Elite Dangerous

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Elite Dangerous

Postby ColonelSheppard » 15 Dec 2014, 22:15

Has anybody played this for a while?
Can it live up to Freelancer/X3TC-Extendended mod?

I didnt buy a game for 40 bucks since SupCom 2. I have pretty high expectations to a space sim, and much reservations against 40$ games by now.
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Re: Elite Dangerous

Postby Anaryl » 16 Dec 2014, 07:34

http://kotaku.com/an-honest-elite-dange ... 1669889368

It depends what you are into. From the sounds of it though the game is massive. I went with star citizen - and more than a little disappointed by the way it's going. Buy a HOTAS - game plays better with mouse. FML. That's left a bad taste in my mouth. I did consider it though
Anaryl
Banned

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Anaryl

Postby ColonelSheppard » 16 Dec 2014, 09:01

Yes i've seen that article..
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby Anaryl » 16 Dec 2014, 09:52

I read 33 billion star systems somewhere - that sounds like a massive universe.
Anaryl
Banned

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Anaryl

Postby ColonelSheppard » 16 Dec 2014, 10:58

sounds like much generic sectors to me
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby sisso » 16 Dec 2014, 22:36

Simple don't buy alfa craps.

Play X3:AP with Litcube (https://code.google.com/p/litcubesuniverse/wiki/Index, is still in heavy development) and then X3: Rebalance Mod (X3 Rebalance Mod). You will have something like 600 hours of gameplay until appear something good.

PS: I don't belive in millionaries alpha funding. A lot of money and no responsability is a combination for garbage.
sisso
Crusader

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: sisso

Postby ColonelSheppard » 17 Dec 2014, 01:28

I tried it and after about 1h i can tell you: It's garbage don't buy.
When i spend the first 1h in youtubevids and the control settings that is simply inacceptable.
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby Ze_PilOt » 17 Dec 2014, 09:03

Are you playing with an HOTAS or on the keyboard? Are you using the lateral thrusters? :)
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby ColonelSheppard » 17 Dec 2014, 09:57

Spoiler: show
Keyboard & yes

OK let me extrapolate this.

I so far played this game about two hours, which, I agree isn't alot after all. Yet games that manage to anoy me in such a short time, tend to usually be stupid even after longer playing them. Let's start with the main things that prevent me from instantly having fun with it:

-> Where is my autopilot from every other space game i enoyed?
-> Supercruise: Ok this is simply redicolous and it seems to be the main mechanic of the game, now i suppose this is from the original game or something, which i honestly never played because it was before my time and I'm not into retro c64 space sim gaming, so for me the thing that matters is: It sucks, because it intentionally wastes your time. It's basicly like fast travel in Dragon Age Origins, just that you have to stop in the right moment otherwise you lose a few minutes, and that it isn't fast travel. O.k. i get that you might get used to that stopping, but what the hell! This isn't super hexagon, this game (at least from what i thought) is not meant to anoy you it's meant to be fun whiche leads to the next thing
-> boring sektors, ok you might say w0000t didn't you see the stars or some asteroid belts? Well, yes i did, and yes the graphics are neat BUT the sectors are empty, i mean of course they are that "logical", but that doesn't make it good, it's one thing to feel lonely, but if you cant find anything "intressting" on your journeys then the loneliest univers may actually feel boring, and the supercruise basicly makes "instances" for every station, ofc they cannot make sinza, but why isnt this implemented like i.e. in freelaner with trading routes and travelspeed (no supercruise is nowhere near this mechanic, supercruise is essentially just an anoying fasttravel minigame)
-> fighting seems 08/15
-> exploring: since every planet/station/etc is essentially it's own instance i miss a real feel of exploring, i might aswell play spore
-> i consider the galaxymap poorly desinged and 100% unoverseeable (which i asume was kinda intentional, but that doesnt make it any better)

What i haven't done yet:
-> having had a deep look into the weapon system/mechanics (i expect it at least to live up to freelancer, better also to X-Series
-> having had a deeper look into trading system, but i asume it cant live up to X3 which is the state of art in that area
-> reading the news/backstory
-> things that make this game awesome and i dont know about

This is not a rant:
It isn't, it's an expression of initial disapointment because yet another space sim failed to fullfill my expectations, and i do have a bad feeling about star citizicen. X3TC/Albion (which would essentially be the same) is how old now? 5 years (?) Frelancer is 13 years old (!) and it'S still better than new sapce sims. Im simply sad. :cry:
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby Ze_PilOt » 17 Dec 2014, 14:41

You should explore a little more. ie. there is an autopilot for docking and some assists for travel.
Ie. by setting your thrusters to 50% in supercruise, your ship will adjust to the right speed automatically.
Better ships travel faster too.

It's a simulation and a MMO, fast travel is out of question.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Next

Return to Off-Topic