Hotkey problem

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Hotkey problem

Postby un_known » 15 Mar 2020, 00:06

So i just started to get into fa and i find the way hotkeys work in fa weird in general. there are 2 things specifically that i dont understand.

1:

Is it possible to customise the command groupds in hotbuilding? What i mean is, multiple buildings are bound to the same key and you can select which one specifically by pressing the key multiple times and thats really usefull but the group of buildings seem to be pre defined. So for example if i want to group structues and units based on their roles like all tiers of static anti air and air staging facility on the same key or combination can i do that, or do i have to stick with the presets which seem weird?

2:

In every other mmo/rts game i played it is possible to bind multiple actions to the same key as long as the game can find a way to prevent ambiguity. So for example i should be able to bind the A key to attack and also produce tier 1 anti air unit and select all air units on screen since the game can resolve ambiguity by checking what do i have currently selected. If i have a factory selected it orders the factory to produce the corresponding unit, if have a military unit selected it orders it to attack and if i have no units/buildings selected it selects all air units on screen. This is how it worked in pretty much all games ive played untill now and it seems intuitive for it to be that way. But when i started messing with hotkey settings it didnt let me do this. I understand why i cant set A to build aa defense and also attack since if i select an acu or sacu the game doesnt know wether i want it to build something or attack but when i tried to set select all air units and attack to the same key it didnt let me. To be more specific this is what i want to have since it seems intuitive to me:

Under order tab:

attack: A (shift version aswell)
assist: ctrl + A (same)

Under selection tab:

select all air units on screen: A
select all air units: ctrl + A
select all air factories: ctrl + alt + A

Under hotbuilding:

all tiers of static aa + air staging facility: A
tier 1 anti air units while a factory of any type is selected: A
tier 2 anti air units while a factory of any type is selected: ctrl + A
tier 3 anti air units while a factory of any type is selected: shift + A

Now this seems very intuitive and easy to build muscle memory with, everything related to air is bound to a so when i select an engineer i know what will give me all static structures related to air and when i have no units selected the exact same key and its combinations will give me all my air units and air unit production facilities and even more than that when i have production facilites selected the very same key will order it to produce any tier of anti air unit based on the type of factory and the combinations that i press. Now having ctrl and shift modifiers for different tiers of units may be too complicated so i understand why faf would not have support for this and im fine with having a different hotkey for each unit but having to bind a different key combination for literally every different action seems very inefficent.

Conclusion, am i dumb and all of these settings actually exist or this is how faf actually works? And if this is how faf works is there a mod that does some/all of the things said above?
un_known

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: un_known

Re: Hotkey problem

Postby PhilipJFry » 15 Mar 2020, 00:15

sure you just gotta make a mod for it
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times