Typical setons

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Typical setons

Postby Marko Box » 13 May 2013, 18:15

Latley ive been playing exsclusivly mid on setons, and ive begun realising why no one wants that position. I dont like turtle so i grab cybran and play super agresivly, comm in front and swarm with t1 units, and so far it works like a charm. Unlless i kill his comm outright on mid i roll throu his base moust of time. What follows is rage enducing usually. 9/10 i get killed by air or raped by navy while trying to set up forward base with my comm.
Seeing mid breached rest of the team sits back and starts ecoing while im getting raped from air navy and ground :|
Few matches i had where my team atleast postures navies so i dont get bombarded and keeps ceptors nearby ends in 20-30 min quick win.
Can some1 link me high level setons replays or give me some pointers on how to pull it off?
Ive attached the latest replay which perfectly shows what ussually happens. Any feedback on build order and tactic would be apriciated.
Attachments
914492-MarkoBox.fafreplay
(155.53 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
[OS]CrazedChariot: more games are lost in fa
[OS]CrazedChariot: than are won
[BC]Banana: thats like saying there are more banana peels than bananas
Marko Box
Crusader

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: MarkoBox

Re: Typical setons

Postby ColonelSheppard » 13 May 2013, 18:47

you should try to spectate V or Megatron (is he still there..?)
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Ionic » 13 May 2013, 18:59

I barely ever play Setons Mid, played it last night and after pushing back front I build 20 T2 artl up the beach side and in the channel T1 lobos (mobile artl, 300 of them) right on the shore of beach incase he tried to skirt the static artl, SAMS, Navy, Nukes and Air. To conserve mass and since we had no air, I only built T3 land and only extended to wipe out the Mid base, and then again as a distraction.

The static artl took out at least 9 cybran T2 destroyers, and allowed my team the reclaim,as well as kept me from getting hammered by Navy.

The SAMS kept the air player from extending any where near my base, and because of his mistake even though he hands down won air he never extended to our base.

I ended up winning Navy with T3 subs and the 300 lobos vs his poor micro of battleships/destroyers.

I nuked the other teams beach navy production.

Air I never had enough to make a difference.

I am not a good front player, but I know from air/navy experience how valuable T2 artl, SAMS, and lobos can be to turn the tide of a battle.
Ionic

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: Ionic

Postby BRNKoINSANITY » 14 May 2013, 05:10

Actually, in most cases it is better NOT to kill the mid player, as then the entire team comes down on your head. You need to beat, maim, destroy, and cripple him, but don't go far past the mid and don't kill him.

If you do decide to kill him, you need to do so only if you have enough of a force to wipe out all his eco too. Otherwise, someone on the other team just gets double eco and it can be worse for you.

The main goal of mid is to 1. get the mass in the middle and 2. don't die. If you can do those things long enough, you can push t4, build navy to help the worse off sea, or help in some other way.

The best thing you can do is remember to reclaim... if you push mid far back you can tech faster than anyone in the early game as you will have a HUGE amount of wrecks laying around. Throw up a couple t2 pd, spam engies, and reclaim! You should be able to get all your mex capped and a t3 or two off of the reclaim from a solid 11-13 minute win.
BRNKoINSANITY
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 207 times
FAF User Name: BRNKoINSANITY

Postby Pierto » 14 May 2013, 05:12

Great replay from BC_Napalm of how to echo-whore on Setons mid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx9sydbC6dA.

Whenever I play Setons mid, I play aggressively the first 10-15 minutes. But after that, I get my commander in a friendly ocean or in the little pond in the back. Your job is then basically to hold the middle and stop any experimentals from coming in and destroying the bases. If your navy players do a good job, you'll be able to hold on to your eco and launch your own attacks. But you're basically at the mercy of your navy and air players...
"T2 mex, I think it's a mistake! Why not do something more useful?" (RA_Zlo in a ranked 1v1 game against Yarma_Darma on Haven's Reef)
Pierto

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Pietros

Postby Voodoo » 14 May 2013, 09:28

It's a question of teamplay. If your team supports you with navy and air, then you can rush. But normaly all are doing only eco and don't even think about building units.
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby Ionic » 14 May 2013, 19:37

I don't trust pugs with protecting me from Sea and Air when I am the front player. Build stuff to protect yourself and help your team win.
Ionic

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: Ionic

Postby laPPen » 15 May 2013, 10:07

From my expirience mid gets close to irelevant after 10-15 min. When u reached that point those are the thigs u should do or not do:

DONT S :
1. Dont build fire base in mid, it s just not worth it. You only have to loose one navy side, or fall behind on one navy for a few minutes and your whole investment goes boom.
+ normally you will have to keep your com in that fire base to build it up, that is very risky. build a few walls 2-3 t1 pd a shield and 2-3 t2 pd, that should be enough to keep your enemys spamm away.
2. Never cross the mid with your commander too far, dont even think about going into enemys former base unless u have massive airsup, and even in this situation it is uber risky since you can easily get cut off from your reinforcements by navy.
its not worth the risk.
3. Dont kill the midplayer(if u are not forced to) in situation like this: enemy mid 1400 rating / best enemy 2000 rating,... what i mean if they have a high rated player and the enemy mid is average, dont give double eco to the pro.

DO S :
1:The classic: rush a T4 and build some shields / flaks for support - scout - go in if u are sure u wont waste your t4, otherwise keep it as defence
2:The teamplay(Dim14): most setons games are won over the navy (not the air as most unexpirienced setons players believe).
help your navy players for example go for t2 torps(unless u your side is behind in air or you are sera, their torps really fail) and send hover spam with your navy players -> chose on what side your support will have the bigger impact and go there with everything (better than half assed support on 2 sides)
3: the crazy(Tnuksmasher3000): get ACU missle upgrade and go harrass, or go for epic drops, build navy yourself...whatever be creative
laPPen

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: laPPen

Postby Marko Box » 15 May 2013, 14:23

Good advice lappen. Ill have to experiment more. Yesterday i was against 1400 player on mid and managed to break into his base because he was ecoing hard but couldnt seal the deal since i decided not to go in with comm all the way :cry: 20min later i get rolled by chicken since i didnt kill his mexes.
Ive also observed that people usually run their acu in right pond (since its closer there once we are done with reclaim) and then upgrade t2 engi suit and start building t2 pds on shore. Maybe with fast subs from right side navy or some t2 torp bombers from air player he can be sniped quickly. But that would require too much coordination with allies.
[OS]CrazedChariot: more games are lost in fa
[OS]CrazedChariot: than are won
[BC]Banana: thats like saying there are more banana peels than bananas
Marko Box
Crusader

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: MarkoBox

Postby Voodoo » 15 May 2013, 14:52

laPPen wrote:From my expirience mid gets close to irelevant after 10-15 min.

The best for your team is, get as many mass as possible. Ignore your economie and just reclaim the middle, with the acu, engies and so on.
Then go home build t2 defence and give your base to the air player after 15 mins. Then you can go and die. Sounds super stupid but thats the best way if you
want to help your team.
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Next

Return to Help