PA 2014

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

PA 2014

Postby Combo » 03 Jan 2014, 05:59

Ok, I'm here to ask fellow fans of FA who have played PA... what is your verdict?

I was very skeptical of PA a few months ago, but it does seem to be making progress and with the more recent updates is perhaps starting to look interesting.
Combo

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: theCombo

Re: PA 2014

Postby ZLO_RD » 03 Jan 2014, 06:04

PA lags my PC in menu, lags my PC in lobby, and lags my PC in game, and have shitty UI, only one faction, just spam units on every layer of play............ BUT, i like what i see on casts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb4nxsq6rIE
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Retnut » 03 Jan 2014, 16:06

I haven't played it much, mostly because the gameplay isn't engaging enough to put up with the various issues that come with the game being unfinished. Performance is not [yet?] optimized, the UI is pretty rough, and I'm just not as excited by the results as I was by the initial pitch.

That said, recent updates have been making good progress and the casts make it look fun. It plays more like TA than FA and the scale feels more like TA, too. Everything seems closer together (on any one planet) and at any point in a game it feels like you have fewer viable strategies than you would have in FA. As much as I like TA, I have to say these aspects make PA feel like a step backward compared to FA. And it doesn't help that TA has aged well with community patches and still feels much more polished than PA.
Retnut
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Ze_PilOt » 03 Jan 2014, 23:47

My verdict :

Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby OoshR32 » 14 Jan 2014, 05:27

Come now, AFAIK that doesn't incl. those using the Uber launcher, not to mention you have something of a head start. ;)

PA has a lot of promise, if Uber keep on keeping on that promise will be realised, but only time will tell.
OoshR32
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: OoshR32

Postby Ze_PilOt » 14 Jan 2014, 08:31

I hope they have some guys using the launcher, because right now, it's 2 to 3x less players at any time than FAF.
Actually I've checked, looking inside PA, it's more or less the same with uber stats.

Actually it's so low that steam doesn't display any number most of the time.

For a game that was top of the sells for quite some time, this is disastrous.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby lextoc » 14 Jan 2014, 09:20

In case you're curious how many players are online in other games: this is the top 100 of steam with currently online and peak today

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
I'm watching you!
lextoc
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 227 times
FAF User Name: lextoc

Postby D4E_Omit » 14 Jan 2014, 09:24

It's a fun concept but for now it isn't near playable,

- The round map is cool but making it near impossible to do anything quickly (Micro, making a move to the other side of the planet)

- The mexis give a to big eco IMO, it's near impossible not to overflow 1k metal in a match.

- Once somebody gets a base on a planet, it's pretty much impossible to try take it over.

- Orbital units are boring and too simplified, you need a few clicks to get a giant other planet for a huge mass boost.. (This could be fixed by having to create your own path to the planet)
Those are my downsides I have with the game, the only big thing I still have my hopes up for is the Galactic war mode in the game. But at the rate it's going now that'd be released in 2030...
Sometimes, I just feel like I want to eat pancakes.
D4E_Omit

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: D4E_Omit

Postby OoshR32 » 15 Jan 2014, 05:46

Ze_PilOt wrote:I hope they have some guys using the launcher, because right now, it's 2 to 3x less players at any time than FAF.
Actually I've checked, looking inside PA, it's more or less the same with uber stats.

Actually it's so low that steam doesn't display any number most of the time.

For a game that was top of the sells for quite some time, this is disastrous.
Maybe. But if my circle of RTS playing friends are in any way representative I'd say a lot of people are holding out until it's matured some more.

I've played the most, but even then it's just been a little bit at the start of of Alpha, some more at the start of Beta, and now only when a patch with some interesting additions/changes drop.

If your gaming time is limited then there's just not much point playing atm other than for curiosities sake.
OoshR32
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: OoshR32

Postby Gerfand » 25 Jan 2014, 17:51

PA appers to be cool if you wan't to Blow Planets, while playing TA...
Gerfand

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 7 times

Next

Return to Off-Topic