UDF basic models reskin

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

UDF basic models reskin

Postby Savi » 26 Oct 2018, 19:38

hi there!
im making a lil resking of udf model and using blender + SupCom importer/exporter.
and when i just loand and export model to game (original model) - it say "desync"... but all exept this looks fine (it dont brake loong replays of humans vs ai)
so i dont change skeleton of model :3

im doing somthing wrong or this fine?

mod it self on current moment :з

download: https://mega.nz/#!BdNBiAwT!Q7hCUHzGaJWj ... 8S27nFR1dA

Spoiler: show
Last edited by Savi on 19 May 2019, 04:29, edited 3 times in total.
Savi

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: TheNeko

Re: model reskin

Postby Exotic_Retard » 26 Oct 2018, 20:12

first off - awesome work! these look great!
the replay desync is called with a checksum of the game state. its hard to say if the model causes the desync or not, it would depend on the bone names and other things that arent visible in the screenshot, but it might not necessarily be due to the changed models.
if i understand this correctly, you are changing base game files and then previewing replays with them? if you modify local files then yes desyncs can happen due to that.
its best to make this into a sim mod so that everyone can have the models easily :>

lastly, i noticed that the normals on your model are curved, this is due to the supcom exporter for blender merging the geometry which causes supcom to render them curved.
i have a modified export script which supports edge sharpness if you would like that :>
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Re: model reskin

Postby Savi » 26 Oct 2018, 20:37

Exotic_Retard wrote:first off - awesome work! these look great!

thanx!

Exotic_Retard wrote:lastly, i noticed that the normals on your model are curved, this is due to the supcom exporter for blender merging the geometry which causes supcom to render them curved.

i using normal mapping and its baked from zbrush to "merging" verticles... with a lil softer corners o3o
so it need to be curved)) (model have semi-same poli count =3 )
Spoiler: show

Exotic_Retard wrote:if i understand this correctly, you are changing base game files and then previewing replays with them? if you modify local files then yes desyncs can happen due to that.
its best to make this into a sim mod so that everyone can have the models easily :>

im new at this o3o
as i think - mod is mod, and all need upload it to play and editing of "units.scd" dont need that.
and i owerride original after editing with export.
cos really i dont change anything exept models.

really want only "decorative" skin.

ps: i think this causes by different bit depth of the coordinates of the bones. so its technically correctable cos it dont does not involve real desync but shows it message. and i have no idea how fix that.(its not a not a disaster but annoying)
Savi

Re: UDF basic models reskin

Postby Savi » 29 Oct 2018, 23:31

so as i have no idea how fix "desync error" - it make no sense to do a "reskin" more.
here 5 models - ready for use in your mods:
Download

ps: designed for inserting in "units.scd" file (do not do that for multiplayer)
ps2: models on sketchfab preview
Savi

Postby Franck83 » 30 Oct 2018, 11:29

Really nice 3D models. I would be interested to hire you to make some models for my mod ! tell me if you are interested ! It will concern ACU models.

It desyncs because all players don't have same models.

You need to bring this units into a mod. So players will auto download theses models when playing multi. And it will not desync anymore. I understand that it needs some basic mod making skills.
Alliance of Heroes Mod is out ! Try it ! It's in the Mod Vault !
Franck83
Evaluator

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 122 times
FAF User Name: Franck83

Postby Savi » 30 Oct 2018, 13:54

Franck83 wrote:it desyncs because all players don't have same models.

yep and thats not normal: when you take orignal model, imprort-export it( with no edit) and put it back - game say that they are different. and even more - it breaking replays on "some" models (not on all) xDD
that mean - i do not understend something or expoter a lil broken :3

Franck83 wrote:Really nice 3D models. I would be interested to hire you to make some models for my mod ! tell me if you are interested ! It will concern ACU models.

thanx and sounds fun =3
i need time to think, but thanx for offering.
Savi

Postby Azure_Spectrum » 12 Nov 2018, 07:38

Looks really clean and new, I like. Going to try them too, btw is it just UEF t1?
Azure_Spectrum
Crusader

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Azure_Spectrum

Postby CDRMV » 15 Nov 2018, 02:44

Hello TheNeko :),

Wow really good work on these Models. :)
They look fantastic and hope they will be come more in the future for each Techlevel and Faction. :)

But one thing makes me a little bit worry:
You work with the newest Blender Exporter and Importer for the Game.
Which Blender version do you use to make these models?
I use two Blenderversions for my own Modproject since 8 Years:
Blender 2.43 for creating the Models, animations and Texture. (It is much easier for me)
Blender 2.71 for an second export to fix an bug with the normal texture.
But I have get the experience in the past:
If the Details of an Model are too high the Exporter will not export it in both Versions.
That is very annoying sometimes, so maybe you could get this problem too on larger and more detailed models.

All in all keep up the good work and hope you will create your own Mod with these awesome Units. :)

Best regards
CDRMV
CDRMV

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: CDRMV

Postby Savi » 27 Jan 2019, 21:32

Azure_Spectrum wrote:Looks really clean and new, I like. Going to try them too, btw is it just UEF t1?

yep t1 =3
feel free to use it in any mods.
but note that if u just use it as it is for replacing original - it will desync. for mods all fine.
and i have no idea how fix that.

CDRMV wrote:Hello TheNeko :),

Wow really good work on these Models. :)
They look fantastic and hope they will be come more in the future for each Techlevel and Faction. :)

But one thing makes me a little bit worry:
You work with the newest Blender Exporter and Importer for the Game.
Which Blender version do you use to make these models?
I use two Blenderversions for my own Modproject since 8 Years:
Blender 2.43 for creating the Models, animations and Texture. (It is much easier for me)
Blender 2.71 for an second export to fix an bug with the normal texture.
But I have get the experience in the past:
If the Details of an Model are too high the Exporter will not export it in both Versions.
That is very annoying sometimes, so maybe you could get this problem too on larger and more detailed models.

All in all keep up the good work and hope you will create your own Mod with these awesome Units. :)

Best regards
CDRMV

i use 2.79+supcom expoter.
im not sure what normal u try to export but...better make it handmade from basic normal map. me use costom extporter profive for substance painter, as saying its specification.
if u need Details - use bake to normal maps, do not try use hight policount :з i belive that expoter have limit.
Savi

Postby Uveso » 12 Feb 2019, 09:39

TheNeko wrote:so as i have no idea how fix "desync error" - it make no sense to do a "reskin" more.

I don't see any problem with this.

Lets say you have done a full reskin of all UEF units.
Then you have only 2 things to do:
1. Set the mod as sim mod inside mod_info.lua (ui_only = false). This way all players need the mod, or the game can't start. (This will prevent a desync)
2. Upload the mod to the vault. If the host has this mod activated, then our FAF client will take care that all players have this mod installed.

This way you can share your work and you don't risk any desyncs.
(If you reskin all factions, then we can implement this into the game directly ^^)

Also if you need any help with this, just ask.
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Next

Return to Mods & Tools