Asteroid Annihilation.

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Asteroid Annihilation.

Postby Ze_PilOt » 15 Jun 2013, 22:32

Swkoll wrote:Supcom scale at vanilla release wasn't very good let alone Supcom in alpha. Scale was way too big and boring. I don't think we should judge PA until release on scale.

Again, you are talking of gameplay. I'm talking of visual feeling (and for me it's almost as important).

The only thing that changed was the unit speed. Not the unit size of the map size.

And they have a massive size problem : the battleship wouldn't stand straight on land (because it's bigger than the curvature of the planet). It look dumb.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Kamicase » 16 Jun 2013, 00:20

To be honest I wouldn't actually mind them scaling everything down a little bit.
Sure it would take units longer to get places but considering that we're talking about raging battles on multiple planets at some point it couldn't hurt to slow the entire thing down a bit. I mean we're talking about building and directing a massive warmachine, it would make sense that Macro becomes the more important aspect.
Kamicase
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Kamicase

Postby rootbeer23 » 16 Jun 2013, 00:59

you can play a quick 1v1 on a 40km planet with the surface area of betrayal ocean. just dont put any resource points outside
a circle with 5000 meters diameter, which gives you an area equal to a 5x5 map and there will be no reason to expand away from your start location (in fact, such an expansion would cost you the victory, given that you spend tanks on conquering nothing of value). then 249/250th of the planet will be there just for realism, and it will feel real big.
add a bit of cheating and tell nobody that there is really nothing being simulated under the fog of war and there you are.
since the terrain is generated algorithmically, you dont even have to have the whole surface area generated, until a unit comes close to the fog of war.
after all, if you were an alien invader and wanted to level london, you wouldnt materialize in melbourne.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby Nombringer » 16 Jun 2013, 01:23

I always assumed the trailer was just some very artistic interpretation, seems I was wrong :L
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Postby ColonelSheppard » 16 Jun 2013, 03:09

We may as well expect the worst....
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby rkrempel » 16 Jun 2013, 09:51

ColonelSheppard wrote:We may as well expect the worst....

Which is: We'll need a FA mod for PA. ?
rkrempel
Contributor

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: rkrempel

Postby Ze_PilOt » 16 Jun 2013, 10:34

rootbeer23 wrote:you can play a quick 1v1 on a 40km planet with the surface area of betrayal ocean. just dont put any resource points outside
a circle with 5000 meters diameter, which gives you an area equal to a 5x5 map and there will be no reason to expand away from your start location (in fact, such an expansion would cost you the victory, given that you spend tanks on conquering nothing of value). then 249/250th of the planet will be there just for realism, and it will feel real big.
add a bit of cheating and tell nobody that there is really nothing being simulated under the fog of war and there you are.
since the terrain is generated algorithmically, you dont even have to have the whole surface area generated, until a unit comes close to the fog of war.
after all, if you were an alien invader and wanted to level london, you wouldnt materialize in melbourne.

That would be a elegant solution, but it kind of kill their planet gimmick :)
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby rootbeer23 » 16 Jun 2013, 10:55

Ze_PilOt wrote:That would be a elegant solution, but it kind of kill their planet gimmick :)

well what can i say. i was expecting exactly this reply.
you got your flat maps, fanboys get their asteroids, and both will have crashing asteroids and cool shadows
from revolving around a star (not to scale).
all are happy, and now you want back gimmick over gameplay. :roll:
anyway, i dont think they will even implement resources localized instead of distributed on the surface, let alone lazy generation, because i share the pessimism. but the concept can work.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby Ze_PilOt » 16 Jun 2013, 11:00

I'm just saying that it has very little chance to be in BECAUSE it kill their planet gimmick.

I do not care at all. The game could play on a flat single map, as long as strategy wise you have tons of options, I do not care.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby LittleInferno » 16 Jun 2013, 22:43

rtr.PNG
rtr.PNG (658.34 KiB) Viewed 3139 times
I have to agreed with zep ,i don´t no iff PA smart guys notice but .
For now playing on PA you don´t feel good, mybe in future they try fix the scale , but honastly i don´t now how ,play on a sphere not the best fun on this rts .
The idea off game is fantastic but we need a clean and plane field to take all the fun.
LittleInferno
Banned

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Katherine

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic