well thanks a lot ...

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

well thanks a lot ...

Postby delagrave » 26 Jan 2013, 03:35

Hi folks,

i am really new to FAF for it was precisely yesterday that i learned about it. I was amazed when i saw how many players are here, how many open games there are and I was happy even to see that this game that I like so much i still so actively played. So i created myself an account and wanted to play, join in on that great "new" community and it's many players...

... but actually it kinda seems it was no good for all those open games are unavailable for me. Wherever I join I am practically getting autokicked because i have 1 game and a score or 300 and am either considered too noob to play or a smurf, even from games saying noobs or <1000 or whatever. I gotta admit, I am really disappointed about that, people seem to not even care explaining why I am constantly beeing kicked, nor interested in listening or giving me a chance at all.

It's sad that my excursion to your community was THAT bad. Honestly? That is not a way to treat newcomers, seriously :(
delagrave

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: DeLaBoon

Re: well thanks a lot ...

Postby rootbeer23 » 26 Jan 2013, 03:58

delagrave wrote:it was precisely yesterday

your community was THAT bad.

first day is always the hardest.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby eXcalibur » 26 Jan 2013, 04:29

a lot of people bash newbies here. i agree and this is sad. but please keep playing - you will be rewarded in the end.

when you cannot find a multiplayer game, try a couple (or dozen) of 1v1 automatches. there you will play against players of your abilities (after about 5 games, in which your abilities get esimated).
the score does not say a lot until you have played about 40 to 50 games...
eXcalibur
Priest

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: eXcalibur

Postby GallantDragon » 26 Jan 2013, 05:49

Indeed. People are asses and quick to judge by score. Play a few 1v1 games when the servers are busier and your score will stabilize, you'll get better, and people can't kick you because they won't be seeing your score.

Although some noob games will kick noobs (which makes me wonder why they call themselves noob friendly in the first place), the key is to keep trying, keep playing, keep improving.

And this is coming from someone who's first SupCom multiplayer experiences were on FAF.

EDIT: I highly recommend looking at the guides posted on the newbie forum, as well as supcom.wikia.com. Some of the info is outdated, but general strategies with most units remain valid.
GallantDragon

Postby ColonelSheppard » 26 Jan 2013, 14:14

Dont judge the community by the players below 1000 only.

See, if you have a score of 300, join a game within this rating range (if you pwn them - it's ok)
In my first game i wanted to join a "Rating = 1000 game" , but i was kicked, so i joined a U300 game.
You wanna hear something? Was Fun!
Rating is there to get balanced matches, and you normally do not get balanced matches with a 300 rating player in your team (exclusions proof the rule so to speak :mrgreen: )
However i have three good advices for you:

1. dont care rating, many people see rating the totaly wrong way!
More rating does not mean more skill, but more skill means more rating. Also rating is no higscore but a possibility to balance matches!

2. join game within your rating range and you wont be kicked, if you win all the time you will be able to join other games (nobody will kick you from any games if you got 5 games and 1200 rating, cause that means you are good) or just host a game yourself

3. play 1v1 Ladder: If you get a good player, he willl be just happy for free win, and normally will give you some advices (at least i do and i see most of the other 1600 + player doing this)

If you think somebody is way off the road, you can speak to a modrator, dont just be angry, do something against it.
Also if you need help, you could ask somebody of the trainer team, or smaybe just one from your country if they join higer rated games together with you.
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 26 Jan 2013, 15:09

Also, hosting games by yourself would also be a good idea. Then you get to kick people out if you think you'll not stand a chance against them. I'm sure that you (unlike others) will offer an explanation as to why you're about to kick the other guy.

Give the game a proper name (something like "Rating less than 700") and you'll be rewarded.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby ZaphodX » 26 Jan 2013, 18:46

FA is a difficult game. Your first games are very hard and you won't play very well. Persistence and determination are very powerful and rewarding. Watch your replays, see how your opponent played it, be critical of your mistakes and learn from them.

My No1. piece of advice is just play as much as possible, once you get more games under your belt you will improve a lot and people won't kick you for being very inexperienced.
ZaphodX
Contributor

FAF User Name: TAG_ZaphodX

Postby delagrave » 26 Jan 2013, 20:46

Thank you all for your encouragement - really!

I must admit I was quite frustrated, when I posted this. :?

I felt like beeing excluded from a club I wanted to join so badly for I really love the (first) both SupComs and it's damn epic gameplay and really liked to play with others now. But you are right:

* I gave up too early
* There are ways to play for me, too
* There are players tolerating newbies
* and ye, I can still host myself

Today a played a few games (and ye, I wasn't very good...) but still had fun and that's what I was looking for! I am looking forward to spend more time at FAF, and try to grow some skill soon ;)

Regards, DeLaBoon!
delagrave

FAF User Name: DeLaBoon

Postby drdeath » 26 Jan 2013, 20:50

Good to hear! I've you ever see me hosting a game feel welcome to join, i'm newish to the game myself and like practicing 1v1 ranked maps.
drdeath
Contributor

FAF User Name: DrDeath

Postby Gyle » 03 Feb 2013, 15:48

delagrave wrote:Thank you all for your encouragement - really!

I must admit I was quite frustrated, when I posted this. :?

I felt like beeing excluded from a club I wanted to join so badly for I really love the (first) both SupComs and it's damn epic gameplay and really liked to play with others now. But you are right:

* I gave up too early
* There are ways to play for me, too
* There are players tolerating newbies
* and ye, I can still host myself

Today a played a few games (and ye, I wasn't very good...) but still had fun and that's what I was looking for! I am looking forward to spend more time at FAF, and try to grow some skill soon ;)

Regards, DeLaBoon!

Look me up. Ill play with you.
My youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/felixlighta?feature=mhee

"Don't take life too seriously... no one gets out alive."
Gyle

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 28 times
FAF User Name: Gyle

Next

Return to Help