PA 2014

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: PA 2014

Postby hellboy » 29 Jan 2014, 00:38

Ze_PilOt wrote:I hope they have some guys using the launcher, because right now, it's 2 to 3x less players at any time than FAF.
Actually I've checked, looking inside PA, it's more or less the same with uber stats.

Actually it's so low that steam doesn't display any number most of the time.

For a game that was top of the sells for quite some time, this is disastrous.

Well, Zep, is it really serious to compare the number of players for a non finished game (with still lots of work to be achieved, with missing features) to FAF ?
PA is still in alpha/beta, with lots of missing features and many to be improved.
Not to mention optimization which is not done yet.

Many PA early players just wait for new build, test it and then wait for next build.
Many PA buyers wait for optimizations
Many PA buyers wait for the server side to be released. They just won't play on Uber servers because bandwith is throttled.
Many PA buyers won't play because in the current state there's no balance in place (well they have started to do so).

Basically most of PA buyers are waiting for the final release.

While FAF has managed to gather a nice community after GPGnet has stopped, May i remind you the average number of Supcom / FA online players when GPGnet was still alive ?

The more i play PA, the more i enjoy it. To be honest, after having played PA and got used to it, it's really difficult to go back to a flat map with borders. Feel like playing a board game.
hellboy

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: hellboy

Postby Ze_PilOt » 29 Jan 2014, 15:54

hellboy wrote:Well, Zep, is it really serious to compare the number of players for a non finished game (with still lots of work to be achieved, with missing features) to FAF ?

I'm comparing a 45 dollars game to a 9 dollars game. They sell it. Finished or not, they make money with it like it's released.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby eXcalibur » 29 Jan 2014, 16:36

i think it is much too early to ask this question.

uber entertainment just promised and promises too much and delivers not enough. in general, i am really disappointed of them. i think PA does not deserve the BETA tag, there are just too many placeholders and temporary stuff in the game.

i expect the game to reach a true final and polished state (not just naming) at the earliest in 2 years. hopefully, a lot of community mods will have made the game truly awesome. then, you can ask again.
eXcalibur
Priest

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: eXcalibur

Postby Gerfand » 29 Jan 2014, 17:34

I Bought PA , in the same day I bought FA, just to have the Theta Commader when it Release...

After I instaled Win Seven, I play for the first time and...

it is not like FA, it is a TA w/ spherical maps and last Gen Graphics, so this wil never Replace FA.

also the game is not balance... so unless if you wan't to have the Theta, or help in the Dev of the game, wait until the release...

P.S. why we don't use PA in favor of FAF?
Gerfand

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby hellboy » 29 Jan 2014, 19:40

Ze_PilOt wrote:
hellboy wrote:Well, Zep, is it really serious to compare the number of players for a non finished game (with still lots of work to be achieved, with missing features) to FAF ?

I'm comparing a 45 dollars game to a 9 dollars game. They sell it. Finished or not, they make money with it like it's released.

And so ? This does not make your comparison about the number of current players relevant. otherwise, please elaborate ....
hellboy

FAF User Name: hellboy

Postby Ze_PilOt » 30 Jan 2014, 10:19

hellboy wrote:
Ze_PilOt wrote:

And so ? This does not make your comparison about the number of current players relevant. otherwise, please elaborate ....

Errr, how is it NOT relevant? Both games are released, you can both buy them on steam right now, and they are the same kind of game.

Not my fault if Uber decided to make money by releasing a alpha in early access. Probably a big mistake from their part, now people are judging PA as a released game, because, well, it's released.

Calling it beta won't change the fact that you are spending money to play a game, in my book, it's called selling a game, and you can't sell a game that is not released.

