Been writing some code

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Been writing some code

Postby Softly » 21 Feb 2017, 00:20

Resin_Smoker wrote:-Why not work with the developers to address what you perceive as FAF's short comings?

-If not helping with FAF, then whats your angle here? I mean really, for the effort involved there has to be some measure of self interest on your part?

-Honestly I surprised you'd come to FAF to "sell" the idea of ending the very service(s) your currently using. For one moment do you even grasp in the most basic way, the arrogance of what your proposing?

Hi Resin, good to get your views.

A lot of things I want to try simply wouldn't be appropriate to test on something the size of FAF. For example, if the whole rating system was to be redesigned, that would have a large impact on everyone in the community. The beauty of a new platform is that I'd be free to experiment a bit initially while I find the best systems, without running into huge opposition.

I've also spent lots of time in the past working on my own and with others to improve FAF, so its certainly not like that isn't something I ever considered doing.

On the final point, I want to make it really clear that I'm not here to end FAF. I genuinely believe FAF itself would benefit from some competition, and likewise any new community I might create would benefit from competing with FAF. Its against my interests to "end" FAF!
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby Resin_Smoker » 21 Feb 2017, 00:31

Either make it a web-based platform or be gone with you...

While that may come off as harsh, the fact is that in todays day and age, it's what players are expecting from a service. Pull that off and maybe, just maybe your work could stand the test of time. Possibly even see some form of intergration with FAF should it be extremely successful.

Be aware however that you need to be clear and upfront about whats in it for you. Otherwise your likely to fall victim to either your success or ego. Blowing smoke up everyones arse or making promises you can keep is sure to bring about the latter.

"before the glory there is always the cross".... well a shit load of folks died in the name of religion without really understanding what they were dying for. (Stupid people) I find it ironic that you'd use a religious reference in a distopian-future science fiction game about military conquest. Farkin hilarious in fact...
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 106 times

Postby Softly » 21 Feb 2017, 00:49

Resin_Smoker wrote:Be aware however that you need to be clear and upfront about whats in it for you.

I just feel like doing it. No other motive tbh, I'm not even interested in playing on the new platform myself.

As for what you say about web based, I'm not sure what web based means in the context. If its relevant, I plan for all the server <-> client communication to be HTTP (setting aside things like IRC chat), as well as being super simple. The client I am making is python, but I am sure that other people in the future will do a better job of clients than me, so I am very focused on making the Server really easy to integrate into.

PS: I happen to be non-religious myself, I was just amused enough by dstojkov's analogy to make it my sig for a while :)
Softly
Supreme Commander

Postby Downlord » 21 Feb 2017, 01:31

Judging from all you've shown me in the past, I don't think you have the slightest chance of success.

[lextoc:] Please stay nice and keep opinions that don't contribute to yourself.
Working on FAF is my passion. Most of you know me for the feature-rich Downlord's FAF Client, but I also program and maintain the FAF server. Visit my Patreon page to get some insights on my work.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 213 times
FAF User Name: Downlord

Postby dstojkov » 21 Feb 2017, 12:45

Downlord wrote:Judging from all you've shown me in the past, I don't think you have the slightest chance of success.

it is not about success dude. It is about trying something new and bringing new perspective.

You did the same as far as I know and when you began you could not say if it will be a success or not so pls show some respect it will not kill you
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby keyser » 22 Feb 2017, 13:44

hello softly,

like most of the other player, i think trying to create a new client/server, will not help. We already see that downlord client brought some conflict into the development team. And i personally think we lack of a leader that decide to drop either 1 of the 2 current client, to focus all effort on 1 client. Ofc this may result into having some developer stopping to help (being disappointed), since it's not an actual company and help is being done thanks to volunteering.
I hear your argument about competition, but i don't think this is the best way to improve the faf.
furthermore, i don't understand how you can find time to create a whole new client/server, while you aren't able to find time to contribute for the current project.

and i agree with a lot of your point on rating and balance. I think you can still invest your time in helping tokyto for making a new ladder rating https://docs.google.com/document/d/16J0 ... COMpk/edit ; and try to apply it (with change) to the global rating too. (that's only an example)

but that's only my pov, maybe you really want to create a new lobby/server, and then you should do what you want to do. That would just be a "waste" of skill for the community. Maybe you can bring more to the community by doing your own client/server, but i think that will be unlikely
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Gruffman » 22 Feb 2017, 16:37

I think the new player drop off is ;

80% because of the learning curve, the gameplay adjustments you have to make transitioning to multiplayer, the frustration of those sudden snipe kills on your acu

and

20% toxicity. Why `noob` players get abused is beyond me, don't we want new players or eventually the game will inevitably die out. As a community we need to start hurting/banning/restricting abusive players much harder imho
Gruffman

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Gruffman

Postby lextoc » 22 Feb 2017, 16:43

Gruffman wrote:20% toxicity. Why `noob` players get abused is beyond me, don't we want new players or eventually the game will inevitably die out. As a community we need to start hurting/banning/restricting abusive players much harder imho

What do you mean with abusive? You can always report players that violate the rules to a moderator. I'll go through ladder games of low ranked players more often.

(Sorry for off-topic)
I'm watching you!
lextoc
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 227 times
FAF User Name: lextoc

Postby Morax » 22 Feb 2017, 22:28

slow-dragging-mind-games-and-gambling-efficiency-effect.gif
slow-dragging-mind-games-and-gambling-efficiency-effect.gif (493.61 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Softly » 22 Feb 2017, 22:53

keyser wrote:hello softly,

like most of the other player, i think trying to create a new client/server, will not help. We already see that downlord client brought some conflict into the development team. And i personally think we lack of a leader that decide to drop either 1 of the 2 current client, to focus all effort on 1 client. Ofc this may result into having some developer stopping to help (being disappointed), since it's not an actual company and help is being done thanks to volunteering.
I hear your argument about competition, but i don't think this is the best way to improve the faf.
furthermore, i don't understand how you can find time to create a whole new client/server, while you aren't able to find time to contribute for the current project.

and i agree with a lot of your point on rating and balance. I think you can still invest your time in helping tokyto for making a new ladder rating https://docs.google.com/document/d/16J0 ... COMpk/edit ; and try to apply it (with change) to the global rating too. (that's only an example)

but that's only my pov, maybe you really want to create a new lobby/server, and then you should do what you want to do. That would just be a "waste" of skill for the community. Maybe you can bring more to the community by doing your own client/server, but i think that will be unlikely

Hi keyser, thanks for the well thought out reply.

I have contributed plenty of time in the past to FAF, that was always my first option for trying to support the FA community. That said, there are a variety of reasons which mean that putting more time into FAF isn't viable for me, and so having spent some time considering the options I decided that this was the best way forward for everyone involved.

You make a great point about leadership too; although I'd diagnose the problem more as organisational issues in FAF than us lacking "leaders". There's plenty of super people around!

My dream scenario is to have a community which can share improvements with FAF; if I come up with a great new rating system for example then there's no reason that it couldn't be implemented for FAF, and vice versa.

For the moment I've had enough positive feedback both in this thread and through a few other channels that I am happy there is support for me to go ahead on this, hopefully I'll be able to bring you on board in the future :)
Softly
Supreme Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic