Planetary Annihilation x FAF

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Planetary Annihilation x FAF

Postby odin002 » 15 Jun 2014, 16:58

I don't understand, why only one faction? Are they really serious about that ? I mean I've never seen a rts with only one faction.

I don't need to dig more on this game, it's dead if there is only one faction. You know what is the worst in rts game? Playing a mirror game (which means you have a faction/civilisation and the ennemy has the same), it's so boring. And when I see that on PA, the choice is easy sadly. I expected supcom2 to be the successor of fa, nope. Then I expected PA to be the successor of fa, nope. I guess there will be no successor of fa =( It's rather funny because I think it's the best rts, but no successor.
odin002

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: odin002

Postby LittleInferno » 15 Jun 2014, 17:55

Yes PA its a boring game .

I dont now but iff you never play a rts i think that kind players might like it dunno.
But iff you a rts player not like me i play all kind games,but like most FA players you will find fery fast that game wont have space to live long .
I think Supreeme commander 2 have made bether job then PA will do even with the future corrections since its still on beta.

But lets wait and see, i just dont belive in that game has a Rts to new generation its too cartoon and without new ideas, only stock ideas from the pass...
LittleInferno
Banned

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Katherine

Postby AdmiralZeech » 17 Jul 2014, 14:39

odin002 wrote:I don't understand, why only one faction? Are they really serious about that ? I mean I've never seen a rts with only one faction.

I don't need to dig more on this game, it's dead if there is only one faction. You know what is the worst in rts game? Playing a mirror game (which means you have a faction/civilisation and the ennemy has the same), it's so boring. And when I see that on PA, the choice is easy sadly. I expected supcom2 to be the successor of fa, nope. Then I expected PA to be the successor of fa, nope. I guess there will be no successor of fa =( It's rather funny because I think it's the best rts, but no successor.

If your game requires multiple factions to be interesting, then it means your underlying game mechanics are bad.

The ideal model for RTS development should be to start with the jack-of-all-trades, safe and familiar faction (usually Terran, UEF, etc), make it balanced, deep, and have good variety in strategy. After you have a good strategy game without silly gimmicks, you can add your next faction, which is weird and has totally different mechanics. You use the first faction as a balance baseline and adjust the new faction until it's balanced and deep. Then repeat etc.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Gerfand » 19 Jul 2014, 04:21

AdmiralZeech wrote:
odin002 wrote:I don't understand, why only one faction? Are they really serious about that ? I mean I've never seen a rts with only one faction.

If your game requires multiple factions to be interesting, then it means your underlying game mechanics are bad.

The ideal model for RTS development should be to start with the jack-of-all-trades, safe and familiar faction (usually Terran, UEF, etc), make it balanced, deep, and have good variety in strategy. After you have a good strategy game without silly gimmicks, you can add your next faction, which is weird and has totally different mechanics. You use the first faction as a balance baseline and adjust the new faction until it's balanced and deep. Then repeat etc.

Also One faction only make the balance much more easy, because you don't need to balance a unit (percy for ex) to another unit be viable (MK for ex)
Gerfand

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby ColonelSheppard » 23 Jul 2014, 18:25

pip wrote:6) Since they invented the 'gamma phase' of a game development, when is it supposed to be finished? After Delta? Or is it really near completion? From what I see, it's still a long way from being finished.

exactly my opinion
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Gerfand » 29 Aug 2014, 17:50

This is my last word about this "conflict"

Gerfand

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby Stuart98 » 07 Oct 2014, 05:13

Before ya'll give up on PA entirely

We have a mod community that has done a decent amount of stuff. There are a number of mods such as Hotbuild 2 that enhance the UI, along with others such as Awesome Projectiles that improve the look of certain aspects of the game. In the balance department there are two main contenders: RCBM and Statera. Both slow down the game and make it so that units aren't made of toilet paper. Both have strong TA roots; the two biggest differences to our approaches are RCBM goes for a more TA approach to bots/vehicles whereas we go for a more SupCom approach (i.e. bots are fast and dps efficient; tanks are slow and hp efficient) along with RCBM going with more of a philosophy of a "Minimum Effective Solution" ie they only add units where absolutely necessary whereas we add units to increase the variety and fill in missing roles that, although the game wouldn't suffer without, do help to increase the fluidity of gameplay.

To use mods first download this: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel- ... orm.59992/ (Dang it forum Y U MAKE ME ADD A SPACE)

Go to available mods to install mods. There should be a toggle that let's you switch between client and server mods. Client mods are typically "just install them, run the game, and nothing further should be needed" although some, such as hotbuild 2 and auto-factory are best configured to your desired settings. Server mods are only applied when you host games. Both balance mods require icons mods to be installed (The Realm Community UI Mod or Statera Icons) in order for icons to show up; the icons will show up in the client mod section and the actual mod in the server mod section. Those joining the game do not have to have the mod installed (although icons showing up will increase playability); they just have to enable a filter.

Any feedback for a mod should be posted on that mod's forum thread. There are links in PAMM to these.
Stuart98
Crusader

Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Stuart98

Postby Deering » 07 Oct 2014, 18:13

Edited Stuart98s post to make link work
Deering
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 41 times
FAF User Name: Deering

Postby Stuart98 » 07 Oct 2014, 23:24

Thanks! :)
Stuart98
Crusader

FAF User Name: Stuart98

Postby Shekelstein » 13 Oct 2014, 23:06

I managed to play PA, deleted it after 2 hours. Any Supreme Commander experience (even the sub-standard SupCom 2) makes you see the amount of things wrong with PA:

RAM-hungry: do not bother playing if you don't have 8GB or more because even a medium-sized map will kill your RAM
Incomplete tech trees: 'nuff said, will take them a few years (hopefully) to finish it
Cartoonish: the colour and polys are killing me, and what kills me more is how could this game suck so much out of my 2GB video card
Not a real campaign: It's a glorified Skirmish without all the nice stuff like picking the map you fight in
Unbalanced: others said it, some units are stupidly OP (eg build 4 anti-space weapons = invincible base from space)
Shekelstein
Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic