Gaming/Life/Work balance

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Gaming/Life/Work balance

Postby Eukanuba » 28 Mar 2013, 13:45

Sunny wrote:Hello, folks!

Recently, I came back to playing FA after like 4 years not playing at all.

And I feel some interesting thing.

OR I play too much (20+ games a day), I'm glad and happy OR I play like 3 games and feel somewhat unsatisfied.
In 1st scenario, my wife is somewhat unsattisfied, and I'm happy, my boss still doesn't feel the difference.
In 2nd scenario, I'm not happy.

How do you solve this?

Tips, tricks, strategies...

Monkeylord rush?
Eukanuba
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Eukanuba

Postby discoverer2k4 » 28 Mar 2013, 14:47

well ... if your free time with your wife don't satisfy you than you should maybe work on that ;) ...

your real life > gaming = I can win against you in 1on1 finally :) so... you know what to do ...

on the other hand ... I'm in a similar situation: 2-3 times sport during the week, girlfriend, work, family and so on. I except it like it is ... the time I have for playing games is really rare, so the time should be as satisfying as it could be ... playing 1on1s is the best solution for me but having some 3-4 friends for funny team games or ffa is very good as well :) and I except the case, that I will never be a pro and it'll take ages to get a rank of ~1600 (currently its ~1450).

My experience of playing too much computer games is that everything else suffers. I have some friends who lost their wife to another guy because of wasting time in front of the computer and me as well lost a girlfriend some years ago (played 6 hours the day counterstrike source) ;)
The problem is people in our environment still don't think e-gaming is the same like sport or other hobbys. They see intensive e-gaming as a kind of sickness (an addiction) but if you got 7 times the week into the gym your are a hero... I think this opinion about e-gaming will change, but it will take maybe some more years (10 to 20).

Well but really... you should think about your long time goals and prioritize them as you think its good...
ranking :
~1500 global / ~1100 ladder
~1100 games / ~ 400 games
discoverer2k4
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: discoverer2k4

Postby ZLO_RD » 28 Mar 2013, 15:20

the problem that he said he is not happy, almost as well as i am...
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Eukanuba » 28 Mar 2013, 15:29

Serious answer time. I'm the sort of person that needs to have an addiction of some sort. I'm trying very hard to get addicted to some healthier pursuits (tai chi, learning to program) but at the moment SupCom fills that requirement. It's certainly better than taking too many drugs.

If you think that you have a similar addictive personality, then my best suggestion would be to try to find something that you and your lady can both get enthusiastic about and do that together.

And remember, one quick game of 1v1 is never enough. Just say no, kids! :D
Eukanuba
Priest

FAF User Name: Eukanuba

Postby rxnnxs » 05 Apr 2013, 22:00

But also, i need this gaming for balance. my wife is going to the "gym" 4 to 5 days a week. i need this time on the pc.
many times i read about what is going wrong in the world and i am getting ready for the final countdown.
and then, if i have nt spend my spare time with reading, i start up FAF.
and then... one or two or three. just a quickie... and if the night comes, setons or whatever is open for casuals like me...
rxnnxs
Priest

Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: rxnnxs

Postby Sunny » 17 Apr 2013, 00:37

I actually read some real good reasoning here...

And, yes, I'm a very addictive sort of person.
Sunny

Has liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Sunny

Postby Flynn » 04 Mar 2014, 17:26

I always end up feeling unfulfilled and very angry when I lose game after game on SupCom. The worst feeling is losing more than three games in a row, staying up late and knowing you have work in the morning. I normally close FAF at ten the latest if I have stuff to do the next day...earlier if I am on a losing streak. It just feels so sad when you are getting ever more wound up into the night, tired, angry, there is nothing good that will come of it. Luckily if I am having a bad session (most of the time) I quit early and get to bed.

ZLO_RD wrote:the problem that he said he is not happy, almost as well as i am...

What do you mean by this, Zlord? I know you spent a year in the Russian army (the same army that is in Ukraine). Hope your Dedovshchina was not too traumatic. I have seen you on your casts, you are still a boy. Can't imagine how you would cope with the older soldiers advances, you know what I mean ;) It's okay to talk about it, we are your friends :)
Last edited by Flynn on 09 Mar 2014, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
Flynn
Evaluator

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Flynn

Postby AdmiralZeech » 08 Mar 2014, 15:21

Obviously, you have to prioritise Real Life, Games, and Work all very highly.

All you need to do is sacrifice Sleep :P
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Been liked: 62 times

Postby Voodoo » 08 Mar 2014, 16:05

I balance my real life with the android irc app :)
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby Nombringer » 08 Mar 2014, 23:45

Voodoo wrote:I balance my real life with the android irc app :)

Pish, your irc hours are nothing compared to mine...

Fucking casual ;)
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Previous

Return to Off-Topic