Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Postby Sheeo » 03 Aug 2014, 15:47

To anyone stumbling into an issue with the latest patch, I have reported it here: http://www.faforever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8298

It's not shadows fault that they stopped working :)

I'd like to reiterate what nice work this mod is. I really can't play the game at my resolution without them!
Support FAF on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

Peek at our continued development on github: https://github.com/FAForever
Sheeo
Councillor - Administrative

Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 233 times
FAF User Name: Sheeo

Postby Shadows » 04 Aug 2014, 02:02

partytime wrote:
A normal mod can change which icon each unit displays.

For example if you look at blueprint URL0401_unit.bp (scathis)

You could change this to whatever you want, I'm pretty sure including files that don't exist yet:
StrategicIconName = 'icon_experimental_generic',

So this is indeed possible, and perhaps opens up other ideas for you as well.
I never said it was impossible.

partytime wrote:As a new question, did you make the icons by hand by the way? Like thats a lot of work to make all of the different combinations, or did you have some clever way of stitching them all together?
By hand.

Blackster wrote:Sure, I totally agree with your concers about adding those highlights (tho I think t4s are even more important and powerful than any pd/aa). The initial idea was to make the game enders pop out a little more for they usualy are - as the name already tells - game ending and should not be missed (or is that part of the gameplay? Scouting right and putting your attention there?).
EIther way, you decide, it's your project after all :)
I might enlarge their icon in the next version if there's sufficient demand. You think it's necessary?

Destructor wrote:Should be a ON/OFF button on the corner of the match!!
an ON/OFF button for the orange role indications?

Sheeo wrote:To anyone stumbling into an issue with the latest patch, I have reported it here: http://www.faforever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8298

It's not shadows fault that they stopped working :)

I'd like to reiterate what nice work this mod is. I really can't play the game at my resolution without them!
Thank you, it's nice to know that there are people who take care of business when things like that happen.
Shadows

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: Shadows

Postby Aarhun » 05 Aug 2014, 09:19

A big thanks for your work.
I am new at FAF (1 month) and was a bit confused by the original one, this mod is just awesome !

Anyway, have you a way to prioritize display of some icon from another ?
It's a bit annoying that mass storage overlaps mexs :)
Aarhun

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Aarhun

Postby Shadows » 05 Aug 2014, 14:13

Aarhun wrote:A big thanks for your work.
I am new at FAF (1 month) and was a bit confused by the original one, this mod is just awesome !

Anyway, have you a way to prioritize display of some icon from another ?
It's a bit annoying that mass storage overlaps mexs :)
Unfortunately the strategic icons in supreme commander are hardcoded to stack by creation time. There isn't any priority value to tamper with. I already reduced the size of the mass storage icon in version 3.0 for all size sets to fight the overlapping mexs effect but this move helped only to a certain degree.
This issue exist with the original icons as well, forcing macro players to zoom in for every mass extractor's upgrade.
You can try using the small icons' set where the mass storage icon is actually smaller than the unmodded original. If the issue is resolved in this set then I might copy the icon to the others as well.

Examination from medium zoom level on 1920x1080 resolution:

overlapping mexs.png
overlapping mexs.png (22.54 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
Shadows

Postby Sir Prize » 08 Aug 2014, 11:04

Well I initially didn't like the mod but now I'm a fan after a few plays, good job Shadows!

One thing I'd say is that it's very hard to see the player colour around the T1 mex icon (I play on medium), so it's difficult to know when you're looking at a scouted T1 mex whether it's dead/upgraded or not. Hardly gamebreaking, it might make me scout more, but it's the one thing that the originals have over these and it is slightly annoying.

The icon is fifty-fifty white border and player colour inside a black outline that is at least as thick as the player colour at the moment. Could this be tweaked so there's more colour to see when it's gone dark?

Cheers
Sir Prize
Evaluator

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Sir-Prize

Postby Shadows » 09 Aug 2014, 03:19

RandomNameGenerator wrote:Well I initially didn't like the mod but now I'm a fan after a few plays, good job Shadows!

One thing I'd say is that it's very hard to see the player colour around the T1 mex icon (I play on medium), so it's difficult to know when you're looking at a scouted T1 mex whether it's dead/upgraded or not. Hardly gamebreaking, it might make me scout more, but it's the one thing that the originals have over these and it is slightly annoying.

The icon is fifty-fifty white border and player colour inside a black outline that is at least as thick as the player colour at the moment. Could this be tweaked so there's more colour to see when it's gone dark?

Cheers
Yes. I could decrease the size of inner white border (The symbol's hightlight) a little. You know, that's one of the downsides with the medium size, it gives you the same inner symbol size of the large size with overall smaller icons but at the expense of the player's colour area.
Shadows

Postby Sir Prize » 10 Aug 2014, 03:49

It might help to adjust the black lines around the outside of the icon and the green square in the middle. I'm trialling the large icons again now that I've gotten used to the medium ones to avoid this issue so see how that goes I guess.

Thanks again man, I really like this mod to the extent that it's quite hard to watch casts in the default setting.
Sir Prize
Evaluator

Postby Shadows » 10 Aug 2014, 04:13

RandomNameGenerator wrote:It might help to adjust the black lines around the outside of the icon and the green square in the middle. I'm trialling the large icons again now that I've gotten used to the medium ones to avoid this issue so see how that goes I guess.

Thanks again man, I really like this mod to the extent that it's quite hard to watch casts in the default setting.
Hearing how much the mod is useful is my only reward.
Right now I'm experimenting with a new solution that relates to the issue that you brought up. a lot of people complain about overlapping mass storage icons and my plan is to decrease their size even further in order to fight this issue. It means smaller mass storage icons but also smaller T1 mass extractors (they share the same icon). It will cost visual consistency and visibility, the question is whether it's worth it.

Examination of adjacent T3 mass extractor after 7 zoomouts on 1920x1080 resolution:

old vs new.png
old vs new.png (7.87 KiB) Viewed 2352 times

Should I make the change?
Shadows

Postby Aarhun » 10 Aug 2014, 10:30

It seems good yes, I say make the change. We test it, and if it is not that good you can still revert in future version :)

RandomNameGenerator wrote:Thanks again man, I really like this mod to the extent that it's quite hard to watch casts in the default setting.

This, the casts would be much clearer :p
But I guess old good player would be upset. :(
Aarhun

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Aarhun

Postby Sir Prize » 10 Aug 2014, 13:01

I actually am not to sure about doing that for mexes, as then the issue with not being able to tell if a T1 mex is upgraded or not would then be there in large settings. What WOULD be good to reduce the size of is walls, in large settings they obscure the icon for the PD they are always built around.

If my memory is right the e-storage used to have the same symbol as a pgen - when was this seperated and who by? I guess if there's a way to seperate m-stor from mex you'd have done it though :(.
Sir Prize
Evaluator

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools