FA general modding questions

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: FA general modding questions

Postby KeyBlue » 26 May 2017, 14:29

The fun is in winning the game :)
After watching units shoot each other 100s of times its not that novel anymore.
People can imagine the scene happening based on the icon movement.

The main thing the icons are for is simple information transfer.
We need to get as much information about the battlefield with a single glance as possible.
With your simple icons nobody knows what they're up against unless they zoom in.
Just imagine having to constantly zoom in on each new unit to make sure you know what you're up against. shiver..

This could be nice for casual gameplay where you can be zoomed in to witness the glory of battle.
But in competitive gameplay it would be awfull.

The strategic zoom is one of, if not the biggest, strength of SupCom. Removing it or reducing it to what you made, would make the game half as good as it is now. In my opinion.
KeyBlue
Priest

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 93 times
FAF User Name: KeyBlue

Postby MattyWS » 18 Oct 2018, 17:22

What you describe is actually the opposing opinions of TA Players. :P They call it "icon wars". They like the be zoomed into the battles. TA has a megamap with minimal overview information which is what I did to the icons in my mod. :D The idea is to not play the game of icon wars and bring it back to the way TA played. supcome battles close up were kinda lame compared to TA, units didn't feel grounded, they felt holographic and floaty. with my changes I ground the units, making them feel a little more.... grizzly... I guess. No one wants to see the clash of hundreds of tiny floaty hologram tanks, so I make them not look floaty, holographic and increase the sizes, they suddenly feel tough. I wanna see *that* clash, hundreds of *those* tanks fighting is interesting.

One of the other complaints was the sounds in supcom seem more like lots of lasers, while TA sounded more explosive. I'm no sound designer though so I wouldn't be able to fix this fast.

Anyway, the fact that you find "winning" to be the only fun thing about the game surely suggests the game isn't fun. :P
MattyWS

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: MattyWS

Postby neagix » 17 May 2020, 21:23

MattyWS wrote:What you describe is actually the opposing opinions of TA Players. :P They call it "icon wars". They like the be zoomed into the battles. TA has a megamap with minimal overview information which is what I did to the icons in my mod. :D The idea is to not play the game of icon wars and bring it back to the way TA played. supcome battles close up were kinda lame compared to TA, units didn't feel grounded, they felt holographic and floaty. with my changes I ground the units, making them feel a little more.... grizzly... I guess. No one wants to see the clash of hundreds of tiny floaty hologram tanks, so I make them not look floaty, holographic and increase the sizes, they suddenly feel tough. I wanna see *that* clash, hundreds of *those* tanks fighting is interesting.

One of the other complaints was the sounds in supcom seem more like lots of lasers, while TA sounded more explosive. I'm no sound designer though so I wouldn't be able to fix this fast.

Anyway, the fact that you find "winning" to be the only fun thing about the game surely suggests the game isn't fun. :P

Hi MattyWS, I have seen your screenshots here and on TAUniverse and I am really impressed!

Do you have any plans to share this mod? I would really love to play this with my friend and we both think the units are too small.. :oops:

Thanks!
neagix

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 0 time

Previous

Return to Mods & Tools