Elite Dangerous

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Elite Dangerous

Postby ColonelSheppard » 18 Dec 2014, 10:04

I will try out multiplayer with a few guys from the university on weekend, including one that likes the game, i'll post here again then, in case anybody else thinks about buying.
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby ColonelSheppard » 22 Dec 2014, 16:35

So i have played a bit more now, and must still say: I'm not impressed, i masure this on the X Series and Freelancer, and while people are right that it's not exactly the same kind of game I still think the Elite Dangerous just made a lot of bad gamedesing decisions in the name of "realism" (though i wonder how it's realistic that in the 3k'th century you dont have a proper GPS like navigation system) and the orginal game (sorry but it just isn't the 1980s anymore) that ultimately make the game difficult to enoy. I' not saying that i cannot become good at one point but right now it's a medicore spacesim-like-orwhatever that can't live up to other space sims.

There seem to people that like the game for what it is, but everybody who wants to buy it i would reccomend to have a look on it at a friend first if you have the chance or spend 1h looking gameplay videos and see what you are actually doing most of the time.
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby ToejamS » 23 Dec 2014, 01:34

Being old enough to have played the first elite Im really interested in how this game goes. 40 quid for beta access is too rich for me. Waiting for some more reviews from non fanboi sources. Youtubes do look good but dunno how much of the boring stuff that is edited out. Anyone else played it yet??? gimmie your 2 cents worth.
ToejamS

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: ToejamS

Postby Zoram » 23 Dec 2014, 02:16

ToejamS wrote:Being old enough to have played the first elite Im really interested in how this game goes. 40 quid for beta access is too rich for me. Waiting for some more reviews from non fanboi sources. Youtubes do look good but dunno how much of the boring stuff that is edited out. Anyone else played it yet??? gimmie your 2 cents worth.

I'm a bit puzzled by this new financing model.
First you build a game by "crowdsourcing" (investors who get no other returns than the product existing, that seems like charity to me), then get people to pay a high price to beta test your work in progress. Didn't they use to pay testers in the past ?

If that works (seems to be working), congrats to the developpers really, not sure if that's a good thing for the overall quality of the games produced though.
Zoram
Priest

Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 111 times
FAF User Name: zoram

Postby ColonelSheppard » 23 Dec 2014, 02:21

It's actually released. I never buy beta games. I actually don't even buy release games anymore after SupCom2 and probably not for along time after this.
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby ZeRen » 23 Dec 2014, 16:57

ColonelSheppard wrote:It's actually released. I never buy beta games. I actually don't even buy release games anymore after SupCom2 and probably not for along time after this.

I do the same, it is risky to buy game you can't try, so many fail games
It is better download and try, then buy, I did it with SupCom 2 and uninstall after few mission
-------------
I watched some videos about Elite, and I must say most time you spend in fast traveling, I never liked this tipe
freelancer has so cool traveling mechanic, I loved those jump gates and the cruise engine, sectors were full, intresting, not real of course but sometime realism is not good for gameplay

I currently watch for Starcitizen so I hope sectors will be similar to Freelancer
ZeRen
Evaluator

Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby ColonelSheppard » 24 Dec 2014, 17:46

I was in this awesome elevator today when i noticed that driving in an elevator was way more intressting than playing this game:
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Previous

Return to Off-Topic