SupComSoft

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

SupComSoft

Postby Softly » 09 Mar 2017, 00:51

After a bunch of great suggestions I decided the new community name should be SupComSoft.

So what do I actually have, what do I actually want, and what am I actually doing?

1) What do I actually have?

So far I've got some basic client code for chatting and playing games. Supported chats right now are IRC only (although you can join any number of IRC servers, I'll make it easy to get into aeolus), although I'd like to add in some discord support in the future. The way the client is made will make that pretty straight forward, just need the time to do it :)

2) What do I actually want?

New community, new everything, most things aren't decided yet so there's not much to say here. If people have any questions on specific things let me know in the replies, I'll do my best to answer.

One main thing I'd like though is to keep some close ties with FAF, I might be setting up competition but I want to do it in an amicable way. No reason why we can't have code sharing, players playing in both communities, and devs from each side contributing to the other (like I was today).

3) What actually am I doing?

Right now I am working on the networking code for connecting two clients together for an FA match. I've also got some weeks away coming up, so there probably won't be so much news until the start of next month. I've already got a little bit of the api code on github if people are interested (link at the bottom), although most of the work is in the client and its not in a releasable state.

I'll keep an eye on this thread though if people have comments or questions :)

Link to some api code: https://github.com/HardlySoftly/api
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Re: SupComSoft

Postby FtXCommando » 09 Mar 2017, 03:16

Whether I agree with what you're doing or not, I wish you luck with your endeavors Softly. I trust in your judgement (and maturity) and expect that you don't plan on harming the overall community of FA. I can't wait to see what kind of progress you'll be able to make. Hopefully it will lead to changes that will create a better experience for all players.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby ZeRen » 09 Mar 2017, 19:54

suggestion for your lobby - teamgame match maker ;) for ranked games

GL
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby Softly » 08 Apr 2017, 10:53

Have had a good month of progress on this.

Connection code is coming along nicely now, the solution I've gone with is to proxy all traffic via servers over TCP. The advantage is that there is never ever any NAT problems (or at least, if you can't get TCP past your router then you have bigger problems than not being able to play FA). On the flipside it may be more computationally expensive for the servers.

Still a couple of months work to make an alpha release, but I see the major technical challenges at this point as mostly solved. Most of the work is just grinding out some of the fluffy padding code (like more css for the client) and also turning my source into a .exe that everyone can run.

However I've also decided I am gonna give this project a break for now, maybe come back in 6 months to pick it back up again. See you all then maybe, I've asked Jeremy to watch over you in the meantime :)
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Return to Off-Topic