survival maps not working

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

survival maps not working

Postby AlphaWolfGamer » 01 Jun 2017, 04:37

many maps don't seem to be working it says arbitrary options detected and says such things and does not work on any survival maps. all the ones we've tried anyways.

from
Survival_Campaign_v1c.v0002
to
survival_5thdimension_v3.v0001 none of them seem to work at all

so i was wondering if anyone knew a work around to make them work because see when run on the game from steam the maps work great but when run from faf the maps give the error listed above.
AlphaWolfGamer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: AlphaWolfGamer

Re: survival maps not working

Postby PhilipJFry » 01 Jun 2017, 08:30

i see people host and play survival all the time so i guess something is wrong on your end
maybe you should post logs or at least a screenshot of your settings in the lobby so that someone can point out what's wrong
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby biass » 01 Jun 2017, 08:50

"arbitary options have been selected" you can mostly ignore, make sure to run the map in sandbox or something and it'll run, dont worry about the teams/gamemode, as most maps will autoset them for you
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby CookieNoob » 01 Jun 2017, 09:15

Code: Select all
arbitary options have been selected

means that the creator of the map tried to set the key of the option as default value of the option. This doesnt work since the default value is the number of the option that it is supposed to be.

Example:
(option number*), (name**), (key value***)
1) Option 1: key 20
2) Option 2: key 40
3) Option 3: key 60

a lot of survival maps have a default value using the key instead of the option number:
default = 40

The game will then try to use Option 40 as default option (which doesnt exist) and thus triggering this error.

* position of the option in the option list
** name of the option, i.e. startup time
*** value for the option that is handed over to the game, i.e. 20 seconds startup time

The lobby shows this warning and then uses the first option as the fallback solution. However, the actual key value of the option (the code often relies of this value being set somewhere) is ONLY given to the map script when the option is changed. In case it is not changed to a non-default value, the variable is not set inside the script, which can and will cause all sorts of problems.
Check out the next level of maps: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13014
For adaptivity, customizability and less clutter in the vault.
CookieNoob
Priest

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 249 times
FAF User Name: CookieNoob

Postby AlphaWolfGamer » 01 Jun 2017, 18:05

so basically cookie monster your saying if i correct the map script with settings that work for faf then the map would work like it's supposed to?

CookieNoob wrote:
arbitary options have been selected

means that the creator of the map tried to set the key of the option as default value of the option. This doesnt work since the default value is the number of the option that it is supposed to be.

Example:
(option number*), (name**), (key value***)
1) Option 1: key 20
2) Option 2: key 40
3) Option 3: key 60

a lot of survival maps have a default value using the key instead of the option number:
default = 40

The game will then try to use Option 40 as default option (which doesnt exist) and thus triggering this error.

* position of the option in the option list
** name of the option, i.e. startup time
*** value for the option that is handed over to the game, i.e. 20 seconds startup time

The lobby shows this warning and then uses the first option as the fallback solution. However, the actual key value of the option (the code often relies of this value being set somewhere) is ONLY given to the map script when the option is changed. In case it is not changed to a non-default value, the variable is not set inside the script, which can and will cause all sorts of problems.
AlphaWolfGamer

Postby CookieNoob » 01 Jun 2017, 18:10

I just explained what the error is. Correcting it will probably help, but make sure that you upload the map as new version to the vault (or you might get desyncs when you change it locally only).
Without looking at the script, I cant tell you if the map will work as intended afterwards. Try it and see if it works.
Check out the next level of maps: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13014
For adaptivity, customizability and less clutter in the vault.
CookieNoob
Priest

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 249 times
FAF User Name: CookieNoob

Postby AlphaWolfGamer » 01 Jun 2017, 18:21

if i give you the script would you be able to fix it yourself because if so that would really help XD

https://pastebin.com/u5EY8JmM

there is a link to the script

maybe it's just my pc but then again the map didn't work on anyone's computer my brother often host maps and such he hosted it and then i tried and multiple times it changes it back and gives said error.

update: after a few times of testing i have discovered that it not fully working might be do to the fact that it requires no rush to be turned on to render all the units i am not fully certain this is the case but i'm gonna test that myself and such.

update 2: after testing such things no rush is preferred but not required from what i can tell it might be a glitch online playing the map and such maybe turning on the settings and fixing them properly would fix the glitch i'm not fully certain as of yet
AlphaWolfGamer

Return to Help