Returning Vanilla Veteran - Questions

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Returning Vanilla Veteran - Questions

Postby TehOwn » 22 Jan 2013, 17:35

Thanks for the replay! Was very interesting, I can definitely see the range advantage.

I noticed a few mistakes and tell me if I'm wrong:
1. Aeon player didn't utilize his commander correctly, being that with the gun upgrade he could have easily killed a shit load of Mantises without taking any damage.
2. Cybran player failed to take advantage of air superiority and continued spamming mantises that were just dying before getting a shot off.
3. Cybran player had over 20 Mantises near the Aeon commander and yet failed to harass him.
4. Cybran player stalled outside of Aeon base when he had a large force that he could have easily done serious damage with.

To be honest, all the mistakes that the Cybran player made in the mid/late-game seems to be the only real reason that the Aeon player eventually won. That being said, the early-game was lost due to poor use of the Commander for the Aeon player.

I mean, that is how I view it, perhaps I am completely mistaken and need to change my thought processes. They worked in Vanilla! xD

I don't actually struggle against Cybran players (and almost all of them at my rating just spam gunships) but I find UEF players, even ones less skilled than I am, completely decimate me with ease and without micro.

Perhaps if the next time I play a UEF player, I can save the replay and get crucified (I mean, helped) by everyone telling me what I do wrong. :)
TehOwn

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: TehOwn

Postby ZaphodX » 22 Jan 2013, 19:12

You have made a fair analysis of the game. Cybran pushed very well but didn't quite push hard enough to finish the game. The Aeon player did very little with his comm which made things very difficult for him. He did however defend well which made things difficult for the Cybran player to seal the deal. Having the mantis sitting in his base did not help at all and having the rally point set way up at the front lines would probably have helped keep consistent pressure on Aeon.

I guess the thing I wanted you to get from it is that when you get rushed by tanks you have to kite your aurora away and let them punish chasing units using their range. Massing large amounts of aurora really helps with this. Also you will probably find attack moves very useful with aurora because they stay at range attacking rather than move orders which will move them into fire range and will probably give you heavy losses.
ZaphodX
Contributor

FAF User Name: TAG_ZaphodX

Postby Hoboforce » 05 Mar 2013, 22:02

ZaphodX wrote:Also you will probably find attack moves very useful with aurora because they stay at range attacking rather than move orders which will move them into fire range and will probably give you heavy losses.

That sounds like very good advice for Flynn as well since it seems like it could remove a fair bit of micro for him :lol: Thanks for the tip I did not think to use the attack move that way.
Hoboforce

FAF User Name: Hoboforce

Previous

Return to Help