Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Postby nine2 » 14 Mar 2016, 11:46

ui mod not possible anyway... that is drawn in c++.

you could do it in ui mod but it would be really really crap
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby ZeRen » 14 Mar 2016, 12:46

Lionhardt wrote:Ah, your mod does not communicate with the game, I see. It's a great mod anyway! The most I like that you can now see immediately if the enemy team has an anti nuke facility. The original icons are just so bad and unintelligible.

yea before this mod it was pain play this game, I didnt know what opponent's eco is , if he has nuke...
and thx to this mod I was able to do my own icons for mexes, so game for me become more enjoyable

I just wish I could have separated icons for T1 mex and mass storage,, T2 mass fab and T2 mex,, T3 mass fab and T3 mex...last annoying thing for me (I did a mod for this but it is not UI so.... :(
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby nine2 » 14 Mar 2016, 13:24

i thought fabs had different icons

you can commit your changes to the base FAF
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Postby Shadows » 14 Mar 2016, 18:01

Lionhardt wrote:Ah, your mod does not communicate with the game, I see. It's a great mod anyway! The most I like that you can now see immediately if the enemy team has an anti nuke facility. The original icons are just so bad and unintelligible.

ZeRen wrote:yea before this mod it was pain play this game, I didnt know what opponent's eco is , if he has nuke...
and thx to this mod I was able to do my own icons for mexes, so game for me become more enjoyable

I just wish I could have separated icons for T1 mex and mass storage,, T2 mass fab and T2 mex,, T3 mass fab and T3 mex...last annoying thing for me (I did a mod for this but it is not UI so....

:|
Shadows

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: Shadows

Postby Lionhardt » 14 Mar 2016, 20:30

Sorry, your mod :D

And I am pretty sure with "yea" he did not mean to affirm that I thought he was the author, but rather the other stuff I said.

Anihilnine wrote:i thought fabs had different icons

you can commit your changes to the base FAF

In what folder do the icons go?
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby ZeRen » 14 Mar 2016, 21:31

Shadows wrote:

ZeRen wrote:yea before this mod it was pain play this game, I didnt know what opponent's eco is , if he has nuke...

I just wish I could have separated icons for T1 mex and mass storage,, T2 mass fab and T2 mex,, T3 mass fab and T3 mex...last annoying thing for me (I did a mod for this but it is not UI so....

:|

yes I didnt mean to confirm that it is my mod, sry I didnt noticed that he thought it is my mod, I just wanna help :|

I should pay more attention :(
ZeRen
Evaluator

Postby nine2 » 15 Mar 2016, 14:53

Lionhardt wrote:In what folder do the icons go?

Way more complicate than you would expect

To make a new icon: You need to export images as DDS which requires nvidia plugin for photoshop. The colours mean different things. One of the channels means the hit box that the icon has. It's not just: here is a picture.

To change an icon: Find his mod (its in faforever install folder), rename as zip, unzip it, replace the image file, rezip it, put it back with exact same file name because only it is whitelisted. Maybe there is a shortcut you will have to experiment.

To make a new icon type (by this I mean to invent a totally new type of icon instead of just changing the look of a new icon): make the new DDS file but also edit the blueprint of the unit to point to the new icon. So you could make mercies have a totally different icon with a new filename for example. Then test for desyncs because maybe you and someone without your mod will desync because there is a difference detected. If you instead get your blueprint change integrated into FAF then there will be no desync because everyone will have the same change, but then Shadows will be annoyed at you because you will make old versions of his mod look like crap.

Bet you didn't expect that.

At some point I started building a program to help make icon sets but it was pretty hard and annoying so I moved onto easier projects. Like watching youtube.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Postby Crotalus » 15 Mar 2016, 23:56

Yes, this is a very useful mod and it's a shame it needs to be a SCD-mod, I think Shadows should aim to get it integrated into FAF. An idea could be to let FAF shadow /texture/ui/common/game/strategicicons/ in init_faf.lua with the appropiate icon set depending on what icon settings a user wants.

ZeRen wrote:I just wish I could have separated icons for T1 mex and mass storage,, T2 mass fab and T2 mex,, T3 mass fab and T3 mex...last annoying thing for me (I did a mod for this but it is not UI so.... :(

Yes, this is annoying. Better if mass storages / fabs have their own icon classification and just let the current mex one be default and everyone should be happy.
Crotalus
Priest

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 102 times
FAF User Name: Crotalus

Postby ZeRen » 16 Mar 2016, 12:46

Crotalus wrote:
Yes, this is a very useful mod and it's a shame it needs to be a SCD-mod, I think Shadows should aim to get it integrated into FAF. An idea could be to let FAF shadow /texture/ui/common/game/strategicicons/ in init_faf.lua with the appropiate icon set depending on what icon settings a user wants.

not sure if I understand... you know, I using some of my own icons I made by gimp , like all mexes, all engis, anti-nuke, all power gens... so I dont wanna use old ones or in original ASI mod (sry Shadow for me mine are better)
Crotalus wrote:Yes, this is annoying. Better if mass storages / fabs have their own icon classification and just let the current mex one be default and everyone should be happy.

this would require 3 new pictures (well not new, but t1 mex and mass storage would have same icons just with different name) and change name of icon in 3 blueprints and that's it very easy

not problem even for older ASI mod ( older ASI would miss 3 icon picture and becouse of that game would use vanila ones for missing picts)
ZeRen
Evaluator

Postby Crotalus » 16 Mar 2016, 13:26

ZeRen wrote:not sure if I understand... you know, I using some of my own icons I made by gimp , like all mexes, all engis, anti-nuke, all power gens... so I dont wanna use old ones or in original ASI mod (sry Shadow for me mine are better)

A more integrated support for players to choose style of strategic icons so they get it from the start so to speak. New players etc would benefit from this. There would still be possible to use your own version of the icons of course.

It's a bit of work though and that usually means nothing will happen :)
Crotalus
Priest

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 102 times
FAF User Name: Crotalus

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools