Unity 2018 - Engine Demo and multithreading performance

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Unity 2018 - Engine Demo and multithreading performance

Postby Franck83 » 25 Jan 2018, 11:31

It seems that Unity reach a strong amount of realism in this demo :

Shaders and post processing improved.

News about graphic engine and multhreading performance increase:

C# Job System - A New Coding System That Unlocks Major Performance Increases - The C# Job System is a new high-performance multithreaded system that makes it possible to take advantage of multi-core processors without the heavy programming headache. Combined with a new programming model (Entity Component System), it enables developers to optimize creations for major increases in performance. Developers can add more effects and complexity to their games, or use that horsepower to add complex AI, to make rich worlds that immerse gamers.

It seems that the technology behind nitro engine (ashes of singularity) is now matched in unity 2018 engine.

A 32000 (up to 100 000 !) units fight and fast zoom level. Who can say unity is not suited for a supcom engine remake ?

Alliance of Heroes Mod is out ! Try it ! It's in the Mod Vault !
Franck83
Evaluator

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 122 times
FAF User Name: Franck83

Re: Unity 2018 - Engine Demo and multithreading performance

Postby Katharsas » 28 Jan 2018, 15:09

I like Unity, but this "news" is 100% marketing bullshit speak. But nice to know that Unity can finally use more than one logic thread in 2018. About 5 years later than probably any other engine, but hey better late than never.

Edit: those videos didnt show up when looked at this post first, but they now do, wtf.
Katharsas

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 34 times
FAF User Name: Katharsas

Postby ozonex » 02 Feb 2018, 18:27

Katharsas wrote:I like Unity, but this "news" is 100% marketing bullshit speak. But nice to know that Unity can finally use more than one logic thread in 2018. About 5 years later than probably any other engine, but hey better late than never.

True, nothing of what is presented here actually works, and nobody knows when it will be done (maybe in 1-2 years) :D
Nothing from technical demos was ever useful. They done everything just for video and presentation, not for use by developers. Remember first Adam demo? Everything from it (lights, efects etc.) goes to trash :D We tried to use something from that, but it was too poorly made and way too slow. Easier was to made similar effects by ourself.

About multithreading there are some ways to make multithreaded code, but you can't use Unity internal functions in it. But if you have your own CPU heavy calculations then you can just create other thread and do it there. I have done that in few games and it works well.
FAF Map Editor Alpha v0.605 > Get it now!
ozonex
Priest

Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 263 times
FAF User Name: ozonex

Postby Franck83 » 03 Feb 2018, 09:03

The CTO in the video said in 2018.1. Now, It's still in beta. Hope the wait will not be too long :roll: . It's will be huge improv, otherwise 1-2 year of wait still worth it.
Alliance of Heroes Mod is out ! Try it ! It's in the Mod Vault !
Franck83
Evaluator

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 122 times
FAF User Name: Franck83

Postby Katharsas » 04 Feb 2018, 01:13

ozonex wrote:
Katharsas wrote:About multithreading there are some ways to make multithreaded code, but you can't use Unity internal functions in it. But if you have your own CPU heavy calculations then you can just create other thread and do it there. I have done that in few games and it works well.

Oh okay, well i misunderstood this then. That's fine then i guess, and the new stuff is probably about their internal threads.
Katharsas

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 34 times
FAF User Name: Katharsas

Return to Off-Topic