Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Postby Sheeo » 16 Jul 2014, 10:09

SilverKronos wrote:Hello,
i found a bug with the strategics icons, they simply disappear. (is it a bug or a shortcut i activated, i don' know ).
I use the mod : Advanced strategics icons (it might be related )
Here is a screenshot of my problem :Image
I didn't have this problem in the previous game and in the next game.
There are my logs (coming later, have connection issues)

Did you accidentally press ctrl+v?
Support FAF on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

Peek at our continued development on github: https://github.com/FAForever
Sheeo
Councillor - Administrative

Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 233 times
FAF User Name: Sheeo

Postby nine2 » 16 Jul 2014, 14:50

ctrl v - wouldnt grey stuff disappear as well?
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby SilverKronos » 18 Jul 2014, 12:49

Yeah it was not the shortcut ctrl+v, there was some errors in the game.log !! thanks to Shadows to point me the procedure if i want to correct this issue, but for the moment, this issue does not came back yet. Wait and see !
English is not my native language, so correct me if i make mistakes. thx
SilverKronos

Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: SilverKronos

Postby Shadows » 20 Jul 2014, 13:07

As Ze_Pilot requested, I've made an ad for the ASI mod and designed it to to be exactly like the previous map ads, hopefully it would be enough to star in the what's new page:

1.jpg
1.jpg (236.6 KiB) Viewed 2431 times
Shadows

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: Shadows

Postby Lu_Xun_17 » 29 Jul 2014, 07:13

i feel like those new icons are bigger than the previous ones. otherwise i would probably play with those.
But good job!
Lu_Xun_17
Contributor

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 224 times
FAF User Name: LuXy

Postby --- » 29 Jul 2014, 19:28

Hi Shadows,

I have used your mod only once so far but I like it very much already :) Especially making aa visible with the upper orange highlight is something that is very useful (esp. for an Seton's air player ^^).

I picked that idea up and applied it to the t4 units, which will make it easier to detect a GC walking through the waterpast all the navy t4s and also game enders in the heat of the end-game battle with dozens of t4s all over the map (Seton's...). With some units it's a bit hard to decide where to put them (a FB and a spider I would consider rather a mere land unit while a Megalith is a strong land as well as navy unit). For now I was just very "strict" and put the units acorrding to what they are capable to fight against.

With the Megalith, there could be left some space between the lower (navy) and side highlights (land). That's fine tuning then.
The arty symbol was kept very simple and could be replaced by something different of course. For the satellite I put together slightly different versions - you get the idea. You also can round the endges of the orange highlights etc.

I mean, it's all up to you obviously, I just wanted to chip in and share my thoughts :) [thanks to whootle for making me think about this topic]

Enough talking, just have a look at the image attached.

Cheers and thanks for your effort and great work.
Last edited by --- on 30 Jul 2014, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
---
Priest

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Shadows » 30 Jul 2014, 00:31

Lu_Xun_17 wrote:i feel like those new icons are bigger than the previous ones. otherwise i would probably play with those.
But good job!
There are 3 sizes from which you can choose in the installer. Have you tried the small version? that one is no bigger then the original icons. Also note that you can get detailed descriptions about any size if you put the mouse cursor over it.

Blackster wrote:Hi Shadows,

I have used your mod only once so far but I like it very much already :) Especially making aa visible with the upper orange highlight is something that is very useful (esp. for an Seton's air player ^^).

I picked that idea up and applied it to the t4 units, which will make it easier to detect a GC walking through the waterpast all the navy t4s and also game enders in the heat of the end-game battle with dozens of t4s all over the map (Seton's...). With some units its a bit hard to decide where to put them (a FB and a spider I would consider rather a mere land unit while a Megalith is a strong land as well as navy unit). For now I was just very "strict" and put the units acorrding to what they are capable to fight against.

With the Megalith, there could be left some space between the lower (navy) and side highlights (land). That's fine tuning then.
The arty symbol was kept very simple and could be replaced by something different of course. For the satellite I put together slightly different versions - you get the idea. You also can round the endges of the orange highlights etc.

I mean, it's all up to you obviously, I just wanted to chip in and share my thoughts :) {thanks to whootle for making me think about this topic]

Enough talking, just have a look at the image attached.

Cheers and thanks for your effort and great work.
That's some intresting concepts you got there. The problem is that T4 units are all directed to the same circular icon. If you modify it you will change it for all of them and this attribution is hardcoded in the game.
Another thing is that the orange highlights were meant only for static defences because in supreme commander they usually pack huge amout of power, making them very importent compared to the mobile units that can get disorienting if you clog them with too much information (just imagine colors flying everywhere). I could make the exception with the experimentals but it would break consistency - one of the most important aspects that prevent confusion.
Shadows

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: Shadows

Postby nine2 » 30 Jul 2014, 01:58

Shadows wrote:The problem is that T4 units are all directed to the same circular icon. If you modify it you will change it for all of them and this attribution is hardcoded in the game.

A normal mod can change which icon each unit displays.

For example if you look at blueprint URL0401_unit.bp (scathis)

You could change this to whatever you want, I'm pretty sure including files that don't exist yet:
StrategicIconName = 'icon_experimental_generic',

So this is indeed possible, and perhaps opens up other ideas for you as well.

As a new question, did you make the icons by hand by the way? Like thats a lot of work to make all of the different combinations, or did you have some clever way of stitching them all together?
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby --- » 30 Jul 2014, 05:04

Sure, I totally agree with your concers about adding those highlights (tho I think t4s are even more important and powerful than any pd/aa). The initial idea was to make the game enders pop out a little more for they usualy are - as the name already tells - game ending and should not be missed (or is that part of the gameplay? Scouting right and putting your attention there?).
EIther way, you decide, it's your project after all :)
---
Priest

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Destructor » 01 Aug 2014, 06:07

Should be a ON/OFF button on the corner of the match!!
I really waiting for logical arguments to nerf ACUs.
Destructor

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: BRS_DESTRUCTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools