UI mod: [e] please

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

UI mod: [e] please

Postby Exotic_Retard » 02 Aug 2018, 23:26

hey kids!

its that time of the year again when a ui mod comes out and maybe it does something!

have you ever been in that situation when you build loads of stealth fields and then get your power sniped? Or your ally gives you an omni without telling? built too many radars by accident?

we all know what happens then - you get hit with a crippling energy stall and until you figure out which of the 200 units is doing that, none of your intel works anyway but keeps draining your energy! well worry not since Dr Retard fixed it! and not just in some balance mod but right here for you!

Since every time you stall all your stuff turns off already, theres never a reason to leave them running for that period! So all we have to do is simply make a mod that turns these things off! So simple and so effective!

Who needs this mod?
When stalling energy, have you ever thought that it would be better if you had more income? if you ever answered yes, then this is for you!

6k e stall before:
no stall after:
See? Just like that, we magicked 6k e/s out of nothing! and with absolutely no impact on our game! none of that stuff will be working anyway!

The important bit is that this mod ISNT some ecomanager. It always performs the most obvious action possible, and there are no situations where you dont want it to act.
1.It only turns of intel and stealth, since they are 100% non operational when you stall.
2.It only acts when you are actually stalling, and the units actually turn off. there is no predictive ecomanagement, so you never end up in a situation where it turns of a radar and you needed it.
3.Radars normally turn back on after 5 seconds, resulting in blips flashing up for a moment. worry not, this mod takes that into account and tries to turn everything on after that time, so you still get your radar flashes!
4.Whats more, if any building was turned off before you stalled, the mod detects this, and puts everything back to how it found things when you started stalling, so there is no impact on your decisions! remember, turning off manually is still more effective since its preemptive, while this mod isnt.

This means its pretty simple, designed to run in the background as some quick fix, so you turn it on and never need to worry about it again.

some additional notes:
1.It doesnt affect any eco buildings. use some uimassfabmanager or the like for those.
2.It doesnt toggle shields since that affects their blinking rate. here we only go for the absolute no brainer decisions.
3.It doesnt toggle cybran asf and strats since their stealth is off by default, again only absolute no brainers.
4.It doesnt pause any production or anything like that, the units in the screenshot are pretty much all it affects.

Why use this mod:
1.you get FREE* energy whenever you stall! if you have this mod your energy income will effectively increase at that point! its just like magic! never a reason not to use!
2.your rating increases automatically when you use this mod! since not only do you never have to turn off a radar again, but also this is a true manifestation of the effect that gives pro players more resources when they play! this is how they do it!
3.this is the mod icon:

Drawbacks:
1.some people might get upset that you are using this mod since its "unfair". you can tell them that they too can get this mod, its free!
2.sometimes you might feel a little guilty that you have such a cool mod in your folder, but thats ok, we all feel a little guilty now and again. Remember, the key to happiness is to see the problems you have and actively solve them rather than getting all upset! and this mod just solved your energy stalling issues!

How to get it
a most simple guide, right here and today:
1.Search for [e] on the mod vault and press the search button. download the one called [e] please V4 (or maybe in the future its more than V4!)
2.this mod requires common mod tools v1, so make sure you get that too!
3.dont forget to turn it on in the manage ui mods button in the client
4.laugh at those misfortunate enough to think that they dont need this mod

Questions:
some people were asking me questions about this mod so here they are:

-Q: Does it turn radars and stuff back on afterward?
Of course! it turns them back on after the exact same time as they would normally be off for due to stalling (5 seconds) energy. the only difference is that you get extra income during that time.

-Q: How does your mod decide what to disable? i.e. if you stall and turning off 3 stealth fields would be enough but you also have 10 shields + omni?
The mod doesnt decide what to disable. It waits until the engine has already disabled everything, and then simply toggles the appropriate units for your free energy. This way it ensures that your energy is always free and it never makes a mistake. Also, as mentioned above shields arent toggled since that actually has an impact on gameplay.

also, should i rename this mod to stall r[e]mover? or is its current name better? this is extremely important to the future of the mod so you must leave feedback!
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Re: UI mod: [e] please

Postby nine2 » 03 Aug 2018, 00:03

:(
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Exotic_Retard » 03 Aug 2018, 00:34

why the long face? could this have some hidden meaning? are you making a post here so you can remember to check this thread later? are you realising that it took years for this to be made? whats the secret behind this message?

remember, cheering up makes you into a more productive individual!
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Postby nine2 » 03 Aug 2018, 01:26

sorry, yeah i dont like the idea of mods that automate such things.

however if it was integrated i wouldnt mind
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Franck83 » 03 Aug 2018, 09:18

Nice mod exo.

I know that it was not your main idea, but we can push this concept further by setting custom shutting down priorities (Mass fabs, Radars, Shields, Air factories, extractors, Experimentals buildings...)

As Anni said, such things should be integrated because it gives an apm eco advantage.
Alliance of Heroes Mod is out ! Try it ! It's in the Mod Vault !
Franck83
Evaluator

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 122 times
FAF User Name: Franck83

Postby keyser » 03 Aug 2018, 11:05

nah it's just pure [e]quilibrium cancer, there is tons of drawnback in term of learning, gameplay... I'm even against having such UI mod allowed tbh

also lil question
toggles the appropriate units for your free energy.
how does it knows what to toggle appropriately ? if i've a power stall worth of 2 mobile stealth field, and i've 4 mobile stealth field. 2 army, and 2 mobile stealth field in each army. 1 stealth field is enough to cover each army. Now does the mod knows it need to turn back on 1 mobile stealth field in each army or does it randomly turn back on 2 mobile stealth field, that could end up to be in the same army ?

there is a big impact in terms of gameplay on e snipes for example. Also i'm worried people become lazy about their e balance, not try harding pausing stealth field in advance to prevent powerstall.

Also there is side issue like, if you e stall, you would pause radar and other stuff (nearly everything that consume e) to be able to build the pgen. With your mod, it will pause only the necessary to not powerstall, so when you start building some pgen, boom 2nd power crash. ie, the mod doesn't think about pausing more stuff than necessary to anticipate the e drain from building pgen for example.

In general, i feel like it is just dumbing down the economy logic of people.
Last edited by keyser on 03 Aug 2018, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Franck83 » 03 Aug 2018, 11:47

The problem is that it unload a part of player eco work ?
Alliance of Heroes Mod is out ! Try it ! It's in the Mod Vault !
Franck83
Evaluator

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 122 times
FAF User Name: Franck83

Postby Exotic_Retard » 03 Aug 2018, 12:47

frank:
such a mod that prioritises stuff already exists, its called ecomanager, and theres another one for managing mass fabs which is ui massfab manager.

this mod here is just for being in the background and working its magic, you never need to worry about what it might do, ever! for this reason its also compatible with other ecomanagement mods since its a very light mod, you can run it with almost anything!

that said, it might be possible to improve this mod and make the benefits even bigger, but i havent worked out all the details yet and i need to do it in such a way that again it never makes a mistake. im away for the near future so we dont know yet, but maybe something will come of it!

keyser: ive already written the response for you keyser in the questions part of the post! (it would be great to read my post before writing? xd) here it is again:
-Q: How does your mod decide what to disable? i.e. if you stall and turning off 3 stealth fields would be enough but you also have 10 shields + omni?
The mod doesnt decide what to disable. It waits until the engine has already disabled everything, and then simply toggles the appropriate units for your free energy. This way it ensures that your energy is always free and it never makes a mistake. Also, as mentioned above shields arent toggled since that actually has an impact on gameplay.
when you stall, all your stealth fields turn off. there is no decison made there. this mod only recovers the energy that you spend on having them turned off but still draining energy, (try it out xD stall some energy and see what happens)
likewise when it turns things back on, it doesnt make a decision on that either! the engine turns ALL the stalling stuff back on, and the mod simply lets the engine do its job and stops recovering your free energy at that moment.

since youre a man of culture a person who reviews PRs on the fa repo, you should know this already, but heres just a quick reminder for you:
https://github.com/FAForever/fa/blob/de ... .lua#L2808
all units with an energy drain thats toggleable are disabled and cant be enabled by the player until the timer runs out. if you stall, they are out for 5 seconds (or more!) and theres nothing you can do about it. (but with this mod you at least recover the energy!)

again, there is no gameplay impact other than extra e for you! its a question of do you want more effective e income or not, and for the player that answer is always yes, saying its better to stall all the time than half the time is obviously nonsense xD (why are we even having this discussion)

also whats this got to do with eq anyway, its a ui mod for the enjoyment of all who want it :>
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Postby keyser » 03 Aug 2018, 13:47

ive already written the response for you keyser in the questions part of the post! (it would be great to read my post before writing? xd) here it is again:

yeah i obviously read that, because i did quote a part of it. You explained yourself in a better way this time though. so i'm good with my first point.

again, there is no gameplay impact other than extra e for you! its a question of do you want more effective e income or not, and for the player that answer is always yes, saying its better to stall all the time than half the time is obviously nonsense xD (why are we even having this discussion)

please don't do straw man argument. It's pretty bad.

there is a big impact in terms of gameplay on e snipes for example.
this still stand, even if you just say the opposite without anything to back it up. when you snipe e, you hope your opponent will powerstall because of not having enough e production and having his infrastructure (production, eco, radar, stealth...) still draining e. So it has an obvious impact on the gameplay, since you are saving apm to the guy losing the pgen, so he doesn't have to turn off radar, stealth, jamming...

Also i'm worried people become lazy about their e balance, not try harding pausing stealth field /radar / jamming in advance to prevent powerstall.
still stand

Also if you have a powerstall, and that turning off radar/stealth field/jamming is enough to prevent the powerstall, these units are going to be re-enabled and it gonna crash again. So it's just going to do yo-yo, with stealth field/jamming blinking on and off.

Which lead me to the point, where you don't know how bad is your e during an e stall. if you are -500 e, but there is automatically all your stealth field/jamming/radar being turn off, then you might need 2 T2 pgen to support everything instead of 1 that would be enough to support your e stall.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Farmsletje » 03 Aug 2018, 14:32

What i'm curious about is if there are any steps you need to take before making ui mods like this open for everyone. Are there any rules you have to follow regarding gameplay? Because this mod clearly does affect gameplay and can even decide games for lesser players.

Exotic_Retard wrote:Drawbacks:
1.some people might get upset that you are using this mod since its "unfair". you can tell them that they too can get this mod, its free!

So you are forcing people to play your mod and if they aren't they have, depending on their skill level, a severe disadvantage. Sounds flawless
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Next

Return to Mods & Tools