Replay Analysis Thread

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Replay Analysis Thread

Postby Reaper Zwei » 10 Jan 2015, 07:37

@belatedcube

The first big issue with that game is reclaim. He was reclaiming while you were not. There was plenty of reclaim that you could have had but you just left your engies idle for the most part. You also didn't rebuild mex's. The two over by the hill on the top right of the map could have been yours especially with all those engies siting around doing nothing.

Your unit use could have been much better. One of the more glaring issue's in unit use was air. You had air control but you did nothing with it. You could have bombed the engies assisting his HQ or bombed his pgens into oblivion or both. Or you could have built a transport or two and done some drops. Don't underestimate the power of a drop I mean his back field had nothing. The other glaring thing I saw was that you kept trying to go straight in when you could have easily gone around. You had mobile units while he's building stationary ones. Don't attack head on when you can go around. That right there to me was one of the major reasons you lost. So many chances to go around but you continually just tried to ram straight through. Another thing I saw was that you were building mobile anti air when you didn't need to. You don't need to build mobile anti air unless you are having a hard time with bombers. Its not as big a problem with Cybran since they have the toggle ground ability but its still better to have that much more mantis.

The things you could have done when seeing that he went t2 was to build rhino's. Now I know you were more than likely trying to counter his t2 pd with MML's but building rhinos and going around the pd to attack his undefended base would have been much better. You could have also gone t2 air and built gunships. Cybran gunships murder any t1 unit and you could have sent them around to harass his side areas. He did have some t1 mobile anti air but those arnt much of a problem for t2 gunships especially Cybrans.

On the map in particular you went second air which I'm not sure is all that great of a strategy on that map(not that it cant be done). Fields of thunder is a spam map so more or less you just keep making facs and spamming mantis and reclaim reclaim reclaim!
Reaper Zwei
Priest

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: Reaper_Zwei

Postby belatedcube » 10 Jan 2015, 23:46

did another ladder on field of thunder.
Attachments
2974544-belatedcube1021.fafreplay
(68.52 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
[BC]Totaltuna: always look before you tab
belatedcube

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: belatedcube1021

Postby Rogueleader89 » 11 Jan 2015, 02:59

I have similar issues with idle engineers that you seem to have in both of your replays belated, my suggestion is that at the end of each queue of stuff you have an engineer doing queue up a patrol or attack move reclaim order, worst case scenario the engineer gets itself killed after reclaiming some stuff, but at least its more useful than sitting idle and you should pretty much always have an engineer somewhere to pick up for construction duties anyway.

Otherwise people with more knowledgable than me can probably provide more useful comments on specific timings of things and unit mix (I don't play cybran); only other thing I have to add really is that you don't have to use your entire army to do run-bys, if they send too many troops to counter something you can just push elsewhere then too, especially in that last game your opponent usually moved the majority of their army to meet yours, away from their com and few defenses, even with just your units produced in the meantime and your upgraded commander you could probably have pressured center with relative freedom while their army was away.
Rogueleader89

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
FAF User Name: JadeXyan

Postby Viba » 22 Jan 2015, 22:23

I feel like my learning curve is in a pit right now, been playing mostly custom games and my global rating has been around 900 for ages now.

I'd love if someone would take the time and analyze my gameplay and provide some good advice and suggestions on how to improve it ;)

This replay probably shows my level for the moment: 3006566
Feel free though to check out any other replay from the vault if anyones interested :D
Same nickname here and over at FAF lobby.
Viba
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 224 times
FAF User Name: !smurfcheck Viba

Postby Voodoo » 22 Jan 2015, 22:46

@Viba

- your start bo isn't working - one start power generater is enough before you start building the hydro
- going for t2 air was too early, build more energy before
- reclaim the forest with like 30 engies - build a 2. factory for more engies
- scout the opponent - you need to know what he is doing - scout every 2 mins
- it's a team game - talk to your members and think about a good strategy
- also not enough energy for your ras

- your arty drop was realy nice
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby Viba » 23 Jan 2015, 00:58

Thank you for the input!

I'm using TeamSpeak mostly for communication so the chat might seem empty :P

I already changed my BO and built more engies for the forest harvesting :)
Viba
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 224 times
FAF User Name: !smurfcheck Viba

Postby Voodoo » 23 Jan 2015, 01:38

Just watch some replays from good player and copy their build order, thats the easy way. So try a new bo, reclaim and scout more and look better at your eco. When you think you have mastered this then post an other replay and we can start to talk about the gameplay after minute 10.
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby GuardianH27 » 25 Jan 2015, 07:03

I have been playing for a while and have got the gist of things but there is one thing I just can't get a hang of. That is Tier-ing up and advance eco management.

I blame myself for loosing this game because I was doing almost negligible in the game and in the last moment of redemption I just died in the most horribly... stupid way.

I'll summarize the facts.

A) I'm good enough at early game, decent build order, aggression and expansion.

B) Really can't get a knack of balance between production and mex upgrade.

C) Eco management is worse than a kindergardner.

Any advice would really help me a lot.
Attachments
3022338-GuardianH27.fafreplay
(282.15 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
GuardianH27

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: GuardianH27

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 12 Feb 2015, 11:51

Voodoo wrote:I moved the post from Luminareo to this thread but i can't help him as he plays setons. So we need some setons players! :)

Luminareo still need advice? I'm no "pro" but can play mid Setons as one of my best spots.
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 45 times
FAF User Name: Apocalypse_Now

Postby macharal » 12 Feb 2015, 23:48

Would appreciate some advice on this replay.

Specific questions:
1) Was it a good move from me to deny him the expansion early on or would I have been better off playing defensively? Did the reclaim i left there only help him and hurt me in the long term?
2) Was the game already lost when I couldn't secure the reclaim of my first few fallen Harbingers? If so, what should I have done with them rather than charge into his expansion?
3) In the final fight should I have left my ACU there and tried to overcharge the Ytotha? How could I have handled that engagement better in general, if I could at all?
4) Any comments on my strategy/little things?

Thanks
Attachments
3084594-Kjellberg.fafreplay
(117.47 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
macharal

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

PreviousNext

Return to Help