Melencoly Hills game

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Melencoly Hills game

Postby Flynn » 15 Feb 2013, 17:21

Okay, I have taken some pretty high rated players on this map, but in this game I got owned.
Attachments
638163-Flynn.fafreplay
(46.74 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Flynn
Evaluator

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Flynn

Re: Melencoly Hills game

Postby Arkansas » 15 Feb 2013, 19:21

You don't selectively reclaim the mass on the rocks (you go for trees for whatever reason), you mass stall hugely and it all goes down from there. On that map anywhere its orange or grey there is a ton of mass to reclaim. I normally send my second or even first engy to one of the little 'tables' near you so i don't stall while I grab the mexes (which are spread out). You never grab the big rocks on the central island despite having an engy there either.

You then fail to build enough air and don't even try to bomb him/drop on his sides which is vital on a map that spread out. You then don't kite your auroras (stop playing Aeon, it doesn't suit you IMO) and they get bombed and shot to death. You don't send your acu up to meet his or push enough on the right so he is free to fortify the left. He then raids you lower left mexes and you do nothing, forget about the raiders and let them run round to your main base and kill your build capacity. You also send auroras to his base without scouts which makes them worse than useless as its basicly free mass for him.
Arkansas

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Arkansas

Postby Zock » 15 Feb 2013, 19:45

buildorder:

-on a map where mass is so limited, you should make the hydro instead of 5 PGs, its much cheaper.
-i recommend to make earlier units to protect your expanding engies, or to raid, or both.
-you wanted your engy to reclaim stones south of the base, but he reclaims trees mostly. you need to set first a move order into the stones, then atack move.
-another early engies you send out to reclaim trees would be better used to reclaim some stones aswell, as you lack mass hard in the beginning.
-overall you should use all the stones lying arround better
~minute 6: you shouldnt stop making new power when you know your mass income will increase in future, or you will lack the power to spend your new mass

other:
-the radar in your base is ok, but its not really needed.
-i'd recommand to use the commander more offensive on that map
-i wouldn't recommend making a transport without any ints to protect it.
~minute 6: you have 3 enemy ints over your base, that will kill any air units you produce. Make AA to get them away. (you did now, but little late.)
-dont surround your radar with power in the middle. Its no save place to build power, the small power per second you save by that isn't worth making expensive pgs in such a risky place.
-minute 9: you need to put your scouts to assists on auroras, or they drive ahead and die, leaving you without scouts (= dead auroras).
-Dont ambush your enemies base with units without scouting, or you are likley to just gift him mass (as happened)
-~Minute 11, be more offensive with your units at the right, and you should've reacted earlier to the units at the left that are now in your base
~you still didn't send units back into your base to solve the tank problem
-~Minute 12, good unit retreat on the left side
~same time, finish your fac in the middle before starting new buildings
-you should get radar at the left side now
-try to claim the hills back with a new transport
-this few tanks in your base killed most of your energy. pause all radars and the airfactory and focus on rebuilding your power
-when you realize you lost aircontrol you should get some AA at all important places
-there is still quite a few stones lying at the east and in the hells next to your base. You should've reclaim that by now.

apart from buildorder stuff and not reclaiming enough stones, main reasons for lose were:
-having too many units on the right (without archieving much with them), and not enough on the left side (to defend your mex)
-let the tanks in your base kill your power and air production
-lose the hills too easy
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby ColonelSheppard » 15 Feb 2013, 19:57

running through the mid and killing the other one's hydro is probably the best thing to dow ith commander on that map
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Flynn » 15 Feb 2013, 20:27

Wow, amazing responses, thank you everyone (especially Zock). I think what most surprised me in this game was how much this kid had improved since I last played him :lol: I guess if I do the big things right the rest will fall into place.
Flynn
Evaluator

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Flynn

Return to Help