I hate early access in general, and I hope it will kill some games due to bad publicity. That kind of game economic has to die, it's worst than DLC & season pass.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby pip » 30 Jan 2014, 11:47

My thoughts exactly. For me, PA is already dead. It's born dead. The early access thing can only work for games in true beta state (for instance Starbound) and close to release, with just small adjustments to make but overall very solid state (or at least fun to play even in faulty state), not alpha and boring to play because the core game is not finished.
If Uber cannot finish it before the end of this year, I wouldn't care because I don't expect anything from it anymore, despite the fact I had backed the game. And I will never back a Uber kickstarter game ever again. They are amateurs pretending to be pro and the result is a huge delay and bad PR.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby ColonelSheppard » 30 Jan 2014, 12:11

Ze_PilOt wrote: I hate early access in general, and I hope it will kill some games due to bad publicity. That kind of game economic has to die, it's worst than DLC & season pass.

Well it's harsh to say it's a bad idea in general, it's the people's fault if they buy it. If people really are in such a game and want to test it before all others, they may go ahead, but everyone who buy an early acess game and then complains about it beeing unplayable/alpha/bad... well their fault.

It's become a bit perverted i agree but it's surely no bad idea.

pip wrote:And I will never back a Uber kickstarter game ever again.

I know how you feel, for a moment i actually thought that after all that time there would be a new real RTS. Well maybe things become a lot better than you would expect by now.
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Reaper Zwei » 30 Jan 2014, 13:12

I feel like some people are into the whole early release thing while others think it sounds cool but don't realize they're buying into an unfinished product.
Reaper Zwei
Priest

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: Reaper_Zwei

Postby naginacz » 30 Jan 2014, 13:42

hello all .
I created an account to post in this topic .
I am a fan of TA , SC, FA, and finally the FAF .
I'm not a fan of CS2 :)

In my opinion, the above written a few things regarding the PA , which is not fair, but quite understandable from my point of view .
I remember when I first heard about PA , I played a lot of FAF in this time. I was not happy because of this , I thought that the PA receives players from the FAF . At that time, the servers FAF was evening about 600 players ( I played around 8PM - UTC +1:00 ) .
600 players it was not much but enough. Reducing this number could mean the end of the FAF . I had hoped that the PA will die before it will be created.
Expired less than one year .
The whole time I was interested in the PA , even though I was very skeptical . After some time I decided to buy early access.

Here's what I think now :
FA it was a breakthrough . Unfortunately for me the FA never had the climate of TA . Do not say that the game was worse . Absolutely not . Simply although I played in the FA always something I missed . I do not want to go into details , although I have a few theories. It does not matter now .
After playing around 250 games in PA, I can definitely say that this game has a climate TA . Of course , now we are working on balance and many things can be destroyed . However, I think that UBER has a clearly defined goal , and he knows what aims .

For me, the PA is amazing. Round planet and the possibility to fight on several planets with 60 + players it is quite a new experience . So far I've played in a game with 37 players and despite the lack of optimization it was pretty smooth .
it is not true that the PA is to "just spam units on every layer of play" . Only the fact that the game takes on a round , a randomly generated planet , dramatically increases the possibility of tactical / strategic . Please note that currently are creating new units . To date, only the basic units exists.

What am I going?
I think that the FAF is a wonderful game. I have it installed on my computer and I do not intend to change that. Some time ago I saw on the FAF 750 players what makes me happy.
but ...
For me, the PA is much better. Much more has a unique atmosphere from Total Annihilation.
After I experienced the game on round planets, I can not get back to the flat maps.
I love the fact that T1 units are built from the beginning until the last minute of the game. I like that I often play, having 1000 + units, although this is only a beta and will be a lot better (maybe 20k + units').
I like that Pa did not have as many ninja tricks and super gameenders. I like finally random maps.
That is my personal opinion. I based it on hundreds of games and my personal preferences. Do not fight me if you think different, because I do not I fight with you.
Better we will fight with Starcraft and his micro-management style of game :). This is the true opposite of a strategic way of thinking of the FAF and PA.

Maybe Cris Taylor will create TA2 in the future. Then again, I will be apprehensive about the community of my game. And maybe eventually I'll buy his game if he will do a good job;)

Be lenient with my grammar :)
naginacz

FAF User Name: naginacz

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic