Old games

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Old games

Postby Adraius » 16 Sep 2012, 05:14

Myrdral wrote:Rise of Nations - 2002? RTS with some similarities to supcom with units ranging from hoplites to slightly future tech. Feels like a RTS version of Civilization at times.

This. Timeless fun.
Myrdral wrote:Eve Online - Travelling through the immense universe was sometimes tedious, but you could carve out a home for yourself in a few systems and really work with a lot of other people to accomplish your goals. Interesting real time skill level increases rather than grinding. The only way to grind for faster skillups afaik was to farm for implants to increase your real time skillup rate. Economy and crafting were quite good. Combat was super technical. Fleet tactics were nearly boundless. Enjoyable by yourself or with hundreds of others. However, this game like others is not for everyone. Very niche imo.

Used to play it, and really wish I still could. Unique, niche, completely unsurpassed.
Adraius

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Adraius

Postby Casimus » 01 Oct 2012, 20:04

ColonelSheppard wrote:Freelancer - cause there has never been a game like this again :)
I loved Freelancer, there is still a server up for it. Really great great game. I wish they would make another I would buy it in an instant.
Casimus
Banned

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 23 times
FAF User Name: SN_CASIMITSU

Postby Casimus » 01 Oct 2012, 20:11

I loved both Fallout's but if were talking about olllld games there are some that need a mention.

Dungeon Master - Old Amiga game, totally epic I loved it.
Millenium - First space type strategy I ever played also epic, there was a sequel but the name eludes me.
Centurion - Very old but a very early ROME type game.

but, for anyone who remembers this, it is and still is the greatest single player game that has ever existed IMO,

X-COM Enemy Unknown - I still play it occasionally now, was called UFO Enemy Unknown way back when on PC but the graphics are terrible, Playstation version updated the graphics and it was amazing.

There was work on a remake but im not sure it will even actually come out.
Casimus
Banned

Postby Ze_PilOt » 01 Oct 2012, 20:27

in 15 days..
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Adraius » 03 Oct 2012, 05:16

Casimus wrote:X-COM Enemy Unknown - I still play it occasionally now, was called UFO Enemy Unknown way back when on PC but the graphics are terrible, Playstation version updated the graphics and it was amazing.

There was work on a remake but im not sure it will even actually come out.

I object to the comment on the graphics but agree that it was amazing and still worth playing. And the remake is coming out Oct. 9th, 2012 - in like a week! Get in the game man! :D

It's changing some of the best things about the original, but is introducing a lot of new cool stuff as well, so it's definitely worth checking out. It you want a more faithful remake, check out Xenonauts, a more faithful indie remake that will probably be coming out Nov./Dec.

P.S. Oct. 9 US, Oct. 12 internationally
Adraius

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Adraius

Postby Gowerly » 04 Oct 2012, 19:00

Tetrinet (check it out)
Globalsiege.org (it's RISK multiplayer)
Toribash (another free online game)
some Total Annihilation occasionally
Gowerly
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Gowerly

Postby Casimus » 22 Oct 2012, 19:26

Somewhat ironic that I post about X-Com and a few weeks later bam another remake is out. I know about Xenonauts but I knew nothing about this one.

Anyway needless to say I got it straight away and I like it, its a little buggy but a really nice remake of a cult classic.

I love the fact that it tips its hat to the original, whenever you test a new weapon check the target out, its the graphics from the PS1 version, I really love the fact they did that.

As for the game I like some of the new aspects although perhaps its me some things don't quite work as they should. Has anyone else had issues with PSI and the freedom to do what you want?? I have been taking over minds so I can stun them or kill them but I cant touch them (other than a grenade) whilst they are on my side??

Has anyone played online, I cant imagine what that will be like??

I was skeptical about this given the disasters of UFO Aftermath et al, but im really happy with this, would just like a tiny bit more depth and freedom and I will be even more satisfied.
Casimus
Banned

Postby ZLO_RD » 23 Oct 2012, 21:31

warzone 2100. RTS. Many units. Good intel system. Arty using. People steel play it in multiplayer. Interesting, long campaing with map opening by sectors, but without thet shit when you leave one t1 factory to enemy making 200 nukes then expand the map...
Also it force you play campaing without losses. Great unit ai, units can push each other. Production and repairing can be automatic. You have a command units. Drop missios - take 10 units and fly far avay, you usually protect your drop place and receve reinforcements. Your enemy in campaing is computer virus. Veteranicy stores whole campaing 400 kills tanks for example and 2500 kills commanders. And again intel systems + arty. Also building and constructing goes almost like in fa. For example there are exist a radar that calculate traectory of enemy arty bullets and finding out it position and making your arty strike back automaticly. Flametrowers. Air units exist, have to reload long time in special buldings. Really different tipes of weapon- anty infantry, anty bunke, anty tank, anty air. You have to proect new unit by yourself... Oh got that game was so great...
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby MasterMind » 31 Oct 2012, 16:36

Stin wrote:I would love a new Xwing vs Tie Fighter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtznQyEfJQc

It was great fun.

Lovedddd this game!! Classic
MasterMind
Crusader

FAF User Name: MasterMind

Postby MasterMind » 31 Oct 2012, 16:51

Plasma_Wolf wrote:Which old game would you like to play again right now, or are you currently playing? Just forward one game per post (no double posting) and give the reason why (bit of explaining or add a vid).

I'm posting this from my phone so I cannot include vids at the moment but a few of personal favorites that I'd like to play again are:

Total Annihilation -- (reasons should be obvious)

Unreal Tournament (ut99) -- still to this day, my favorite FPS game of all time. Nothing has ever compared in online team play, for me, as this game. The game is super fast paced, and instagib CTF was my favorite mode by far. Clanned for a long time with this game, and held onto the #1 spot in team ladders for a very long time. I probably would have never stopped playin this game if it wasn't for all the cheaters who ruined it for everyone. I was actually thinking about reinstalling this again last week, and see who might still be around playing it. Anyone else play this game, or used to?? I actually got first introduced to this game, by fellow TA players at the time.

There are several others for me, a bunch of which have already been mentioned by other members though.
MasterMind
Crusader

FAF User Name: MasterMind

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic