Split offtopic

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Split offtopic

Postby dstojkov » 23 Feb 2017, 16:05

[EDIT: Gorton
This topic was split off from softly's topic]
Ok time to prune this into a separate discussion which may or may not then get axed

Morax wrote:Competitive players: How do you plan to get more people to join than FAF? Advertisement and promotion plans?

I can't believe what i reading here ....

Let me resume if you mind

You meet a pretty good looking girl you date her you fall in love with her but yeah shit happens since it always happen you had to leave the country for some time.

You finally come back happy to see the girl you used to date have fun etc ... but yeah the one is not the same anymore ... When you left she began to drink smoke coke etc .... Then people begin to ask you why you won't meet her anymore

Obvious will you say ... she not the SAME !!!

Now you re collecting the fruit of your labor. The balance camaign nerf destroyed the game and you still asking why people don't play anymore the one game that they could not quit so good it was, even why new people don't even wanna try

Well it is not appealing it is not fun it becomes too main stream

Well done
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Been writing some code

Postby Gorton » 23 Feb 2017, 17:19

I mean this is the off-topic forum, but.

Can you say something that makes sense? And relevant to the conversation?
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby Downlord » 23 Feb 2017, 17:41

I have a question for dstojkov. When did you start with your web-based lobby? And how many users are playing there on a daily basis?

I wonder how Softly's solution is going to compare to it. Oh and btw, Softly, I did not do the same, I built something for the existing community into the existing ecosystem.
Working on FAF is my passion. Most of you know me for the feature-rich Downlord's FAF Client, but I also program and maintain the FAF server. Visit my Patreon page to get some insights on my work.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 213 times
FAF User Name: Downlord

Postby dstojkov » 23 Feb 2017, 18:14

Downlord wrote:, I built something for the existing community into the existing ecosystem

Dude ... you eco system is heading forward to collapse in the case you didn't notice it yet: the player base issue remember ?

So instead of enforcing a dying one because well you build a system for and only for a little part of the community want it to be ( the ones who decide the fate of all others ) not like other possible user want it to be and this is what happen when you lacking in diversity. Basically you disappear

So, indeed, alternative solution is the ONLY path that could save us all as community. I hope it is clear now, it is not personal but this is the main reason ppl don't want to contribute. For what actually ? NOTHING will really change

look after all this year you should have bring together the steam community with the faf's one guess why this doesn't happen and will never happen ?
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby Downlord » 23 Feb 2017, 18:21

Oh, right, and your solutions will solve the (imaginary) "player base issue" within what.. weeks? months? years? Because this 10y old game becomes more popular by the day?
And what makes you say that the, idk., 10-20 people we have working on all parts of the projects, don't want to contribute?
And do you honestly think your "alternative solutions" (of which btw. we'll have two) will have more than that? That people will be jumping on them to contribute?

How long did you say did it take you to build your (still incomplete) web-based lobby, and how many players does it have? Sorry, I wasn't able to find the answer in your post.

Seriously. Face reality.
Working on FAF is my passion. Most of you know me for the feature-rich Downlord's FAF Client, but I also program and maintain the FAF server. Visit my Patreon page to get some insights on my work.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Postby biass » 23 Feb 2017, 18:27

Morax wrote:2) Maps: Unless a new editor is developed that makes the process much MUCH more easy I don't think we will ever see any high-quality maps made for us to play. I have been trying to make a map in my limited spare time which has lead to me learning how to dodge editor crashes and bugs more than anything. Granted I'm having a lot more trouble than the norm, not many people are willing to put up with learning it like myself and others. The map vault is getting kind of dry with content and many players are not really willing to learn new ones like Tokyto's phenomenal "Funeral Plains." The community has so many Gap, Thermopylae, etc type players it's kind of a loss to try and improve here. You would have to somehow improve the taste in game-style of the population for me to feel your option would be better here.

Yeah people spend tens/hundreds of hours with little to no return or even basic acknowledgement on mapping because the editor is broken
I know you're having a hard time getting it to run but "only a poor craftsman blames his tools."

Going back to that graph, maybe the people that join in, have a look at what we have to offer and then promptly bailout are the ones with actual taste?

Spoiler: show
hav ay piketur ov ay mayp eye neveyr fynsicchd, eue cain ges wat eit ees

[EDIT: speed2: Please don't act like a moderator biass, you're not one]
[EDIT: Gorton: pm, don't reply here]
Last edited by biass on 23 Feb 2017, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Morax » 23 Feb 2017, 18:41

biass wrote:I know you're having a hard time getting it to run but "only a poor craftsman blames his tools."

EDIT: @downlord, insulting people is not gonna convince them to come work with you, face reality.

I like how you told downlord that insulting people is not a good solution to get people to "work with you" yet you have no issue calling me a poor craftsman :lol:
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby biass » 23 Feb 2017, 18:44

Well:
!): I don't expect or want to work with you (on mapping) nor do i really want to work on mapping (see 2) for moho in general anymore, when RS2 comes out im going to try my hand at mapping for unreal and
2): you have not given us any indication of anything you have created in the editor, at all. I'm not going to assume you're a god and then wait to be disappointed, you need to prove it to me first :P
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Downlord » 23 Feb 2017, 18:45

Note to myself: Asking inconvenient questions is considered "insulting".
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Postby dstojkov » 23 Feb 2017, 18:46

Downlord wrote:Oh, right, and your solutions will solve the (imaginary) "player base issue" within what.. weeks? months? years? Because this 10y old game becomes more popular by the day?
And what makes you say that the, idk., 30 people we have working on all parts of the projects, don't want to contribute?

How long did you say did it take you to build your (still incomplete) web-based lobby, and how many players does it have? Sorry, I wasn't able to find the answer in your post.

Seriously. Face reality.

Like I said .. This is not personal. I didn't change my critics over the year, since the beginning i am continually telling you the same stuff and yes what happen is ... I was tagged as a troll .... Then i leaved it to time since for me you couldn't see in the long term. So guess who is the one that was right now ?

Dude i am not the one who pushed ppl to not play. And just to remember some old behavior of faf's moderator to ban ppl who didn't agree to the one way thinking .... Actually the game is more than 10 years old. And ? there is currently no real concurrent to FA. You are in a leadership position and mange to ruin it !! wow

In the other hand, the time brought me that a lot of troll of the one way thinking are gone now for good i guess they themselves didn't appreciate their own change. Funny isn't it ? Now i feel comfortable with continuing my lobby dev and encourage other people's work that want to really bring something for the future on the table.

And yes .... My lobby was done in less that one year at least the back end and that has barely changed. Stuff that you not have implemented yet !!! Don't make me laugh, i was alone with even not knowing where to start and you today you are plenty. If I could make it everyone can. Just need the will and also encouragement
dstojkov
Evaluator

Next

Return to Off-Topic