Another Australian player

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Another Australian player

Postby Ninchidna » 16 Oct 2014, 04:52

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to you all. I use to play SupCom in the old GPG days just casually, then switched to SupCom2 for a whole week when it came out but never went back to SupCom after that week. I saw FAF come up on my facebook feed and thought I'd install SupCom again and alas, here I am.

I am very impressed with the changes that have been made and I am completely into this game again. I've tried PA but think it still needs a lot of work and I much prefer the graphics and strategy that SupCom needs.

I have a question that I am hoping that other Aussies can answer. Is there anything I can do to make my connection to other players more stable? I know most of the players are on the Europe side of the world and it's probably more the distance then my connection. But I'm really into this game and want to keep playing it but I can never seem to get into any games without being kicked (completely understand BTW), or sometimes causing the game to lag.

I am on a very good connection by our standards, I get around 60Mbps down and 14Mbps up with a ping of 15ms.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Ninchidna
Ninchidna

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Ninchidna

Re: Another Australian player

Postby nine2 » 16 Oct 2014, 06:13

Yeah sometimes I have a crap connection to people in europe/usa but sometimes its perfect too.

Just save yourself some headaches and kick yourself if the connection is crap - if the ping meter is yellow in the lobby, it's not worth playing. Better to spend 30 minutes finding a good game than to sit there for 60 minutes whilst they sort out the lobby and just before you start you get kicked / everyone quits once you start due to lag / people try rehost / being tortured by lag / all that stupid stuff.

Avoid large games (4v4) because your chances of having a good connection to everyone is limited so play 1v1 / 2v2 instead. Or host an aussie 4v4 game - there are lots of us.

I'm Brisbane / 13mbps
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Ninchidna » 16 Oct 2014, 10:34

Thanks Partytime, I'll try hosting some AU games and see how I go. Hopefully the AU folk still like to play every now and again.

Might see you on sometime.
Ninchidna

FAF User Name: Ninchidna

Postby Deering » 16 Oct 2014, 12:51

I generally find the connection to other aussies worse than the ones in europe due to the proxy. With the proxy I still easily get <500 to europeans and ~500 with americans and nearly all of my connections get proxied. Theres pretty much nothing you can do locally to help. The proxy situation is getting looked at for development though so hopefully in a few months it will be required less.
Deering
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 41 times
FAF User Name: Deering

Postby rootbeer23 » 16 Oct 2014, 13:40

at this point in time it makes sense to run a few more tests.
best test data would come from 2 peers who can only connect by proxy for the same game.
but it is equally interesting to see the logs of a peer that can connect without proxy
to another peer that does have many proxy connections to other peers.
please reference a previous post if you have logs that were made during the same game.

please include faforever.log, but not game.log and download
http://sourceforge.net/projects/stuntma ... p/download

and attach the output of running:
stunclient -m full -v 2 stun.ekiga.net (or any other stun server)
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby odin002 » 16 Oct 2014, 16:48

I was playing with some aussies and it can be fine, sometimes it lags, sometimes not and no problem to play. It's not that bad. It was in 3v3 games
odin002

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: odin002

Postby rootbeer23 » 16 Oct 2014, 17:12

the proxy is only supposed to be used if 2 peers in the same game have a rather restricted
NAT mechanism. the proxy is not expected to be required often.
But it seems that it is used more often than necessary.

BTW, you dont have to be an aussie to participate here. The basic problem (sans mega ping)
is independent of national borders.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby Deering » 20 Oct 2014, 05:40

Deering
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 41 times
FAF User Name: Deering

Postby snuffles » 14 Dec 2014, 10:41

so, it's been a few months now - has there been any news on this at all?

I recall there being talk among some (earlier this year) about getting an Australian proxy server set up and linked to the EU proxy server. Is it still viable, given the change of ownership of the project?
Play the Beta.
snuffles

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: Manta-Avoid

Postby mirddes » 31 May 2020, 11:42

Yo! I'm trying to grow the Australian and New Zealand FAF playerbase. ANZFAF discord has over 400 members and ANZFAF is the 2nd biggest clan. You and your friends are invited to join. https://discord.gg/u3Bt8KQ
mirddes
Banned

Has liked: 19 times
FAF User Name: mirddes

Next

Return to Help