Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Advanced strategic icons mod

Postby vxu » 20 Feb 2014, 18:40

+1 nice stuff.

could this be distributed as a regular mod/zip? ppl might be uneasy cause of the exe as distrbution form.
vxu
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dragonfire » 20 Feb 2014, 19:30

+1 for FAF integration (maybe as option)
My native language is not english, please correct me, because I want to improve my skills # Resource Overview
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Dragonfire

Postby Shadows » 20 Feb 2014, 21:18

vxu wrote:+1 nice stuff.

could this be distributed as a regular mod/zip? ppl might be uneasy cause of the exe as distrbution form.
I did so at first but when the Steam version came to mind and FAF started developing its own units - It became necessary to install separate files with different formats deep within hidden folders' paths that are different from system to system (That's how modding works with FAF), making the manual installation into a confusing process. With the Steam version alone I've noticed so many confused users that didn't knew what was their FA's path or even the path of their Steam folder. That's why I came to conclusion that a single centralized installer is the best thing.
Exposing regular mod files on the other hand would encourage people to make mistakes while losing futures. For example: If a FAF player install the ASI mod only on the standalone installation of FA - he wouldn't see all the modded icons in-game and that would make him believe that the mod is broken. An unacceptable scenario.
In addition, a single installer makes it easy for me to publish updates faster because it's all automatic and I don't have to repackage every update into different mod versions nor uploading them one by one every time.

Dragonfire wrote:+1 for FAF integration (maybe as option)
Could you repeat that?
Shadows

Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: Shadows

Postby necxelos » 20 Feb 2014, 23:23

Shadows wrote:
Dragonfire wrote:+1 for FAF integration (maybe as option)
Could you repeat that?

I could:
+1 for FAF integration :D
Could be an option in video settings menu to choose if You want standard icons or advanced 8-)

P.S. As for ZIP vs EXE discussion: You could just post a list of files in Advanced Icons for those of use who (for example) want to change single icon for something of their own.
Supreme Commander FAF, Supreme Commander 2 RVE, Planetary Annihilation: Titans - those are only good RTS games left!
necxelos

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: necxelos

Postby Shadows » 21 Feb 2014, 11:50

necxelos wrote:I could:
Could be an option in video settings menu to choose if You want standard icons or advanced 8-)
FA does not allow to load enything in real time, it has to be done before the loading of the level. That's just how FA works.
necxelos wrote:P.S. As for ZIP vs EXE discussion: You could just post a list of files in Advanced Icons for those of use who (for example) want to change single icon for something of their own.
Doing that will hurt the generally accepted standard. Video casts would show different icons with different symbols, pissing people off.. It would only contribute to the confusion and chaos in a game that is already complicated.
Right now we have 2 icon standards, the ASI and the original while their symbols are similar and familiar. Customization is great by itself but you have to think about it for the long run, expected and acceptable standard is of utmost importance.
You see, after the rights of the game were sold and its creator compeny abandon it, this game become an orphan without no one official to take care of its standards.. Because of that it became our (The mod creators) responsibility to take care of them as the ones who introduce the change.
Shadows

Re: Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Postby Dragonfire » 21 Feb 2014, 13:05

Can you maybe add a console installer?

My idea:
Instead of a mod vault ...
A installer is downloaded and called over console ...
Like sudo apt-get from linux ...
My native language is not english, please correct me, because I want to improve my skills # Resource Overview
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Postby Shadows » 21 Feb 2014, 13:34

Dragonfire wrote:Can you maybe add a console installer?

My idea:
Instead of a mod vault ...
A installer is downloaded and called over console ...
Like sudo apt-get from linux ...

A general installer for replacing FAF's mod vault? Why? And why as a command line tool?
Shadows

Postby Dragonfire » 21 Feb 2014, 13:42

Call a console command over pyton to install your mod ...
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Postby Shadows » 21 Feb 2014, 14:45

Dragonfire wrote:Call a console command over pyton to install your mod ...
For that you've got the installer.. Doing it through python would make any difference?
Shadows

Postby necxelos » 21 Feb 2014, 17:07

Shadows wrote:
necxelos wrote:I could:
FA does not allow to load enything in real time, it has to be done before the loading of the level. That's just how FA works.

I meant implementing it as a FAF feature, as a patch. Not featured mod but default option.

Shadows wrote:
necxelos wrote:P.S. As for ZIP vs EXE discussion: You could just post a list of files in Advanced Icons for those of use who (for example) want to change single icon for something of their own.
Doing that will hurt the generally accepted standard. Video casts would show different icons with different symbols, pissing people off.. It would only contribute to the confusion and chaos in a game that is already complicated.
Right now we have 2 icon standards, the ASI and the original while their symbols are similar and familiar. Customization is great by itself but you have to think about it for the long run, expected and acceptable standard is of utmost importance.
You see, after the rights of the game were sold and its creator compeny abandon it, this game become an orphan without no one official to take care of its standards.. Because of that it became our (The mod creators) responsibility to take care of them as the ones who introduce the change.

Even the bigger reason to make it a default FAF iconset (which can't be edited and can be changed only to game default ones) so the ranked games are identical and if someone want to use it as a mod only (like it is now) he can tinker with it and play offline as he desires (with icons changed to tiny little pigs of he want so).
Supreme Commander FAF, Supreme Commander 2 RVE, Planetary Annihilation: Titans - those are only good RTS games left!
necxelos

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: necxelos

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools