TA 2 hints

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: TA 2 hints

Postby Flynn » 03 Nov 2014, 23:40

I disagree vehemently and entirely. Since when do you spend time starring up close to a unit or the ground? That is the only situation in which you would notice low res textures. Perhaps you have everything on low without realising.
Flynn
Evaluator

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Flynn

Postby lextoc » 03 Nov 2014, 23:47

Flynn wrote:I disagree vehemently and entirely. Since when do you spend time starring up close to a unit or the ground? That is the only situation in which you would notice low res textures. Perhaps you have everything on low without realising.

Not only the units have textures, most maps don't even come close to good textures when you are at a normal zoom level.
I'm watching you!
lextoc
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 227 times
FAF User Name: lextoc

Postby Aurion » 04 Nov 2014, 15:27

Flynn wrote:Sorry this is off topic but I have to ask Aurion:

What more could you possibly want from SupCom's graphics? They are beautiful and vibrant, the texture detail is amazing, lighting, particle effects, everything. Remaking a game that came out a few years ago would be pointless.

Graphics have improved greatly since then, lighting, textures, animations. This is all not that important though, what I want is an up-to-date engine with improved simulation. Every Seton's game still goes to negative gamespeed while that is certainly not necessary with the hardware we have these days. With current hardware it would also be possible to greatly improve pathfinding, which is one of the biggest issues this game knows. While this game has aged in a very good way (not very much), there are just so many more possibilities in 2014 compared to 2007 (7 years is HUGE).
Aurion
Priest

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: NuclearPudding

Postby NewForumAccount » 04 Nov 2014, 17:00

[quote"Aurion"]With current hardware it would also be possible to greatly improve pathfinding, which is one of the biggest issues this game knows. While this game has aged in a very good way (not very much), there are just so many more possibilities in 2014 compared to 2007 (7 years is HUGE).[/quote]
The biggest problem of all heavily simulted, large scale games is always the units AI (pathfinding/targeting etc). Even recently released CPU-demanding games have issues using multiple cores (e.g. PA, ARMA3). CPU-demanding games always perform bad when the simulation is being done by the clients instead of being centralized.
NewForumAccount

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Flynn » 05 Nov 2014, 13:11

Aurion wrote:
Flynn wrote:Sorry this is off topic but I have to ask Aurion:

What more could you possibly want from SupCom's graphics? They are beautiful and vibrant, the texture detail is amazing, lighting, particle effects, everything. Remaking a game that came out a few years ago would be pointless.

Graphics have improved greatly since then, lighting, textures, animations. This is all not that important though, what I want is an up-to-date engine with improved simulation. Every Seton's game still goes to negative gamespeed while that is certainly not necessary with the hardware we have these days. With current hardware it would also be possible to greatly improve pathfinding, which is one of the biggest issues this game knows. While this game has aged in a very good way (not very much), there are just so many more possibilities in 2014 compared to 2007 (7 years is HUGE).

I have a very good eyesight and the graphics look simply stunning to me. Just because they are not the latest cutting edge dx12 graphics doesn't mean they don't look good. Even zoomed right up close to a unit the textures are sharp high resolution textures.

I agree what you are saying about the simspeed problem, for some reason when SupCom was launched there was a huge deal made of it supporting dual cores (as the latest technology was back in the mid noughties) but apparently that was false. That is a weakness in the engine I agree.

I have never noticed any pathfinding problems though, that was another thing that was made a big deal of when the game was launched and in that case it was true, the pathfinding was simply amazing compared to Total Annihilation (where you had to set rally points for every single move order where the units had to move somewhere complex).

It just seems in the last decade everyone has adopted this attitude that something a few years old is obsolete, when, quite frankly, it isn't and is perfectly fine. From your comments I am surprised that we both agree that the game has aged well though :lol:

People critising the graphics (even though I can't see what there is to critisize) also seem to forget that hundreds of units, explosions, particle effects all have to be rendered on screen at once. We have a fully 3D RTS game, no one seems to appreciate that. It's not a first person shooter where you are likely to be right up close to anything. Fun fact, back when I was ten I literally had a dream where I was playing TA and it was all in 3D, seven years later Chris Taylor actually made the closest thing to TA in 3D which was SupCom :)
Flynn
Evaluator

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Flynn

Postby crazywauz » 05 Nov 2014, 15:00

crazywauz

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: JoeDiBoe

Previous