The Ubilaz Method

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

The Ubilaz Method

Postby Ubilaz » 02 Oct 2012, 13:08

The Ubilaz Method

Introduction

Hello and Welcome!

I've been helping new players to learn this game for quite a while. After feeling that I've ran over the basics over and over I thought that I might save myself some time, through telling here what I tell my students, in a short school, and set up a short learning program. I might expand the school later, if I find it useful. I'm basing this school mainly on my own training experiences, but I've also consulted other players about what their opinions are on the subject.

To make FA ”noob friendlier” in general I think we need to make the trainer team more distinguished. I suggest adding the mentor avatar to faf, or make a group of the logged in trainers, or both. Somehow it should be easy when you are new to faf, to quickly find your way into the game and the community. But enough of this, lets start the guide to fa training!

The Method

First things first. Get faf going. Watch a replay of pro players (found under the replays tab), everytime u have the chance, to get an idea of how the game is played. Then read a guide to forged alliance, there are links for them on the forum. Get GAZ_UI, everyone I've spoken to recommends it. Learn the basic elements of the game, like units and factions. What stuff looks like and what it does. Last part is optional though, since it will appear to you along the way.

When you have gone so far, the real training begins. Find the map theta passage. It's a 1v1, 5x5, official map. If there is a turtorial to the map, watch it. Then play against sorian AI rush, over and over, until you beat it. U may play the lower levels if u want to first, but i think u should start with that one, because it's not that difficult and you will get less of a wrong behaviour from the start. If you are loosing, watch the replay and what the AI did and u didn't, to set up the tactics for the next game.

If you are losing on Theta Passage there are some things you are doing wrong, these are examples that usually occurs when new players play:

First look at your start and your build order. If you have read guides you probably know that you should not waste your mass at any point, for example.

Second thing is that you might be teching mass, which should be avoided, since you need your mass for other things.

Third is that you need factories and you might not be building them, or you are not building them fast enough. I recommend six or seven factories in total on theta passage.

Fourth is that you might not be using your acu offensively. He is a great military unit and should be treated as such.

Fifth is that you might be overbuilding point defenses (PD). There are rarely more than one (PD) built in theta games on a higher level.

Sixth is that you need to include military units in your first factory. You wont be able to protect your early engineers or kill your opponents early engieneers if you don't build them.

Most importaintly, you might not be expanding or attacking enough. Many new players think in terms of defending and building, when they should be thinking expanding and attacking. Map control is crucial and you really need as many mass points as you can get, to keep your economy going.

You might also be overbuilding power. Try to keep one engineer buiding power after you have finnished the hydro and you should be fine.

You might not be reclaiming enough either. Try to get the rocks spread out around the mountain range, reaching from the corner, to the center of the map. The destroyed buildings in the center aren't really worth much.

When you can beat an AI it's time to move up. If you have looked up the turtorials tab you have found a link to a trainer team on faf. They can help you at this stage. Otherwise just try to find a player thats top 400 on the 1v1 ladder and ask if u can play theta. Play it over and over and ask for advice, try to use nice elements from the other players start and listen to general tips. The point in finding a player better than yourself becomes obvious when you later play someone on that map that you thought was of your own skill level. Don't be suprised if you win a lot. If you lose, look at how long it took and look at every prolonging of a game as an improvment. The longer you last, while still playing the game as it should be played, the better you have become.

If you still want to play a player of your own skill level, remove tech 2, tech 3 and tech 4 from the game. That will force you to play offensive and use the acu and thus reduce the risk of you adapting a bad behaviour, wich becomes much bigger when fighting an unskilled player.

When you are able to beat decent players on theta i suggest moving on to the map Blasted Rock, and do the same thing as you did with theta. This time you should find a player ranked 250 best 1v1 or higher though ( the higher the better). Next map would be Open Palms, same procedure, but find a player among the 90 best 1v1 or up! At the same time you should be starting to practice Bermuda Locket with a very high rated player. Practice over and over until u get it right.

Concluding Part

This is my method and I've found it quite useful. This is the fastest way to learn from what I've found and while some people recommend to start with playing team games I don't agree, because you don't have to do everything youself and for various of other reasons. You might be thinking that after this method you only know how to play theta, blasted rock, palms and bermuda, but many things in supreme commander repeats themselves and these maps are rather general and they're covering big parts of the game. Includung major parts of team play and ladder gaming.

