Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Advanced strategic icons mod

Postby Shadows » 04 Oct 2013, 22:31

Version 2.1 is ready. offers better quality, smoother icons for experimentals and strategic launchers (Achieved by using transparency to smooth circles), Various fixes and an improved commander icon.
Shadows

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: Shadows

Postby SailorDave » 10 Oct 2013, 22:57

I can't seem to figure out where the installer actually installed the mod to. I can't find the .scd file anywhere. I looked in the gamedata folder, I scanned all of my harddrives, and it just isn't there. Could you package the .scd along with the installer, for those of us who prefer manual installation?
SailorDave

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: SailorDave

Postby Shadows » 12 Oct 2013, 03:18

SailorDave wrote:I can't seem to figure out where the installer actually installed the mod to. I can't find the .scd file anywhere. I looked in the gamedata folder, I scanned all of my harddrives, and it just isn't there. Could you package the .scd along with the installer, for those of us who prefer manual installation?

The problem with this is that it may confuse users, the direction was "one file, one click install, one click uninstall" without complications. I could add an additional download link to the mod file itself in the post, but it would cost me one screenshot (weird forum limitation). maybe i would implement a new option for manual installation in the installer.
Here is the file you're looking for:
Advanced strategic icons 2.1.1 [manual installation].zip
Manual installation: extract the file into C:\ProgramData\FAForever\gamedata folder.
(116.94 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Shadows

Postby Daiz » 04 Nov 2013, 20:05

I'd just like to drop by to say that this mod is awesome. I've been using it for a while now and it improves the icon readability drastically. I wouldn't think about going back to the default icons at this point.
Daiz

FAF User Name: Daiz

Postby Shadows » 04 Nov 2013, 23:08

Daiz wrote:I'd just like to drop by to say that this mod is awesome. I've been using it for a while now and it improves the icon readability drastically. I wouldn't think about going back to the default icons at this point.

Glad to hear it.
Shadows

Postby tzmaster » 26 Nov 2013, 11:57

that great man nice job
i knew this dude personally he does stuff like this with great love and as personal challenge and from personal exp !
cheer up dude
tzmaster

Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Tzmaster

Postby Aulex » 28 Nov 2013, 02:12

Pretty cool mod, i'm trying it out right now, but i have one issue with it, i know it's one of your mod features, but the size of the icons are pretty large, is it possible to make the size adjustable or can you release a smaller version. Keep up the good work!
"Let's start beating ass and die" - drunk TA4Life

"Just because you have a d*** doesn't mean you need to be one...pussy" -Blackdeath

SCOUTING SAVES LIVES
http://imgur.com/YGk0W0o

How to play Sup Com by Ubilaz
http://goo.gl/je83z
Aulex
Contributor

Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: VoR_Aulex

Postby Szakalot » 28 Nov 2013, 10:10

The size of the icons is hardcoded, it appears. The only way to lower it is to increase the resolution. I have the same problem as you do : )
Szakalot

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Szakalot

Postby Shadows » 01 Dec 2013, 04:20

Aulex wrote:Pretty cool mod, i'm trying it out right now, but i have one issue with it, i know it's one of your mod features, but the size of the icons are pretty large, is it possible to make the size adjustable or can you release a smaller version. Keep up the good work!

These icons were designed for high resolutions in mind where things get realy small, did you check that your resolution is the on the highest setting? The higher the resolution - the smaller the icons would get.

The strategic decision to go on the current size was planned in advance, it was made to overcome the fact that supreme commander is not DPI aware, making every icon exaggeratedly small on high resolutions and causing alot of eyestrain.
Unfortunately there is no smaller version in my kitchen. creating a new icon set requires weeks of work.
if i tried to make a smaller version, I'll have to re-draw and repair all the icons from the start, requiring exaggerated time and effort just so that a small amount of people could play on a 10 years old computers or a very small screens.
Shadows

Postby Fernest » 09 Dec 2013, 22:24

I'd like to try this mod, but can't install it.
I must do the manual installation (got FA from steam and the installer does not find the steam folder)
After extraction I got "Advanced strategic icons.nxt", but the folder (\gamedata) is full of .SCD -files
I extracted it into \gamedata and restarted the game, but nothings happens. It is not listed in Mods and no changes are seen in the game.

How do I install it manually?
Fernest
Crusader

FAF User Name: Fernest

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools