Want to Make a RTS...

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Want to Make a RTS...

Postby Gerfand » 15 Nov 2013, 01:33

As the Tittle suggest, I want to make a RTS, F2P, but I don't know what engine to use.

I want to make something like EPIC battles, TA-Like Eco, just to make people from my country stop playing StarCraft, and some others RTT, and start to play RRTS.

I am Thinking about use SpringRTS engine, but I don't know if this is the best Free Engine.
Gerfand

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Want to Make a RTS...

Postby Ze_PilOt » 15 Nov 2013, 10:08

It's the only open sourced RTS engine.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Gerfand » 15 Nov 2013, 14:34

THX
Gerfand

Postby necxelos » 18 Feb 2014, 06:12

Unity - Available for free if You don't make Your work commercial!
Unreal Engine - Same story as above.

As for what You REALLY should do is use SFML or SDL over C++ core and just encase it in libraries when You need them. Sticking to premade engine is very risky because when You want some option which isn't present there You are forced to do workarounds which are 10 times harder then making Your own features from the very beginning.

Oh and btw. before You start something serious I suggest creating a prototype in some higher level language (Python with Pygame-like library [Pygame itself sucks] or Lua with Love [Yes, I know how it sounds, I didn't invent this name] or Java [don't know what libraries are there - You must check Yourself]). Profits of creating prototype in higher level language are obvious - You can have working RTS game core (with sucky animations, zero balance and zero optimization) to test Your ideas in a week or even less if You are fluent with language You use.

P.S. Superior research skills again:
- http://glest.org/en/index.php
- http://fifengine.net/
And before my hand dies from copy-pasting whole google here I'll just give You this:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines
Search for a keyword RTS and You'll find a lot engines. I still advise not to use premade engine though.
Supreme Commander FAF, Supreme Commander 2 RVE, Planetary Annihilation: Titans - those are only good RTS games left!
necxelos

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: necxelos

Postby Gerfand » 26 Feb 2014, 23:55

I will use Spring when it is already TA style... the only thing that I need to do now is start to work in my game
Gerfand

Return to Off-Topic