Pathfinding tips

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Pathfinding tips

Postby Gundersanne » 03 Jul 2013, 15:41

Well we all know fa has got some silly pathfinding issues. I wonder if there are any tips to minimize pathfinding issues?
Also I wonder if spamming clicks with t1 units in one certain direction is counterproductive to just one click in a certain direction?
Gundersanne

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Gundersanne

Re: Pathfinding tips

Postby ColonelSheppard » 03 Jul 2013, 16:43

as always when using a computer spamming clicks is the worst thing you can do, if you want to redirect large unit groups while they are still moving, press shit and drag the destination of the movement commander

in general you should leave anough space between your buildings so that units can easily pass through
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby BRNKoINSANITY » 03 Jul 2013, 18:02

When you heavily assist a land factory, select about 20 engies and assist the factory. After they sort themselves out, move an engineer out of the way in the direction you want to leave the factory. Then, place 4-5 move orders right next to each other to force units to exit -> turn -> turn -> leave the engy group. That way, they don't wander around the factory.

After you do the above (practice it and you can easily do all that in a few seconds) you can select small groups of engies and assist one of the 20 or so engies already around the factory. I have gotten 100+ engies on a t3 land factory with zero pathfinding snags in this way.
BRNKoINSANITY
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 207 times
FAF User Name: BRNKoINSANITY

Postby Astrofoo » 03 Jul 2013, 18:41

Regarding the assisting of a T3 land factory you can also build walls around the factory. I saw Icy do this once and it works sort of. Just make sure you leave enough space for the units to get out and make enough walls to block the engies from getting in the way.
"So now everything without a shield is gonna die, and everything with a shield is gonna die a little later." -TA4Life on the Mavor
Astrofoo
Contributor

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Astrofoo911

Postby ColonelSheppard » 03 Jul 2013, 18:44

Astrofoo wrote:Regarding the assisting of a T3 land factory you can also build walls around the factory. I saw Icy do this once and it works sort of. Just make sure you leave enough space for the units to get out and make enough walls to block the engies from getting in the way.

wow thats actually nice idea..
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby BRNKoINSANITY » 03 Jul 2013, 20:13

Even if you use walls you still have to assist individual engies in groups, otherwise the engies get inside the walls and then the hell that is factory exit becomes even worse.
BRNKoINSANITY
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 207 times
FAF User Name: BRNKoINSANITY

Return to Help