Been writing some code

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Been writing some code

Postby speed2 » 20 Feb 2017, 00:37

Is this Call for a web based platform 2.0?
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Softly » 20 Feb 2017, 01:23

speed2 wrote:Is this Call for a web based platform 2.0?

Nope.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby KeyBlue » 20 Feb 2017, 05:24

Apart from me not understanding how you can have time for a whole new project, but not for helping out in the current one.
(Maybe can't find enough motivation to invest the time?)

You haven't actually explained much, have you?
Only thing you said is that you want to start a new community with a new client in an attempt to get more people playing FA due to their being another alternative to steam and FAF.

What will the differences in user experience be?
How will you avoid breaking up the community so much that it can't continue any longer?
Will you copy/steal/use/... FAF's game code changes or just start all over from the steam version?
How will you give me the balance i want? ( can't really tell you i want your balance if you don't tell me what it is going to be....)

Basicly what will make me or others enjoy your alternative client more than FAF?
If you can convince me then yes i would we interested in your alternative.

But I'm not interested in the empty box you've shown us so far.
KeyBlue
Priest

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 93 times
FAF User Name: KeyBlue

Postby biass » 20 Feb 2017, 06:14

Do it Softly.
Prove the Naysayers wrong.

If you manage to solve player retention then you've done gods work honestly.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby dstojkov » 20 Feb 2017, 12:07

Congrats mate you made it till Off-Topic Thread !!!!! :D

Don't be discouraged !! It's actually a great honor and remember before the Glory there is always a cross ;)

I will not anymore feel lonely in the Off-Topic Thread !!!!

But ... Prepare for some challenge since i ll resume the dev of my lobby soon

Glory to the Princess !!!! :D
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby nine2 » 20 Feb 2017, 13:49

i don't think you can do it, but if you manage to solve player retention -> then im a fan :)

so good luck
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Softly » 20 Feb 2017, 20:01

KeyBlue wrote:What will the differences in user experience be?
How will you avoid breaking up the community so much that it can't continue any longer?
Will you copy/steal/use/... FAF's game code changes or just start all over from the steam version?
How will you give me the balance i want? ( can't really tell you i want your balance if you don't tell me what it is going to be....)

Basicly what will make me or others enjoy your alternative client more than FAF?
If you can convince me then yes i would we interested in your alternative.

But I'm not interested in the empty box you've shown us so far.

You're 100% right, I have been very light on details so far, but that's mostly because I don't know the details myself yet.

I'll just mention a few things that might help give you a better idea of my thinking:

Rating
The rating system as it stands leads to a lot of players stressing about their rank, and encourages some unpleasant/abusive behaviours too (insults if you make a mistake, not allowing in new players, etc).

The benefits of the rating system I want to keep include how it allows people to balance games, and something positive to aim to improve.

Some things I want to try:
Hiding precise rating from everyone but yourself, (although perhaps a "personal best" number could be globally visible).
Making what other people see more generic, like "Player X is Bronze rank" or something similar.
Making the auto-balance options in lobby better to compensate for this lack of precision.

Balance
I see balance right now as an unhappy middle ground between people who want more changes, faster; and people who think we're already making changes too quickly, causing bad decisions to creep in.

I want to try splitting the main balance into two mods, the first for people who prefer slower change, and the second for those who really want to push the limits of FA.

In the first mod there would be a very deliberate and slow process for making changes; with each change designed to incrementally affect the meta.
In the second mod we'd be adding in cool new stuff like nomads, blackops units (where possible), with each change designed to push the possible without imbalancing factions. (There's a big difference between balancing factions, and balancing the game)

Historically I would see myself falling into the first camp, but I've also loved getting involved in things like the nomads mod in the past too. Lets recognise that different people want different things.

Development
FAF is carrying some really complex code around, and it can be hard as a new developer getting started. A lot of this is due to legacy reasons that we can't do much about anymore, and so by starting fresh I think I can make something that more people can contribute to.

A while back someone wrote an interesting opinion piece about why the FAF python client wasn't suitable for further development; I guess many of those things could also be said for other bits of the FAF code base.

==== ==== ====

There's lots of other things to be said about a myriad of other issues, although this post is already long enough :)
Softly
Supreme Commander

Postby Softly » 20 Feb 2017, 20:02

biass wrote:Do it Softly.
dstojkov wrote:Don't be discouraged !!
Anihilnine wrote:so good luck

Thanks for the support, means a lot to me.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Postby Blackheart » 20 Feb 2017, 22:32

Assuming certain factors (no extreme nepotism like in FAF for example) i would return to play as well as contribute to balance on a working alternative client and give my best to get as many people as possible to switch over. I wish you the best! :)

(It would be nicer if FAF would fix those problems, but it wont happen)
Blackheart
Priest

Has liked: 294 times
Been liked: 299 times
FAF User Name: various

Postby Resin_Smoker » 21 Feb 2017, 00:02

A few things come to mind here...

-Why not work with the developers to address what you perceive as FAF's short comings?

-If not helping with FAF, then whats your angle here? I mean really, for the effort involved there has to be some measure of self interest on your part?

-Honestly I'm surprised you'd come to FAF to "sell" the idea of ending the very service(s) your currently using. For one moment do you even grasp in the most basic way, the arrogance of what your proposing?
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 106 times

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic