Tips on my gameplay

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Tips on my gameplay

Postby FunkyBacon » 17 Mar 2013, 00:39

Hello everyone :)
I am somewhat a noob still in FA(Rating 837 that I have no idea how I managed that :lol: ), so would like some tips on a game I did.

So I just played a match on Voodoo Inferno V5(Noobs under 1000). And somehow, my team managed to win this match.
I was just wondering what I could do to improve my game and become a good player once ^.^
Right from the start I saw FBI jump insanely fast, while the rest wasn't even close to him, and was wondering what I was doing wrong.(And if FBI even fits the meaning of noob...)

A few points I know about that I screwed up:
Reclaimed far too late.(Didn't see the reclaim at first, first time on the map)
Didn't reclaim the spiders soon enough.
And a small screw up at the bombers their first run.
Begin extractors went up too late.

And an additional small note/question:
When my 1 teammate died, and he attacked the 2nd time/I was lining up for my assault, my body was shaking(Adrenaline I guess) that was kinda making me derp a bit and was wondering if the pro's out there still get that, or is it just a noob curse? :lol:

Thanks in advance for any tips and help :) *Here's hoping that the replay is watchable*
Attachments
725015-FunkyBacon.fafreplay
(141.33 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
FunkyBacon
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: FunkyBacon

Re: Tips on my gameplay

Postby ColonelSheppard » 17 Mar 2013, 00:49

If you want to improve your gameplay you should play other maps, it's not really possible to tell something about your gameplay on this masterlee/thermo/tpk maps
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby FunkyBacon » 17 Mar 2013, 01:09

ColonelSheppard wrote:If you want to improve your gameplay you should play other maps, it's not really possible to tell something about your gameplay on this masterlee/thermo/tpk maps

True, but any tips are welcome and helpful :)
FunkyBacon
Crusader

Postby Beej » 17 Mar 2013, 01:45

While I agree with Sheppard, there a few things I picked up which apply generally.

This game is about being efficient with your economy - and games on these maps especially involves teching up fast. I'll admit I used to enjoy them, but they are quite linear in their gameplay. I find 1v1 ladder great fun now and normal games in general more fun. They are hard but that makes it good IMO. Try some 1v1s sometime, don't be put off if you lose that's expected! Watch your reply and learn. Anyway.... this game...

- Would have been far more efficient to get your commander to help with the hydro and build the hydro before the rest of your pgens (first two always good of course).
- You start buildings several times, then stop to finish others first. While its more efficient to have engineers working together its also best to avoid half building things.
- Things only get adjacency bonus if they have two faces adjacent. You build pgens on the diagonals to your factories. Maybe thats because you like the look lol
- One thing I consistently see is people don't build enough engineers. In most games except very small ones have a factory or two constantly making them. No point in having mass if you can't even use it....

Hope that helps.

EDIT:
One more thing: always always always scout! If you don't know what they have, how can you know the best place to attack, the best thing to attack with, and what to defend against...
Beej
Contributor

FAF User Name: Beej

Postby TH3-Oval » 17 Mar 2013, 02:22

There was a load of reclaim behind you you didnt use early on

you powerstalled ~14 mins in.. imho you dont need all those shields, they make you feel safe but that mass could go into an air factory making scouts continuously, thatll probably make you safer than shields because you get a gleam of what the enemy has

~15 mins you mass stalled which is fine, but you gotta pause everything and only build the thing you want to build fastest. at that point it was probably your t3 mex

~28 min you should use your air transports drop your units everywhere, those units aint gonna play defence very well... also u u build harbingers?

~31 mins you had air control!! you shouldve been bombing the crap out of them, but you didnt know you had air control.... make t3 scouts (or if it were me I usually have 2 facs spamming t1 air scouts so I dont have to micro).

~34 mins y u make mass fabs?

~37 mins you realised you had air control, but you took your time :(

I kno the skill level is low, but IMHO ppl should try veer off maps which are like this. I wont say why, im sure everyone knows the reasons

regarding the shakey nerves, play some 1v1s... youll come across a stupendous number of close calls
TH3-Oval
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: TH3-Oval

Postby FunkyBacon » 17 Mar 2013, 12:59

I do play 2 v 2's occasionally with a friend of mine on 10 x 10 maps(Non-voodoo) the one that I did(In my opinion) half-decent in was the one down there

It was a ranked 2 v 2, with our enemies making quite a lot of mistakes, but we did half decent in my opinion :)

@TH3-Oval
-I didn't see the reclaim early on(First time on the map :/)

-The shields were kinda more to protect my buildings in case they came with bombers and can't take out my mass/energy as easily.(But the power stall was a bad thing to happen which I hated myself for)

-I should indeed focus on less tasks at once, luckily I'm slowly learning to focus more and more when it's needed.

-I build T3 land units to protect against enemy attacks, so my GC and fatboy could finish.

-Yeah, I should have scouted way earlier, I was thinking of it but was a bit concerned about my small amount of ASF at that time, maybe a single or 2 T1 factories pumping out T1 scouts would do good I agree.

-I needed mass for my fatboy construction, so I made mass fabs xD

-Yeah, I tried to make sure I wouldn't get raped by the enemy's counterattack(In case they had one).

Thanks all for the tips! I'll try to think of em in the future!
Attachments
697679-FunkyBacon.fafreplay
(74.64 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
FunkyBacon
Crusader

Postby ColonelSheppard » 17 Mar 2013, 13:30

yeah so thats better :mrgreen:

min 2: the PD is a nice idea but it would be better to build it at the other chokepoint of the hill as it would cover 2 more mexes then
min 4: dont produce bugs at this time, tanks are way better, also you have too many engeneers already and keep still building 10 are by far enough, you already have -38 mass
min 6:40 you still have near to 0 tanks on the map, if blue would have decided to atack you you would have been doomed, also you are ignoreing mid, having intel is nice, but if you dont use it, it's useless
the upgrade at the front only works because blue is stupid, if he would have fired at you with his artys, good night
min 9:50: oh he did so :), be happy that didnt know what to do
min 12: let's not talk about aurora micro...

Conclusion:
if blue would have done a good scouting at any time between min 0 an 10 you would have been doomed
you have to play more safe and produce less engys
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby FunkyBacon » 11 Apr 2013, 12:06

alright, did my first 2 auto matches yesterday and altho I won both, I was wondering if there were any mistakes that I made that I didn't see myself?

This one I felt I didn't do that badly, but definitly need to work on my microing of my troops as I lost some troops that didn't need to die.
Attachments
807853-FunkyBacon.fafreplay
(46.12 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
FunkyBacon
Crusader

Postby FunkyBacon » 11 Apr 2013, 12:09

And on this one I played quite effective for my feeling, I had to move my mantis but my hunter could have survived against the last 2 arty.

And thanks for the tip on scouting, I'm trying to keep doing that now and it definitly helps :D So thanks a lot for that.
I also need to learn to keep my eco in a non-horrible spot...
Attachments
808051-FunkyBacon.fafreplay
(21.38 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
FunkyBacon
Crusader

Postby ColonelSheppard » 11 Apr 2013, 12:34

fron factories on finns are a quite bad idea, espeically as you commander stayed in you base what would be the reason why you would lose against a better player, also you are upgrading mexes too early (WAY to early)

there is not much that can be seen in this game else, post a replay against an even player
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Next

Return to Help