LOUD AI & Game Speed Improvement Project

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: LOUD AI & Game Speed Improvement Project

Postby HTKatzmarek » 13 Mar 2017, 16:31

Forgot to mention, all of the updates mentioned in the last few posts are now on the FTP site, so feel free to run the updater to retrieve them.
HTKatzmarek

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: HTKatzmarek

Postby paxton676 » 13 Mar 2017, 16:47

HTKatzmarek wrote:Forgot to mention, all of the updates mentioned in the last few posts are now on the FTP site, so feel free to run the updater to retrieve them.

Thank you for response to my long rant about 64 bit etc...

You are second person in this forum to suggest I join teamspeak. I don't even know what that is, I will google it.

whats not to like about his mod? Insane performance increase with best mods, blackops, 4dc, and mayhem.

You must be the update programmer guy. I just ran updater and it is downloading files. :) thank you. :)

6 files updated. checking...
paxton676

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby HTKatzmarek » 13 Mar 2017, 17:01

Teamspeak is the program we use to talk with each other over the internet. I run a TeamSpeak 3 server, so all of us join the server to talk while we play the game, or just to talk about the game or other things. You can get the Teamspeak 3 client here: https://www.teamspeak.com/

Feel free to join us for discussions or games once you have the client. PM us if you want to join, you will need the server IP and password.

Yes, I wrote the SCFA updater program, so if you run into any difficulties with the program, please let me know. I do update the program itself as any issues are reported and resolved, and the program will update itself if an update is required.

We usually distribute updates on a weekly basis using the updater program, so run it on a periodic basis to get the latest updates.
HTKatzmarek

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: HTKatzmarek

Postby Tanksy » 13 Mar 2017, 17:44

Don't get me started on the amount of times I complained about there being much less fancy looking effects ;)

The reason they're all gone and the game might not look as impressive, is because of the performance and memory -- These changes were made very early on in the mod's development, long before I got involved. There's also the fact that up until recently the only people really playing the mod were the people who worked on it the most, and most of these people play the game far zoomed out, rarely zoomed in -- so seeing this graphical fidelity and special effects didn't happen much for them. So, for them, stripping it out was almost a no-brainer.

But I'm trying to push to atleast bring back some simplified effects, at least for missile and rocket weapon explosions or something. Sprouto has said to me before that, with the vast amount of changes made since then that have also helped the performance, re-adding some effects might not have that much of an impact on performance. We would probably have to take a while and run the game multiple times, with effects and without effects, to see the difference. But it's definitely something I would vouch for - I, myself, like to zoom in on the action sometimes.

A separate version of the mod like that is perfectly possible. I've been talking about having the entire mod itself on a separate installation, if anything for neatness. But having two separate mod projects would be a lot of work. Essentially doubling the work done on all the units -- where on the main mod, we would have unit data that is stripped down to a bare minimum, and on the other we would have to keep in or replace some features that would otherwise be removed (like special effects, animations, LOD models, etc)
Tanksy

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Postby paxton676 » 13 Mar 2017, 17:56

Read your comments too tanksy, thank you for feedback. :)

The glitch is fixed. verified. More than that though. It seems you guys disabled the distance fog by default because I entered the command in console and it turned on. OMFG! than you so much for this tanksy :)

I have Teamspeak client installed but asking me to login to account. Please PM me info needed to join. Thank you. :)

Please tell me I don't need a microphone and this isn't voice only? because I don't have a microphone.

I am currently observing a match between two ai. 1:40hrs into match with 1.9K units and fast 4X speed. I am watching the units zip around map with no hickups or anything. This is totally not possible in FAF. I know, was just playing FAF earlier today before switching back to LOUD after update. :) Amazing! I am still blown away by the performance.

I sent HTKatzmarek pm about teamspeak.
paxton676

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Sprouto » 13 Mar 2017, 19:02

Nope - you don't need a microphone. You will be able to hear everyone else and still converse thru normal chat features.
Sprouto
Priest

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 74 times
FAF User Name: Sprouto

Postby Tanksy » 14 Mar 2017, 01:18

The automatic disabling of the fog will be automatic until I make a setting for it in the options menu for anyone who happens to like the fog, although I personally never even knew there was a fog until you mentioned it.
Tanksy

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Mofunkles » 16 Mar 2017, 03:58

Okay finally had a chance to try this out and I haven't gotten very far! I ran into two issues which I am unsure whether are current problems of the mod or if something has gone wrong with my install.

• It seems that almost all sounds are missing. I hear my commander stomping around, some weapon fire (at least from early units). Flight sounds, music, construction sounds are all gone.
  • I get no tool tips on anything other than UI elements. Mousing over units / buildings gives nothing.

The installer says there are no updates / errors so I don't know what the deal is, Halp!
Mofunkles
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Mofunkles

Postby Sprouto » 16 Mar 2017, 06:09

The UI fix is right here;

Place the file from this Dropbox link, in your GAMEDATA folder;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqwmmo10xfg3t6x/lua.scd?dl=0

Make sure that your sounds are set for stereo as FA does not function well with 5.1 or 7.1 sound.

I sincerely apologize for the issues. We've recently moved our development structure and we're getting sorted out. This UI fix should be available via the updater shortly, but I've provided this dropbox link for immediate needs.
Sprouto
Priest

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 74 times
FAF User Name: Sprouto

Postby Mofunkles » 16 Mar 2017, 07:10

Nice on the UI fix.

As for the sound issue, I see no option in FA to set it to stereo? unless you mean windows in which it is stereo... I don't get this issue with FA from steam / FA-Forever, sound plays fine in either.

But sure if it's just issues relating to development that's fine, I was just making sure it wasn't something I had messed up this end! I did play a game (although it's quite tricky without tooltips) and I have to say the AI is incredible so kudos on that front for sure.

Thanks.
Mofunkles
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Mofunkles

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools