Mafia Submod

Moderators: Duck_42, mead

Mafia Submod

Postby mead » 19 Aug 2013, 14:24

The original Phantom mod was in large parts inspired by the game Mafia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_%28party_game%29). However, due to peculiarities of FA (fewer players per game, long games), the core gameplay is quite different and typically a fairly straight-up team fight.
I decided to make a submod that I hope will require significantly more manipulation, communication and non-combat assistance between players. This Mafia mod can for now be enabled via a lobby option in the newest Phantom X update and will automatically choose its own proper settings. It is currently in alpha stage - meaning that while the core features are implemented, it is neither complete nor balanced.

REQUIREMENTS:
    any map with a civilian faction (this faction can be hidden, like on Roanoke Abyss v5)
    at least 6 players (the mod will technically work with any number, but for the best gameplay experience, the more players the better)

The game rules are similar enough to Phantom X to be familiar. Everyone starts allied, and after a few minutes, the following roles are assigned by the mod:

Mafia: Unlike in Phantom, all Mafiosi are on a team and need to work together. They are revealed to each other shortly after assignment. Each Mafioso has a special ability (on a cooldown) to call down devastating meteor strikes on a target of his choice. As the game progresses, the cooldown period gets progressively shorter. Mafiosi win if all Innocents and Detectives are dead.

Detective: The 2 Detectives are on the same team as the innocents. They are not aware of each other. For a significant up-front mass cost, the Detectives can investigate a player of their choice. They will be told if that player is a simple innocent or has a special role (which could be either the other Detective, or a Mafioso). The mass cost for investigating increases with the duration of the game (similar to the Phantom X paladin mark).

Innocent: They have no special ability and win once all Mafioso are dead.

Many thanks go to Duck_42 for his invaluable help and assistance in modding this.
mead

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: mead

Re: Mafia Submod

Postby Swkoll » 20 Aug 2013, 02:54

Is this live?
"Only the fear of the hypnotoad is preventing me from raging right now." - ColonelSheppard
"Swkoll is a genius, let's accept this and move on" - VoR_Gorton
Swkoll
Contributor

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 41 times
FAF User Name: Swkoll

Postby Duck_42 » 20 Aug 2013, 03:17

@Swkoll,

There's a lobby option in Phantom-X to enable the Mafia variation. Mead's still in a very early testing stage right now, so you may encounter bugs or imbalanced game play.
Duck_42

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: Duck_42

Postby mead » 20 Aug 2013, 12:20

Duck_42 wrote: so you may encounter bugs or imbalanced game play.

You will encounter bugs and imbalanced gameplay.
mead

Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: mead

Postby DeadMG » 21 Aug 2013, 18:25

To be expected for such a stage of development.
DeadMG
Crusader

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: DeadMG

Postby Man_At_Arms » 29 Aug 2013, 20:17

I thought it was based on ttt.
Man_At_Arms
Crusader

Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Man_At_Arms

Postby L_i_v_e » 30 Oct 2013, 18:47

cool mod, bus lot imba, meteors are too strong, no way to win for innocents, they should be changed with t2 arty shells, cause when mafioso shot 50... problems income...
L_i_v_e is a signature u.u
L_i_v_e

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: L_i_v_e

Return to Phantom-X