'm digging the new look and feel. They're less intrusive with the colours, and I think this is good for getting people to try it out :)

Nice work Shadows.
    Source: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2740&start=300
    Sir Prize is one of FAF's main tournament directors and balance testers. Look at what he had to say about the icons and their colors in the latest version of the mod:
    Sir Prize wrote:It is glorious :D. I can now play on medium with better functionality than i had on 3.0.2 on large. On large I can tell when the Dark Blue Colour of Death and Bad Intel has upgraded a mex without re-scouting it, which is pretty awesome. On medium I can just switch to the auto-colours to see if a mex is upgraded for that colour and the rest are crystal clear, so not even slightly an issue.

The better functionality I referred to that comes from playing medium is that I can now more easily tell fake PDs from real ones, what upgrade a mex is that is surrounded by storage, whether an ACU is getting an upgrade and what direction my bomber is flying so I can micro it better. Great update.
    Source: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2740&start=300
    Eoinbastian wrote:really great mod, makes seeing important units 100x easier. I dont need to search threw a huge t3 base to find smd or sml or anything anymore.
    Source: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2740&start=180
    Blackster wrote:Hi Shadows,

I have used your mod only once so far but I like it very much already :) Especially making aa visible with the upper orange highlight is something that is very useful (esp. for an Seton's air player ^^).
    Source: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2740&start=190
    Aarhun wrote:A big thanks for your work.
    I am new at FAF (1 month) and was a bit confused by the original one, this mod is just awesome !
    Source: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2740&start=200
    Daiz wrote:I'd just like to drop by to say that this mod is awesome. I've been using it for a while now and it improves the icon readability drastically. I wouldn't think about going back to the default icons at this point.
    Source: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2740&start=40
    Eukanuba wrote:Just to say thank you again for this mod, I've gone up about 150 points since I started using it and I never lose important buildings any more. Great work!
    Source: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2740&start=20

The markings' colors represent 7 simple roles:

Red = Assassination
Pink = Countermeasure
Purple = Stealth
Blue = Defence
Green = Intel
Yellow = Bombardment
Orange = Direct fire

I implore you to give it a little time as there's a solid likelihood that you'll appreciate it as well.
Shadows

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: Shadows

Postby Vee » 22 Apr 2016, 16:36

I was skeptical about this mod at first because it looked ugly to me, but now I think that's just because I was too much used to the old icons. These icons do make it easier to see things. I recommend the smallest size setting.

Is there any way to tweak the icons?
Vee
Evaluator

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Vee

Postby ZeRen » 23 Apr 2016, 11:54

Vee wrote:I was skeptical about this mod at first because it looked ugly to me, but now I think that's just because I was too much used to the old icons. These icons do make it easier to see things. I recommend the smallest size setting.

Is there any way to tweak the icons?

if you know how to use grafic program GIMP/photoshop you can change what ever you want ;)
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby biass » 23 Apr 2016, 12:31

Have you made an version without the white borders around all the inner symbols? im very on the verge of giving this mod a shot and the only thing really stopping me are the white borders right now :)
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Vee » 23 Apr 2016, 20:54

ZeRen wrote:if you know how to use grafic program GIMP/photoshop you can change what ever you want ;)

Right, but where are the files?
Vee
Evaluator

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Vee

Postby Androish » 24 Apr 2016, 05:31

Vee wrote:
ZeRen wrote:if you know how to use grafic program GIMP/photoshop you can change what ever you want ;)

Right, but where are the files?

You need to unzip the file if I remember correctly. then it's just trial and error :)
Androish

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: Androish

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools