Once the game reaches Tech 2? 1v1

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Once the game reaches Tech 2? 1v1

Postby Cuddles » 13 May 2013, 09:21

I seem to be holding out longer now. I don't get owned at the start of the game - I can get map control. But then everything just comes unglued when I go tech 2. I sometimes tech up sooner than my opponents, but then I still lose.

My question is, what do you do when you reach tech 2, turtle and go tech 3+4? Building a tech 2 army to attack with doesn't seem to accomplish much.

A couple of tech2 pd and some light force can defend against a fairly large tech 2 force. I'm just kind of feeling that it's not worth the investment to launch an attack with it. The tech 2 focus should be on strengthening your position, maybe using long rage weapons to weaken/annoy the opponent?
Turinturambar defended very valiantly
Cuddles
Contributor

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 118 times
FAF User Name: Scoot

Re: Once the game reaches Tech 2? 1v1

Postby ColonelSheppard » 13 May 2013, 09:25

T2 on one way map like Field of Thunder:
- use rangebots
- use PD
- use mml's
- use gun (not particulary t2 but a good counter)

T2 on open maps
- build your factions t2 tanks ( bots for sera) make raid with them and keep aways from the enemy commander
- dont build PD
- think about T2 air at some time

The is no general rule when to go T2, you go T2 when you think you got enough units to hold of atacks for the next 3min (SCOUTING). For example if you have enough energy and just got a big reclaim field.
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Voodoo » 13 May 2013, 09:56

It's a question about how you like to play. There are 2 ways:

1. If you like to play defensive, just build t2 point defences.

2. You say no! I hate that turtle war. Then spam t2 tanks to your t1 army. Use the normal t2 tanks if your micro skills aren't good enough for rangebots.

And try to get as t2 and gun upgrades for your acu, thats always helpfull on little maps.
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby Cuddles » 13 May 2013, 10:27

Cool. Thanks guys.

I must look for the replay at home. My opponent called GG fairly early and I had good mixed up force with T1 and T2 and most of the map. Had air control also. I just walked over his units and into his base, but they got destroyed by a couple of PD. So I started building an army again T3/T2 mix while keeping him busy with mml's and T3 arti. I never raided though, and didn't scout his base, just his two forward positions. While that was going on, suddenly a megalith popped up :cry:

And that is how I lost the game.
Cuddles
Contributor

Postby Voodoo » 13 May 2013, 10:33

What map did you played?
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby Cuddles » 13 May 2013, 11:24

Syrtis Major: Replay UID: 910777 Prodromos(1026) VS Cousen (829) 48min.

I made big mistakes with my eco, biggest being forgetting about it. I had handle on air also until I forgot about it, and I think spammed out allot of airscouts at one point...

Edit: Watching it again - I played really bad in hindsight :( Didn't feel like I was doing so bad while I was busy with it.
Cuddles
Contributor

Postby Nombringer » 13 May 2013, 12:46

Under wrote:Syrtis Major: Replay UID: 910777 Prodromos(1026) VS Cousen (829) 48min.

I made big mistakes with my eco, biggest being forgetting about it. I had handle on air also until I forgot about it, and I think spammed out allot of airscouts at one point...

Edit: Watching it again - I played really bad in hindsight :( Didn't feel like I was doing so bad while I was busy with it.

Haha yes, we all have that feeling... Or at least I do....

I cant look at the replay at the moment, but there are a few simple stages, that differ depending on the map.

Tech one spam. OR VERY early T2 fac
>>>>>>>>
Tech one spam with upg ACU. OR tech one spam mixed with T2. OR paused tech one facs and pure T2 (Small maps) OR pure tech one spam.
>>>>>>>
Mixed Tech three and tech one spam. OR Pure tech three spam. AND/OR tech two air. OR early tech three air.
>>>>>>>
Pure tech three spam. AND/OR Experimental AND/OR Tech three air.
>>>>>>
Exp spam mixed with T3 land AND Tech three air AND/OR Nukes
>>>>>>
No-mans land and game enders, anything goes.

This is a GROSS oversimplification, and it will depend on the map, game type, player role... ect. But I hope this can give you a VERY general idea.
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Return to Help