Error You do not own Forged Alliance on Steam or your profil

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Error You do not own Forged Alliance on Steam or your profil

Postby slinki » 25 Sep 2018, 20:28

Do I need to purchase a digital copy of Forged Alliance on Steam - even though I already own a physical copy - in order to successfully link my FAF and Steam accounts? I assume the fact this is even necessary to begin with, is to prove that I own the game? I have already tried "adding" a game not on steam, into my steam, but it seems this isnt good enough..

Thanks.
slinki
Crusader

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Error You do not own Forged Alliance on Steam or your pr

Postby Geosearchef » 26 Sep 2018, 00:21

You do need to own a copy on steam. You can try taking your box key and adding it to steam (via the steam key option in the menu). This most of the time works. Head over to the news section of faforever.com to read why the this system was enabled for now. I'm already working on a solution to identifying unique computers (the old one didn't work well) so we can disable this as soon as possible.
Developer, Server Admin, ICE, currently working on Team Matchmaking, FAF Client
Geosearchef
Contributor

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 127 times
FAF User Name: Geosearchef

Postby slinki » 01 Oct 2018, 14:31

Geosearchef wrote:You do need to own a copy on steam. You can try taking your box key and adding it to steam (via the steam key option in the menu). This most of the time works. Head over to the news section of faforever.com to read why the this system was enabled for now. I'm already working on a solution to identifying unique computers (the old one didn't work well) so we can disable this as soon as possible.

Thanks for that. I tried your method and it worked. Im quite new to Steam so didnt realise I could do that. That's quite a cool function actually. Once it confirmed the serial, it then asked if I wanted to download Sup Com and Sup Com Forged Alliance which I was impressed with. By any chance do you know if I had of went ahead and downloaded these, do they download fully patched or is it just like installing the DVDs in the case?

Cheers.
slinki
Crusader

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Geosearchef » 01 Oct 2018, 15:31

The patch that is downloaded via steam is a newer version than the boxed version. We continously create new balance patches/bug fixes which will be downloaded by the FAF client of your choice once you start the game via it for the first time. This is the same regardless of the version of FA you own. (You will still have to tell the FAF client where your normal FA installation is located, although it will find the automatically if it's in the default location or the steam directory)
Developer, Server Admin, ICE, currently working on Team Matchmaking, FAF Client
Geosearchef
Contributor

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 127 times
FAF User Name: Geosearchef

Return to Help