Engineering Nightmare

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Engineering Nightmare

Postby RavenCurow » 31 May 2015, 09:53

Okay, so I've been working on a mod for a while now and I've finally got the last unit almost done. The problem is its an engineering building like a cybran hive and you might have guessed I've run into the hive glitch. Well, I guess I shouldn't call it the hive glitch cause it has nothing to do with the hive itself.

You see, I've run into the glitch with engineering buildings where if it assists a seraphim building the tarmac glitches out and I get messed up terrain. The problem with this stems from two things far as I can tell. Unlike other builders the seraphim don't place their tarmac until after the building warps in. All other builders place it right away. The problem is that when an engineering building goes to assist the seraphim building it can't seem to look up the right tarmac.

Is there anyway I can't get around this short of coding the building like an engineer? I'd really hate to do that cause then I can't plug it into anything.

Edit: I'll put this edit here in case anyone runs into this problem. I've found a workaround for this if a bit visually unappealing. The problem that engineering buildings have is this, all buildings have a code that when built it tells it to look up its tarmac and place it. When an engineering building builds instead of looking up the unit it is assistings tarmac it looks up its own and tries to place it. With other factions this isn't a problem as the tarmac is placed by the engineer before the assist starts. Seraphim on the other hand don't place their tarmac until the building is finished. To get around the glitch you have to delete the tarmac of the engineering building in the bp. This way it will look up the right tarmac as it doesn't have one of its own. A bit visually displeasing, but better than broken terrain tarmac.
RavenCurow

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: RavenCurow

Re: Engineering Nightmare

Postby ckitching » 28 Jun 2015, 09:14

The tarmac glitch is fixed in 3641, so that'll be out of your way shortly. You can pull the release/3641 branch from GitHub to continue your development work in the meantime:
https://github.com/FAForever/fa
ckitching

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: ckitching

Re: Engineering Nightmare

Postby RavenCurow » 30 Jun 2015, 08:41

Thanks for the help. I'm glad this is finally getting fixed. I look forward to learning how it was done.
RavenCurow

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: RavenCurow

Return to Mods & Tools