A few questions of a 1000 rating noob

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

A few questions of a 1000 rating noob

Postby Hamstie » 08 May 2013, 17:46

So I am back again with some more questions.
1. How do I cancel a com upgrade?

2. Is attack move with a formation better than just swarming in? (Assuming t1 uef vs t1 uef with both mixes about 4 strikers/1 lobo ratio)

3. I lost this match and I dont feel I made any major mistakes. I had a chat with Flynn after the game. He told me I was quite good but need a lot more experience.( Im 171 games and he has 661 games)

Some things I felt could be better on my side.
- Better bomber micro
- Support com with backup troops
Any other feedback is very welcome!
Attachments
896596-Hamstie.fafreplay
(40.89 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
Hamstie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Hamstie

Re: A few questions of a 1000 rating noob

Postby ZaphodX » 08 May 2013, 17:58

1) Select the comm and press 's' or click the red stop button in the bottom left.

2)
  • Attack move is useful (and underused!) because the units stop when they engage a unit, this keeps your units bunched up together so they can all fire at similar times and take down units quicker. You also don't walk past units/buildings - useful for picking off mex/units as you walk by.
  • Normal move will cause your units to split up and stream in small groups, which makes them much easier to pick off individually. However keeping on moving like this is great for raiding/harassment and forcing your opponent to keep chasing you.
  • Formation move (hold right click to move and cycle formations using left click) is good for keeping your units very closely bunched but they move very slowly. This can make it easy to avoid them or punish them using arty/bombers. Not usually recommended.
ZaphodX
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: TAG_ZaphodX

Postby ColonelSheppard » 08 May 2013, 18:33

you had a hard massstall at the start, you need to reclaim, or build less (major mistake)
you did not expand to the topside (major mistake)
commander stood in the middle of nowhere with no units (major mistake)
your bomber hardly droped any bomb
you upgraded t2 mex (major mistake)

conclusion: you did the typical beginner mistakes, you can improve fast by just focusing on improving the 5 points i posted
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 4b-3s5vol0
i would say vids: 5,6,8,10,11,16,17 & 19,22 could help you
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Hamstie » 08 May 2013, 19:48

ColonelSheppard wrote:you had a hard massstall at the start, you need to reclaim, or build less (major mistake)
you did not expand to the topside (major mistake)
commander stood in the middle of nowhere with no units (major mistake)
your bomber hardly droped any bomb
you upgraded t2 mex (major mistake)

conclusion: you did the typical beginner mistakes, you can improve fast by just focusing on improving the 5 points i posted
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 4b-3s5vol0
i would say vids: 5,6,8,10,11,16,17 & 19,22 could help you

Ah yes, forgot about the t2 mex. Yes I know the rule, dont upgrade mexes on small maps.
Yes the other mistakes now are quite obvious when you point them out, thanks!

On a unrelated note, when at t2 air when to use the fighterbomber/t2 gunship? I guess the fighterbomber for snipes and buildings and the gunship for troops? And the fighterbomber is better when there is enemy flak?
Hamstie

Postby ColonelSheppard » 08 May 2013, 20:14

well as UEF fighterbombers can used for everything, i would say UEF fighterbombers are verygood against close pgen builds and close unit formations
gunships can be use to atack outer mexes or dmg/force back enemy commander but are not that usefull against unit as they get taken out very good by t2 aa
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby MadStork » 08 May 2013, 21:10

That is a tough map if you're not familiar with it. Since mex points are few and spread out, it is critical to reclaim all those big rocks asap to get early tanks out and secure the map. Even the ones right below your base you ignored. Watch a pro replay and see how they prioritize getting those big rocks early.

Early on, don't be building two separate factories at once, especially if you're mass stalling. If you're stalling hard, stop building facs altogether for the time being.

One other tip-when your acu is facing the other acu + tanks, have it target the tanks and not the acu.
MadStork
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: VoR_MadStork

Postby Hamstie » 09 May 2013, 00:16

MadStork wrote:That is a tough map if you're not familiar with it. Since mex points are few and spread out, it is critical to reclaim all those big rocks asap to get early tanks out and secure the map. Even the ones right below your base you ignored. Watch a pro replay and see how they prioritize getting those big rocks early.

Early on, don't be building two separate factories at once, especially if you're mass stalling. If you're stalling hard, stop building facs altogether for the time being.

One other tip-when your acu is facing the other acu + tanks, have it target the tanks and not the acu.

Yes i also wanted my ACU to target the tanks but it cant be done when my acu is on the move?
Hamstie

Postby Gorton » 09 May 2013, 00:29

Unfortunately you can't aim and move. It's annoying. You've mostly got to try and dance some shots and fire on the tanks as much as possible without stopping for too long.
OC can work wonders for moving, firing oc and moving again.
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby Hamstie » 09 May 2013, 00:45

Could you enlighten my how the fire priorities work when on the move for the ACU? Does it keep firing on the first unit it opens fire on? Does it targets the closest enemy unit/building?
Hamstie

Postby Gorton » 09 May 2013, 00:49

I'm not certain but I believe your acu will target other acus first over tanks regardless of distance.
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Next

Return to Help