Naval Micro

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Naval Micro

Postby highlink55 » 01 Feb 2013, 23:52

I'm just starting to get the hang of ranked matches and got my rank up to 1000(only thing holding me back is dealing with turtles on mass heavy 10x10 maps) but I recently discovered I have no idea how to handle naval battles. I mostly play Cybran with some UEF and I notice all of my ships, especially shield and stealth boats seperate and spread themselves very thin causing me to lose every naval battle. Do I just have to micro individual ships into a large clump before hand or is there some trick I am missing? While we are at it, what is the preferred mix of cruisers/destroyers/subs if you know beforehand you will be fighting another navy? Thanks a bunch.
highlink55

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Highlink

Re: Naval Micro

Postby ColonelSheppard » 02 Feb 2013, 01:01

highlink55 wrote:I'm just starting to get the hang of ranked matches and got my rank up to 1000(only thing holding me back is dealing with turtles on mass heavy 10x10 maps) but I recently discovered I have no idea how to handle naval battles. I mostly play Cybran with some UEF and I notice all of my ships, especially shield and stealth boats seperate and spread themselves very thin causing me to lose every naval battle. Do I just have to micro individual ships into a large clump before hand or is there some trick I am missing? While we are at it, what is the preferred mix of cruisers/destroyers/subs if you know beforehand you will be fighting another navy? Thanks a bunch.

- give the important ships like stealth boat numbers (crtl + number) and micro them idividual if they run out of the formation
- Micro at sea comes down to dodging and kiting just like on land: easy circling movements for doging, kiting for Cybran with stealth, using shield regen by perfoming many small atacks as UEF
- as long as you are not cyban buid no cruisers as long as you do:
have air superiority problems
not want to do land atacks
Last edited by ColonelSheppard on 02 Feb 2013, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby highlink55 » 02 Feb 2013, 03:37

Thanks Shep, you are awesome for helping everyone. I made a custom game and played with a few things, I made a couple discoveries that I thought I'd share with anyone else looking for advice, though do be aware this is coming from a newbie and I have yet to put any of it into practice.

1. Always select battleships and other large T3 ships separately, even one will ruin an entire fleet's formation if given a move order as a group.
2. Never tell ships to assist other ships, this causes them the spread to extreme degrees(my fleet of ~25 covered most of Seton's bay)
3. Splitting your fleet into 2 num groups will help condense it's firepower a lot but this can sometimes lead to pathfinding issues when trying to quickly move backwards
highlink55

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Highlink

Postby ColonelSheppard » 02 Feb 2013, 04:01

you know about the formation move (holding right mouse key+moving mouse)?
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Return to Help