Navy vs T2arty

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Navy vs T2arty

Postby Molotow » 13 Jun 2013, 18:36

So I'va taken navycontroll on Waters of Isis R001. How do i counter enemy T2 arty on the shore?
Molotow
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Molotow

Re: Navy vs T2arty

Postby Zock » 13 Jun 2013, 18:42

battleships, with aeon missileships, and amphibious units
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby Hamstie » 13 Jun 2013, 18:42

As wich faction?
I think cruisers like the UEF one counter them, micro them to avoid the arty shots or t3 battleships.
Hamstie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Hamstie

Postby Ato0theJ » 13 Jun 2013, 19:06

Both UEF and phim cruisers outrange t2 arty. Cybran has no navy besides nuke that outrange arty. Have to use stealth and hope for the best.
Ato0theJ
Contributor

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: AJ

Postby Molotow » 14 Jun 2013, 04:04

Thanks for the help guys. A really helpfull comunity here on FAF.
Molotow
Crusader

Postby Kurbain » 14 Jun 2013, 04:27

If you have naval superiority, it might be a good idea to use gunships/bombers to destroy the artillery, especially at T2.
If you really want to use naval units, here are your options if you want to make sure the artillery doesn't cause damage:

Aeon: T3 Missile Ship/Tempest

Cybran: T2 Stealth Boat + Any T2/T3 unit if the enemy doesn't have omni, otherwise you will have to micro. Air Scouts might be problematic as well since the artillery only fires every 20 seconds and thus doesn't require non-stop intel.

UEF: T2 Cruiser/T3 Battleship/Shield Boat(s) + any T2/T3 unit

Seraphim: T2 Cruiser

I'm not sure how easy it is to dodge an artillery shot with a ship, so I don't how much leeway good micro would give you. I recon everything with 80+ range would work with good micro, but try it out for yourself.
Kurbain

Has liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Kurbain

Postby Molotow » 15 Jun 2013, 02:47

Well the map was waters of Isis, so microing with T2 stealthboat and destroyers wasnt really an option. To little rom and to short range. But doging arty with ships is fine as long as I fire on the move (on other maps that is).

Got around this whole thing by senaking up a megaliff though the water as the other guy had no sonar.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Molotow
Crusader

Postby brent_w » 17 Jun 2013, 23:21

Molotow wrote:Got around this whole thing by senaking up a megaliff though the water as the other guy had no sonar.

I know this isn't what happened but I found the thought of you looking up strategy tips in the middle of a long drawn-out game hilarious.
brent_w
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: brent_w

Postby Hawkei » 25 Jun 2013, 06:17

On a cost basis, T2 artillery batteries on the shore are inferiour to navy. If you are willing to absorb some damage, Destroyers, and Aeon/Cybran Battleships are quite effective at dispaching them. Usually, a sucessful coastal bombardment relies on tempo. You simply don't have time to wait for a Battleship to turn up. I'd go in with destroyers and micro on the edge of firing range.

However, when you face multiple artillery pieces, supported with Shields, stealth, missile defence and Sniper bots. You need to fall back on the longer ranged options above ^^. Of these, T3 missile subs are cute, because they can get right under the artillery and don't present a target :) but they are not cost effective.

Also. Don't forget that all these options will not outrange a TML launcher. So you need to keep an eye on your ships and move them. Or support them with Cruisers, which provide missile defence. If you sit off the coast for too long, the coastal defender will resort to TML sniping your battleships and torpeedo bomer runs. He could possibly mass Hovercraft, so have some direct fire support ships ready.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby sasin » 16 Jul 2013, 02:22

brent_w wrote:
Molotow wrote:Got around this whole thing by senaking up a megaliff though the water as the other guy had no sonar.

I know this isn't what happened but I found the thought of you looking up strategy tips in the middle of a long drawn-out game hilarious.

Definitely doable on that map.
sasin
Priest

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: sasin

Return to Help