Call for a web based platform

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Call for a web based platform

Postby dstojkov » 22 Oct 2017, 18:06

hi,

After some proxy rework the server is again accessible on this URL

http://lobby.gpgunleashed.net/lobby_beta/index.html

Regards

P.S: will resume soon the work on the lobby. Stay tuned ;-)
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby dstojkov » 26 Oct 2017, 16:56

Hi,

I am experimenting tun/tap interface to connect players in a virtual private network per game
I will need ppl for testing soon

Regards
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby dstojkov » 08 Nov 2017, 02:33

Hi,

After lot of reading I finally came up with a running test server.

I configured a general client directory so that everyone can test it.

the aim is to test it asap with at least 3 players

I should have go straight to VPN solution it would have simplified my lobby a lot ! :|

Regards
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby Downlord » 08 Nov 2017, 11:34

Hey Dstojkov,

Respect for your never-ending efforts. But I'll be honest with you now and you might not like it.

I wonder when the time comes where you admit to yourself that this project is a pure waste of time? I mean seriously, how can you not see that nobody cares about that thing you are building? Why would anyone want to switch over from a system with up to 1000 players every day and that is years worth of development ahead of where you are now, over to your new system that doesn't even provide the most basic features yet, that has 0 users and will likely never have any?

Why do you think that 10'000 players - who are already struggling to find good games fast enough because there aren't enough players - decide to move to a system with any less than 10'000 players? A system that lacks so many features? A system that has so many problems that the existing one already solved?

Why don't you realize, that you will never, ever be able to catch up with what FAF provides and thus people will never, ever use your system?

If you really think that your system is ever going to provide value to anyone but yourself, then I fear about your sense of reality.

Wouldn't you rather want to build things that are useful to people? Things they enjoy? Things that don't just waste your precious time for nothing? If so, why don't you just join our team and work with us? We'd love to get your help.

But if I'm getting this all wrong and you're just doing it for yourself, knowing that nobody will ever use it but just because you enjoy doing it. Well then, go ahead but I suggest to stop posting here. It looks very pitiful.
Working on FAF is my passion. Most of you know me for the feature-rich Downlord's FAF Client, but I also program and maintain the FAF server. Visit my Patreon page to get some insights on my work.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 213 times
FAF User Name: Downlord

Postby jackherer » 08 Nov 2017, 12:55

Downlord wrote:Wouldn't you rather want to build things that are useful to people? Things they enjoy? Things that don't just waste your precious time for nothing? If so, why don't you just join our team and work with us? We'd love to get your help.

But if I'm getting this all wrong and you're just doing it for yourself, knowing that nobody will ever use it but just because you enjoy doing it. Well then, go ahead but I suggest to stop posting here. It looks very pitiful.

First of all you have any idea of how many people give up working with you guys? How many good will you discourage?

How much you guys miss a leader and a big picture vision? How it just looks like some kids coding their own little project and not giving a shit about what is really needed and about the players.

Why would anyone want to waste their time and code on a dying project that have more regress than improve since Sheoo's coup d’état (2 or 3 years ago if my memory is good...) And who end up with visionik spending his money to allow everyone to keep playing on Zep work.

The only improvement i can see is coop by Speed and server stability. All the rest was working same or better on Zep time.

So tell me concretely what have you guys build that was really usefull to the player? What real decisions have been taken to make faf expend and not regress?

I'm pretty happy faf isnt handle by Zep anymore who was like Trump, abe to push the nuclear button at any moment because he wasnt happy. I'm happy it became more open, but i'm not sure that "the open driven community project" being control by 4 nerd is a better thing than being control by Zep.

So yes we can thank big time Visionik, because if we had to wait for a rebuild from scratch like it was about to happen without Visionik help, we will probably all be playing on dstojkov lobby. His persistence and good will to make an alternative deserve at least respect, specialy from someone in charge ...

To finish, you say to him that he is welcome to work with you to join the "team" but that posting his work here is pitiful...

Like always faf "leaders" knows how to speak to people and discourage them spending time for faf ...
jackherer

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Jackherer

Postby PhilipJFry » 08 Nov 2017, 13:14

dstojkov isn't spending time on faf imo; he only jumps into aeolus on a regular basis and posts updates on his project here on the forum
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby jackherer » 08 Nov 2017, 13:48

I didn't say he was spending anytime on faf... I'm saying that if you want someone to come spend his time on the project you handle (FAF), saying his actual project is shit and pitiless isnt the way ...
jackherer

Postby speed2 » 08 Nov 2017, 13:56

jackherer wrote:The only improvement i can see is coop by Speed and server stability. All the rest was working same or better on Zep time.

So tell me concretely what have you guys build that was really usefull to the player?

I guess it would be good to point out that the coop in current state would not be possible under Zep. It was buggy, based on old patch, breaking more and more every patch (to the point where it stopped working completelly).

I've built the coop on Cris' Kitching's new and clean impentation where code made sence and with no no dirty buggy hacks. And then Downlord was the one who spent 2 days with me debugging it on the server to make it work and possible to update in a sane amout of time in the future.

So there is a lot of work being done in the background you don't see when you just play the game.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby jackherer » 08 Nov 2017, 14:25

Yes i'm very aware of that background work. And that Downlord has spend an incredible amount of his time fixing shit that the situation would be terrible without him. (i have nothing against him and we would need 10 Downloard)
But the result is still the same, Coop is the only thing we didnt had at Zep time. Even if GW and other stuff was full of hack and not proprely written, that is not an issue for the players.

If you lead a project you need a global vision, it's not only how good you are at coding and fixing shit.
But how good you are at making ppl work togeather and getting involved in the project.
jackherer

Postby dstojkov » 08 Nov 2017, 14:32

Hey downlord

Thx for the feedback if you think my lobby lack of features then go ahead I will implement it

Till now my lobby was lacking in providing a failsave solution when ppl couln t connect togheter. FAF solved this with a proxy. On this topic I ll provide a vpn which is once again a step ahead in solving this issue :geek:

And ... tbh a lot of ppl complain about the faf's advanced features you mentioned but you .. still managed to find some time to write here ! If you just could be more focus on what I can do better it would be great :D

Regards
dstojkov
Evaluator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic