Navy factory

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Navy factory

Postby Evildrew » 02 Apr 2019, 14:00

QuestionMarkNoob wrote:I have noticed that with smaller ships like frigates the unit will firstly turn its head into the naval factory and then turn again in order to move out. This whole process sometimes takes up to 5 seconds and seems to be related to this move order.

For some factions this sometimes isn’t the case, while it is particularly bad for Cybran frigates for some reason. If you try it in a sandbox it is its clearly visible and reproducible most of the time.
When I tested it with UEF factories however the issue wasn’t really present, or at least not to the same extent as with Cybran. Also, it might be related to where the factory is facing.

Actually, now that I am testing it more thoroughly, it seems like battleships are also affected pretty severely sometimes. They don’t smash their head into the naval factory, but they sometimes just randomly make 360 degree turns instead of rolling out. It only happens sometimes, and it also depends on how many engies are assisting the fac. Overall it seems to happen randomly.

We can consider not microing engies into the right position when assisting the factory as lack of skill -_-

But on a serious note, the issue mainly shows with T3 navy units that roll off southwards, interestingly T3 Aoen and Seraphim boats have much less problems getting out of the entangling factories as uef and cybran do when rolling out northwards...
Evildrew

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 36 times
FAF User Name: Evildrew

Postby ____ » 02 Apr 2019, 14:18

That wasn't my point. What I said happens even without any engies assisting the factory. I also tested it with all engies behind the factory, none were in the way of the unit being built and messing with pathing. Adding engies hurts even when they are in the right place because the unit somtimes glitches through the factory and then gets blocked by the engies anyway.
____

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Evildrew » 02 Apr 2019, 14:27

Just a hunch, I noticed that UEF and Cybran battleships have their central bone off centre while sera and aoen look to be exactly in the middle, my rolloff modifications showed to work for all T3 going out of the naval factory southwards, but uef and cybran needed more time to get to the rolloff point when going north. It might be possible that the Unit spin rotates the ships around their central axis being the parent bone and that makes the positioning be a little off between going out south/north.

I think we can rework the lod0 files to ensure that boats have the parent bone (f.ex. UES0302) in the middle as I believe it shouldnt affect anything ingame. It is visibile on the screenshot below how the spawning location on the UEF battleship is off. I am not sure if the parent bone is maybe a little more on the left or right of the absolute centre but that could also be affecting the roll off. Would need to check in blender.

It could also be the attachpoint on the factory that is off.
Attachments
BS.png
BS.png (686.9 KiB) Viewed 947 times
Evildrew

Postby Uveso » 02 Apr 2019, 15:26

Evildrew wrote:Sounds good, you have 24 hours -_-

I am sorry, but tomorrow is my birthday.
Don't expect me to do anything before Friday :D
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Postby vongratz » 02 Apr 2019, 21:23

Happy Birthday Uveso!!!
vongratz

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Evildrew » 03 Apr 2019, 13:40

Did some more observations and testing on a few maps.

I retested it again in replay Replay UID : 9486337

The left side factory has a smooth roll off, the right side looks buggy. I thought it could be the terrain affecting the positioning of the factory and thereby the roll off. I have no other explanation why the one HQ rolls off smoothly and the other doesnt.

In Replay UID : 9486376

The same as in the previous replay. I also did some random spawns of factories in the ocean. Some of them had nice roll offs, others were a mess. It seemed to be random results, nothing obvious to point at that may be the cause.

In Replay UID : 9486410

Some factories had clean roll offs going north, others going south, none of them had both a clean north&south roll off.

My conclusion is that it is unlikely related to the terrain. All factories spawn the roll off way point in the same position theoretically. Maybe the units spawn off by a tiny margin before going into the roll off move order. What is clear is that the next unit doesnt start construction until the created way point is reached or abandoned (due to too much time spent spinning in circles) by the unit rolling off.
Evildrew

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 07 Apr 2019, 21:15

Is it possible to allow rotation of navy factories as well?

Some spots like setons island have a significant disadvantage with the default rotation of the factory
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Previous

Return to Mods & Tools