Change mass point icon color

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Change mass point icon color

Postby PerfectWay » 06 Apr 2019, 17:49

Hi, all

Maybe someone knows how to change the color for the icons on the points of mass and the color of the animation of their glow. Now they are green, can we make them blue, for example?

I looked through the textures of the SCFA and found only icons for the panel with the amount of resources.
PerfectWay
Crusader

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: LastDragon

Re: Change mass point icon color

Postby PerfectWay » 06 Apr 2019, 19:04

I think I found them. How can I replace files from the env/Common/splats folder? Usual hook does not work.
PerfectWay
Crusader

Postby DDDX » 10 Apr 2019, 21:57

this could be cool as f**k
With a little coding, making the newely coloured mass point into a "super mass" that can only be exploited by a custom mass extractor, and gives x5 yield...
Think of the strategic significance of placing a couple of those in the middle of the map...or sniping the enemy's home base super mass mex
Hell, we should make this with the hydro as well - a 2x sized hydro spot, for a x2 sized, x10 costing hydrogenerator, that yields a ton of energy....give the enemy something to focus to cripple your economy :p

PerfectWay, please let me know what you found out/managed to do with it.
Check out my 2 maps: "Survival_Mayhem&BO_3d_v1" "Survival_Mayhem&BO_3d_RPG"
as well as my mod: "Survival Mayhem&BO balance"
-- let me know of any bugs or issues regarding those 3.
DDDX

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
FAF User Name: DDDX

Postby PerfectWay » 12 Apr 2019, 19:06

Hi, DDDX
Now i know how modify visual part: mass_marker.dds and mass_strategic.dds (and same for hydro) in env/Common/splats.
But it only visual changes.
I thought about making some mass points special, so that the production from them would have a multiplying factor.
For example, Tech 1 mass extractor
(green point) [normal] +2
(blue point) [average] + 2 * 4
(purple point) [super] + 2 * 8

To implement this, you need to somehow save the value of the multiplier in the description of the marker and then retrieve it when the structure is built. While I do not know whether it can be done at all.
In addition, it is not clear how to customize the display of mass points depending on this value. I have never found the use of these symbolic texture names anywhere in Lua code to change them to fit additional logic.

Can someone have any ideas for at least some of the problems described? That would be a big help.
PerfectWay
Crusader

Postby DDDX » 12 Apr 2019, 23:49

yeah, we would need to make a new mass extractor point entity and then have a specific metal extractor be only buildable on those types of mass points...

A possible workaround could be a mod - imagine a certain building or even a unit, that "drills" into wherever you tell it to go and to use its drill ability in a certain location.
The drill ability creates a new mass deposit on the map, creates a different colored splat for it, the script saves the position and disables any unit around it from building anything on it other than a super mass extractor - which yields bonus mass from it, when built.

This way we could use regular mass points, with different visuals, and giving different yield values.
Hell, it can even be scripted so that it can only be done on a certain area of the map, like for example the middle of it, and then you place different terrain in the same radius around the spot where the mass point can be "summoned"... and only in limited numbers, for instance 2 per player.

I know this is not the same thing, but if we cannot modify core files, perhaps workarounds like this that emulate the same thing can be made via mods. Heck, even a map script could probably do this...
Check out my 2 maps: "Survival_Mayhem&BO_3d_v1" "Survival_Mayhem&BO_3d_RPG"
as well as my mod: "Survival Mayhem&BO balance"
-- let me know of any bugs or issues regarding those 3.
DDDX

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
FAF User Name: DDDX

Return to Mods & Tools