MEXes on top

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: MEXes on top

Postby ZeRen » 08 Jun 2015, 18:37

Sheeo wrote:
Anihilnine wrote:oh ok i thought the zip attached in the op was the mod but actually its a dependency that was attached. my bad - sorry

Yeah regarding that. @ZeRen the mod is Shadow's, as such you should link to his thread where he distributes it, rather than distributing a copy. I removed the attachment from the post.

:( now it won't work properly, becouse my file has changes, so if you use his most likely t2 and t3 mass fabs + t1 mass storage won't have icons at all :lol:
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby ZeRen » 08 Jun 2015, 18:58

Sheeo wrote:If it's loaded as a UI mod it won't actually change blueprints.
It'll work as a sim mod and won't cause desyncs, however. And ZeRen did indeed upload it to the vault as a sim mod.

I wish I could do it as UI mod :roll:

Sheeo wrote:A pull request on github would do it too, so it can become part of mainline FAF.

-thx , pls make separated icons for t2 mex and t2 mass fab + t3 mex and t3 mass fab
ZeRen
Evaluator

Postby Shadows » 15 Jun 2015, 09:31

ZeRen wrote:
It'll work as a sim mod and won't cause desyncs, however. And ZeRen did indeed upload it to the vault as a sim mod.

Sheeo wrote:A pull request on github would do it too, so it can become part of mainline FAF.

-thx , pls make separated icons for t2 mex and t2 mass fab + t3 mex and t3 mass fab
if you make separated icons and redirect the game to them it would ruin the game for everyone who use the current and older versions of the ASI mod alongside every other icon mod. People would start seeing the original icons for the T2/T3 mass fabricators, awkwardly mixed with the new.
My segestion is to create a native FAF function that check if there are icons with filenames like "icon_structure2_massfab_rest" and if there are then the function would redirect the units to them.
Shadows

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: Shadows

Postby ZeRen » 15 Jun 2015, 17:28

Shadows wrote:
ZeRen wrote:

if you make separated icons and redirect the game to them it would ruin the game for everyone who use the current and older versions of the ASI mod alongside every other icon mod. People would start seeing the original icons for the T2/T3 mass fabricators, awkwardly mixed with the new.
My segestion is to create a native FAF function that check if there are icons with filenames like "icon_structure2_massfab_rest" and if there are then the function would redirect the units to them.

(they just need change name of icon in blueprint and then copy t2/t3 mex icon and rename it to "mass fab, and if you dont using ASI then you see old mex icon for massfab, if you use old ASI you all so see old icon, if you use new ASI you see new icon- just to be clear...)

-- and what is the problem?? just download new version

"awkwardly mixed with the new" what this mean, one player would see some old icons and some new icons in same game? if yes I dont see how this would be possible
ZeRen
Evaluator

Postby Shadows » 16 Jun 2015, 01:31

ZeRen wrote:"awkwardly mixed with the new" what this mean, one player would see some old icons and some new icons in same game? if yes I dont see how this would be possible
Icon mods replace existing icons. If you'll redirect units to new icons with different filenames then those units would not show the modded icons anymore.

ZeRen wrote:-- and what is the problem?? just download new version
What if people really like the old version? What if they forgot where to get the new version? What if they installed the mod with a lot of other mods as one package and expect everything to work "out of the box" without issues? What if they are light players who play the game once in a month and dont feel like updating every mod? Even I dont check everytime for new versions, especially when it comes to mods.

From my experience the majority would just accept the broken icons as a deficiency in the mod. It happend in the past when FAF introduced the new armored assault bot and I published a new version to cover it.
Even now I find a lot of people that dont do simple things like turning off the 'Bigger strategic build icons' option in the in-game menu while wondering why the icon for the armored assault bot is missing (doesn't exist in that mod).
Shadows

Postby nine2 » 16 Jun 2015, 02:32

Shadows wrote:From my experience the majority would just accept the broken icons as a deficiency in the mod.

Well I see that point but I don't think it should be used as justification to not make progress. If you maintain backwards compatibility forever then you can't innovate too much. Part of me kind of admires that you are so careful with your users, but the rest of me wants to scream. Come on man they can just put up with it or get a new mod. Easy peasy.

Also have you actually tested that solution we looked at earlier, to see if it causes desyncs? Because if it works well ... like ... sweet

from partytime
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Shadows » 16 Jun 2015, 10:02

Anihilnine wrote:Well I see that point but I don't think it should be used as justification to not make progress.
It's not; my suggestion earlier was to create a simple FAF function that check for new icons with filenames like "icon_structure2_massfab_rest" and if there are then the function would redirect the units to them. That way you get progress and compatibility, best of both worlds.

Anihilnine wrote:Part of me kind of admires that you are so careful with your users, but the rest of me wants to scream. Come on man they can just put up with it or get a new mod. Easy peasy.
I feel that urge as well. As creators, our world is about innovation and we naturally despise everything that's putting it down. The thing is, the average users usually have a different point of view, they see software and mods as static things they own (That's also why so many despise cloud services even though they supposed to be the greatest innovation).
For them, software that works improperly when not exposed to updates is the same as cheap products that crumbles when meeting the test of time.
For them, innovation and updates are nice but only as an option and only for times when they feel like adding new stuff. Until then, they expect the existing assets to work well and I believe their will comes first.

Anihilnine wrote:Also have you actually tested that solution we looked at earlier, to see if it causes desyncs?
Unfortunately I didnt have the time.
Last edited by Shadows on 16 Jun 2015, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
Shadows

Postby nine2 » 16 Jun 2015, 10:58

Unfortunately I didnt have the time.

well thanks for ASI.

and thank you zeren for trying to make progress.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby ZeRen » 16 Jun 2015, 18:26

Icon mods replace existing icons. If you'll redirect units to new icons with different filenames then those units would not show the modded icons anymore.

yes exactly, if FAF devs put "icon_structure2_massfab_rest" into "textures"(in FAF gamedata) and change icon name i mass fab BP, then it will work just like with all other icons in ASI, so default icon in textures will be replaced by ASI icon

sry, but I really dont see problem :(

btw. if peoples are lazzy to find new version in forum, there is nothing we can do sadly

well thanks for ASI.

second it ;)
ZeRen
Evaluator

Previous

Return to Mods & Tools