Starting FA's engine from scratch

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Starting FA's engine from scratch

Postby dstojkov » 21 Mar 2019, 10:57

Hi,

I just discovered godot engine, an open source project. We could try to port FA on it.

Like every project we need a little prototype for starting with then improve it.

The good part ... There is no balance ... and thus by far the best starting point ever !!! :D

When do we begin :twisted:
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Starting FA's engine from scratch

Postby biass » 21 Mar 2019, 12:18

idk, when you start i suppose

godot is pretty cool tho, for those who didnt know: https://youtu.be/IPCv6F-IgXU
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Geosearchef » 21 Mar 2019, 14:28

The main issue here isn't the engine. It's finding a team working on it. What do you expecr to achieve in the end?

You don't just need coders, if it were that easy, I would have rewritten it myself. (see kirella on geosearchef.de, my own rts based on my own engine)

Also, just picking one engine isn't gonna cut it. From reading some articles about FA's rendering I can tell you that you'd probably want to write an engine specifically for that purpose from scratch. The biggedt issue is probably the networking behind it/determinstic simulation and Pathfinding.

And in the end the question remains, will what you achieve actually be better than FA? Or will it not be FA and pelple won't play it due to gameplay?
Developer, Server Admin, ICE, currently working on Team Matchmaking, FAF Client
Geosearchef
Contributor

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 127 times
FAF User Name: Geosearchef

Postby dstojkov » 25 Mar 2019, 03:12

Geosearchef wrote:The main issue here isn't the engine.

Actually it is. We need a common tool to work with. This engine is open source means bugs will be fixed and we can ask for feature to implemented

Geosearchef wrote:finding a team working on it.

Why do you think I opened this thread ?

Geosearchef wrote:What do you expect to achieve in the end?

I can not say what it will be at the very end. For now, a proof of concept shall be a good start
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby BlackYps » 25 Mar 2019, 14:44

I think you need a clear vision what you want to achieve. Otherwise you won't find much support.

Geosearchef said it well:
Geosearchef wrote:And in the end the question remains, will what you achieve actually be better than FA?
BlackYps

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby AdmiralZeech » 25 Mar 2019, 16:01

You're probably better off doing it in Spring RTS. It's much closer to the final result than Godot is.

We don't even know if Godot can support so many units ingame. It's well known to have low performance when it comes to having many entities.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Morax » 30 Mar 2019, 15:22

I got some pretty nifty 3d modeling skills if this ever gets serious.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby AdmiralZeech » 31 Mar 2019, 20:33

Actually, one interesting test would be to export a large map, skybox and some units from FA into a regular model format.

It would be interesting to just drop them into godot as pure models and see how well it renders them without LOD and how it looks in the renderer, especially now godot 3.1 is out.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Postby dstojkov » 01 Apr 2019, 04:12

AdmiralZeech wrote:Actually, one interesting test would be to export a large map, skybox and some units from FA into a regular model format.

It would be interesting to just drop them into godot as pure models and see how well it renders them without LOD and how it looks in the renderer, especially now godot 3.1 is out.

Belive it or not this is exactly what I was thinking of with the prototype. Just import some stuff see what the engine can do and eventually what it can not to make up our mind.

Even though it might be missing some part in the engine features don't mean the project idea is dead. We might ask the community for an eta of features we would like to have.

It may sound too optimistic but hey we need to kept the faith 8-)

Regards
dstojkov
Evaluator

Return to Off-Topic