Tutorial Productions

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Tutorial Productions

Postby ColonelSheppard » 27 Jan 2013, 01:10

(9) Overcharge.fafreplay
(9) Learn about the strong Commander ability "Overcharge"
(8.56 KiB) Downloaded 1664 times

(10) Seleens.fafreplay
Learn more about the sneaky T1 scouts of the Seraphim, Masspointsblocking and how you should use them yourself.
(5.85 KiB) Downloaded 1294 times

Ze_Pilot: You may have a look t my first post and push the replays in, if possible with your replay renamed to "(11) Upgrading Massextractors" - Learn about what effect upgrading Massextractors has on you gameplay.
Maybe rename the "FA-Economy" - Tab to "Getting started" (i'm lacling a better idea atm) make it the main tab and put the text how to use it above the replays

rename the "Laddermap presentation" to "Laddermaps introduction"

rename the "map related tutorials" to "setons" and add napalm rock replay ( last post first site)

make a new tabs called "Links" and enter the links of common written tutorials or just copy'n paste uber's in for example
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby eXcalibur » 27 Jan 2013, 03:44

napalms rock tutorial works perfectly for me.

the only thing which is missing is to mention that the t1 power gens need to be torn down and replaced with mass storage...
eXcalibur
Priest

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: eXcalibur

Postby ColonelSheppard » 02 Feb 2013, 01:31

can this be included?
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby Ze_PilOt » 02 Feb 2013, 13:34

Time is a always a problem. I will be done, but no ETA.

(actually once you've completed all of them so I don't have to do it every 2 days :)
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby ColonelSheppard » 02 Feb 2013, 16:20

Ok the last two topics are finished
All Tutreplays.zip
(113.17 KiB) Downloaded 1594 times

Bonus Replays.zip
(379.52 KiB) Downloaded 1328 times

thx to all who helped
maybe include this too
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2089#p22392

Everything is done, ready for implementation
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby ColonelSheppard » 20 Mar 2013, 14:59

Soooo, some time has passed and i recived good feedback about the replay tutorials, but many people asked for rendered videos (YT)

The main problem with tutorials on yt right now is, that every caster has his own about pretty much everything, from "basic" over "intressting to know" towards "pro knowledge". It's splitted over all channels, not sorted in anyway and most of them are far from beeing clean and you have to pick out the useful information out of a 20min vid. As it was the most requested newcommer help addition, i will start to collect all the tutorial videos on youtube, sort them in a thread, talk to the casters who made them and ask them if i can re-edit them and maybe make some new ones together with somebody. Like last time i haven't spoken to any of the creators yet, but i'm optimistic they will agree on the use of their work.

If this works out, it will be uploaded on the official FAF channel that will maybe soon be created from SPAZ.
The topics will depend on what i find on yt but also the list in the first post in this thread. I wanna have the things in the replays covered too, but let's see.

If you are a new player, or were a newplayer (yeah we all were) and can still remember the time you were a new player :mrgreen: ; then this is your chance again to ask for things to be coverd in the videos or be especially explained. If you are an older player, a caster or somebody who want to help in any way, PM me or post in this thread.

And finally if you were one of the persons complaining about the lack of newcommerhelp some time ago ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3248 ) : I expect you to post now, otherwise i have to consider you as trolls :).

thats it form now
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby ZaphodX » 20 Mar 2013, 15:10

I'm happy for you to use any content from my tutorial videos as long as I'm credited with a link to my channel in the description.

And yeah I do agree with you're suggesting here, it sounds like a very good idea. Also, if you want to give me a draft of a tutorial including what to cover etc then I'm happy to make it into a tutorial video.
ZaphodX
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: TAG_ZaphodX

Postby ColonelSheppard » 20 Mar 2013, 15:57

So it's seems like it actually looks a lot darker than i first thought.
We have:

Factories (Gyle)
Transports and Getthos (Gyle)
Buildrange (Gyle, thats nice)
How to use engys (TA)
Watching Voodoo Economy (TA)
OpenPalm BO (TA)
T2 Ground (TA)
T2 Air (TA)
T2 ACU (TA)
some more Map related BOs (TA)
general explanations & gameplay Havens Reef (Zaph, nice)
Crag Dunes BO (Zaph, that bo sucks btw)
Setons BOs (Sethy)
Facts about transports (ZLO)
Mantis disadvantage (ZLO)
Isis teamgaming tut (ZLO)
Reclaiming forrest (ZLO)

that means we are lacking (in my opinion)

1. GUI tutorial, hell people need to know what to do with all those numbers and buttons
2. a more step by step BO (basicly what Zaph already has bt, much, much slower), i would like to do it the same way as replays (2) and (3), (4) is basicly what Zaph alrealy has
3. a clean thing about eco, just about how eco in supcom works, sandbox, nothing advanced, TA have something like this, but it is also too fast and too cast-based in my opinion
4. seleens, period
5. point defences, people need to know when to NOT build PDs
6. reclaim, we have some about that, let's see what we can cut together, but there is no tutorial that cover reclaim complete and easy understandble (at least i didnt find one)
7. Micro, especially dodging blocking, atackbomber micro, airmicro blablabla
8. Overcharge (yup that is nowhere covered)
9. Auroras (?)
10. adanacy or what it is called, mass storrages, pgens, you know what i mean

----
Setons blub
----
some easy/educational cast (we will find something there)
----
more suggestions from you
----
some cool things like the mantis turret speed abuse etc.

If you want to help, your very wellcome, but pls hold on a moment.
I would like to have all tutorials in a unified format/standard, i will post an example with my nooby english today, so you know what i'm talking about. No casts with much explaining but real tutorials.
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby ZaphodX » 20 Mar 2013, 16:05

RE: my BO video, they aren't meant to be examples of good BOs to copy for certain levels. It's meant to be examples of good (but not great) standard BOs that work on any level.

I really agree with the unified format you are suggesting, I just found it too hard (and beyond my knowledge) to compile such a detailed and exhaustive plan.
ZaphodX
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: TAG_ZaphodX

Postby ColonelSheppard » 20 Mar 2013, 19:06

i made something about User interface, just a fast vid, so you can see what i think about when i say, "halfway clean tutorials" and to show some easy techniques that can be applied by just using a few easy masks
i'm uploading it now so you can see it, that doesnt mean it has to be that way, just a general suggestion, feel free to be less boring, more inovative and more informative, and i want to point out (as it was maybe not very clear in the first post) that speaking in tutorials is surely nothing i will do

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(yep, i just stole my friends account :D)
Last edited by ColonelSheppard on 22 Mar 2013, 18:50, edited 3 times in total.
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Help