General Related Tips

If you are playing a new map. Check if there is a turtorial and watch a game of it, played by a really high ranked player. Try to take after what that player does the first minutes and parts of that players general tactics, like where to place radars and similar. If you do that you more than double your chances of winning an game on that map, I would say. You don't need to follow exactly what the player does, but it might help you a lot and get you on the right track. I do it myself every now and then, when I lose a game because of a bad opening.

Remember that the players that are best at winning are probably the players that are best at loosing too. You need to lose a lot before you will win a lot and people usually find it easier to lose to a friendly person i a training game, than in a hardcore player in a ladder game.

When watching a replay, you can click a player name in the upper right corner of the screen, to see their exact situation and economy. This helps when you want to understand why a player acted like he/she did, or just want more input.

GL HF too you!

Any oppinions or ideas on this are welcome :) Thx!

//Ubilaz

New addition of maps, follow the same basic principal.

The (!!) means main focus for the map.

Theta:
Standard(!!), Hydro, basic landspam, 2 player map, 5x5, normal reclaim

Blasted Rock:
Middle obstacle(!!), 4 player map, 5x5, importaint reclaim, acu crucial, choke points

Four Corners:
Water(!!), Islands, Much reclaim combo with no hydro, air very valid, 4 player map, T1 navy, 5x5

Arctic Refuge:
10x10(!!), 4 player map, not much reclaim, mid importaint, expanding, not too much mass for a 10x10, raiding, intel

Open Palms:
Massive landspam(!!), 10x10, 6 player map, side expansions, basic transporting, rather allround

White Fire v2 (changed high noon)
Teching(!!), navy battles, 10x10, 6 player map, air battles, expansion bases on opponents side, drops, reclaim (stealing), scouting, sonar

The Bermuda Locket:
20x20 8 player map(!!), huge reclaim, power spamming, drops, navy, intel, expansion bases, navy two rings, air, landspam, choke points
Last edited by Ubilaz on 02 Jun 2013, 16:45, edited 16 times in total.
Attack the enemy where he is weak, avoid him where he is strong.
Ubilaz
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Ubilaz

Re: The Ubilaz Method

Postby uberge3k » 02 Oct 2012, 13:13

Excellent guide. :)
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Postby Voodoo » 02 Oct 2012, 13:54

Yes good guide.

I would add, if you have realy no idea what to do on a map. Look for a replay from a top 50 player and watch it in the players view. Have a look on all orders and try the same. When this is working you can make your own thoughts about the build order.
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby Emptyless » 03 Oct 2012, 12:58

Well writen. I Approve :)
Emptyless
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Emptyless

Postby Doompants » 06 Oct 2012, 03:02

Very nice. To clarify something Voodoo said when watching replays -- if you click on a player name, you watch from that player's point of view, and if you hold shift, you can see the exact orders and waypoints given.

That part is huge, and I have found a few newish players that never realized you could do that.
Doompants

Has liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Doompants

Postby IceDreamer » 07 Oct 2012, 09:05

Finally, once you have seen those BOs, don't feel obliged to try and copy them move for move. Often it will be better for you to follow your instincts and make some changes to that BO, and in doing so, you will be able to observe in your games where your changes go wrong and why, which is the important bit. By changing these BOs, you will begin to understand how and why they are the way they are, and will gain far more as a player than from just copying pro moves blindly.

Who knows, even the pros aren't infallible, it may just be that you stumble across and even more efficient BO which may be the one looked at by the newbies of the future!
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Ubilaz » 12 Oct 2012, 01:10

Thanks for all of the feedback, I appreciate! :)

I'm adding the relevant missing parts and I hope it will come to some good use. I think both new players and players like myself can benefit from reading and following this when teaching, or learning. It's really great to both learn FA and teach FA at the same time and I recommend it to anyone who feels up to it!
Attack the enemy where he is weak, avoid him where he is strong.
Ubilaz
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Ubilaz

Postby Softly » 29 Oct 2012, 00:34

Consider this guide Dalli approved.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby Fiete_F_F » 31 Oct 2012, 12:09

Ubilaz wrote:The Ubilaz Method
[..]
When watching a replay, you can click a player name in the upper left corner of the screen, to see their exact situation and economy. [...]

//Ubilaz

Is it the upper right corner in an unmodified client? (not realy important)
Fiete_F_F
Contributor

Has liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Fiete_F_F

Postby Voodoo » 31 Oct 2012, 14:05

Fiete_F_F wrote:
Is it the upper right corner in an unmodified client? (not realy important)

yes
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Next

Return to Help