Intro & ?'s

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Intro & ?'s

Postby FFOman » 06 Jul 2013, 13:47

Hi all! I'm an old SupCom player who lost his game files some years back. But when I read about what you were all doing here I quickly downloaded the Steam version of FA and am excited about playing again! As soon as I've had a chance to get some practice in and learn the ropes all over again I hope to meet you all on the battlefield.

Some ?'s: I've downloaded, installed, and registered on the lobby, read the newbie page and will be getting into the tutorials and other info you have put together over the weekend, however I'm a little unsure about a couple things. I download the iLividSetup-r394-n-bi.exe file which I believe is supposed to be the main and/or best mod for FA, but I didn't see any instructions for using it. Basically I need to know where to install it in my Steam version of FA. Also, I read that there are maps required to be installed into FA's map directory, and that a map package can be found in the map vault of the lobby. Well I didn't find any map packs in the lobby, just a lot of single maps. Can someone please tell me exactly what needs to be installed other than the lobby and mumble, and where I need to install the files? Also, if there are any other requirements, settings, or additional needs I may have not yet read about?

Greatly appreciate any and all help!
FFOman

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Intro & ?'s

Postby Kurbain » 06 Jul 2013, 14:18

Welcome to FAF!

It's not necessary to download any mods or maps. All the necessary maps and mods will be downloaded once you join a game which features them.
The most popular mods can be found and downloaded in the "Find Games" tab by double-clicking on them.

I have never heard of an iLividSetup.exe and I don't think it is in any way intended for Forged Alliance. Having checked Google, it seems to be a toolbar program for browsers. Better stay away from it.

For now all you need is FAF, which will do most things for you.

If you want to know more about the game, check the frontpage of FAF to find videos from casters, scan the Unit DB (http://www.faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/) and have a look at this guide: http://supcomfaguide.uw.hu/
The guide is outdated, but everything said in it still holds true to this day.

Once you know a bit more about the game, I recommend to download GAZ_UI and Hotbuild.
Kurbain

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Kurbain

Postby ColonelSheppard » 06 Jul 2013, 14:39

FFOman wrote:iLividSetup-r394-n-bi.exe

thats sounds like a spameware, surely not related to FA or FAF uninstall it
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby FireMessiah » 06 Jul 2013, 15:18

its a download manager, and yes its FULL OF SPYWARE !!!
uninstall that immediately.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-ilivid-virus/

tho in truth, if you've installed that crap, your better off reinstalling your entire PC.
I wouldn't want a single piece of that shit remaining on my system.

PS. Torrents are the far safer method nowadays of downloading files, than the old P2P programs that used to exist.
Most of those older P2P programs have been mutilated to a point they are no longer useable.

AND, an up to date virus software would tell you that iVilid is not safe when you downloaded it.
Ze_PilOt wrote:I know we live in a era when everything is done considering that the user is a total moron or retarded.
I find that insulting when a game is stating me the obvious ("press X to open the door" the 20th time I see a door).
hallelujah, amen.
FireMessiah

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 10 times
FAF User Name: FireMessiah

Postby FFOman » 06 Jul 2013, 15:46

Thanx for the heads up. I wasn't sure myself so I didn't install it, just downloaded the file into a new protected dir. Funny thing is though that after the download completed Norton, newest version updated, said it was safe! I'm going to runa new scan of it then get rid of it quick! Now I just download GAZ_UI and Hotbuild with instructions. But again I have to ask this: As these mods instructions say they get turned on after entering a single player game via the new FAF lobby, does this mean that when playing the game's stand-alone missions, none of this effects it?
FFOman

Postby FireMessiah » 06 Jul 2013, 15:57

once installed, you turn on GAZUI in the mod manager from the mainmenu.
then open any game (campaign, skirmish, replay), and goto the menu options. youll find a huge list of GAZ options from the ingame menu. (show reclaim, most used one)
not sure about hotbuild, I guess its the same process.
once turned on, It should work for online and offline games. (FAF and FA use same MOD folder)

im surprised Norton didn't pickup on that, I use Norton also. flag it as unsafe, and send to quarantine.
theres ton of info on google about iVilid's redirecting and spyware.
Ze_PilOt wrote:I know we live in a era when everything is done considering that the user is a total moron or retarded.
I find that insulting when a game is stating me the obvious ("press X to open the door" the 20th time I see a door).
hallelujah, amen.
FireMessiah

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 10 times
FAF User Name: FireMessiah

Postby ColonelSheppard » 06 Jul 2013, 16:25

FireMessiah wrote:im surprised Norton didn't pickup on that

well.. i'm not :lol: :lol:
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby FFOman » 06 Jul 2013, 16:38

Ya, I know Norton isn't the best, but I get the whole suite free with my Comcast account, and right now that means a lot to me! <g> Back when I was programming professionally I used something called ...Black or Black...? Now days I still fool around using remObjects version of Object Pascal via Visual Studio and Delphi XE, and was planning my first game attempt until last month when my computer took a dive and I had to come up with $600+ to get it back out of stir. So now with a brand new SSD boot drive and Xeon processor I'm busy re-installing everything so it might be awhile before I get back in the mood for any real work! <g>
FFOman

Postby ZaphodX » 08 Jul 2013, 13:37

Norton is primarily for viruses not malware. Try malwarebytes, spybot and adaware.
ZaphodX
Contributor

FAF User Name: TAG_ZaphodX

Return to Help